General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about downsizing photos?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:34 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Question about downsizing photos?

I'm able to put my camera in the manual mode and downsize photos OK if taken inside. Today I went for a ride and took some outdoor photos but they didn't turn out because of the lighting. If I put my camera in auto mode then everything is good except for the size being to large to upload. I'm hoping someone good with cameras might give me some tips. I have looked at my owners manual but haven't been able to figure it out yet. Thanks for your comments.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:22 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Doesn't make sense. Exposure shouldn't have anything to do with your selection of the size of the photos. It's generally best to take the largest, highest resolution photos possible, save the originals, and downsize those you need smaller. I use Photoshop to reduce either the image size, or the DPI (or both) to create a smaller file. I'm sure you can do the same in any photo editing software.

Last edited by MidnitEvil; 02-28-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:23 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Use a photo hosting site and this won't matter.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Doesn't make sense. I exposure shouldn't have anything to do with your selection of the size of the photos. It's generally best to take the largest, highest resolution photos possible, save the originals, and downsize those you need smaller. I use Photoshop to reduce either the image size, or the DPI (or both) to create a smaller file. I'm sure you can do the same in any photo editing software.
This.

It generally considered to keep your camera on it's highest quality/largest size setting. You paid for those extra megapixels, no reason not to use them. I had a buddy as my photographer for a rock crawling competition, found out afterward that he had the camera set on one if it's lowest settings, so what would have been some really good pictures sucked and were small.

I use Photoshop also, not only can you adjust photo color, size, etc...it also gives an option of what compression to use, which can shink the file size at the cost of quality.