General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High flow air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Donefarmin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High flow air cleaner

I have a 08 Ultra. I would like to install a high flow air cleaner that uses the stock cover sicne I have a Willie G on the cover. Does anyone know who makes this type of cleaner. I assume I can install this with the existing EFI and not have any issue. I assume the EFI will adapt. Any advice. I have see this, just wondering who makes it. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:49 AM
JonV
Tourer

I'd Venture K&N or "maybe" ITG

Old 02-28-2010, 09:01 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure there is a Screamin Eagle I air cleaner which can use whatever football you have now.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:04 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My bike had the Screaming Eagle hi flow air cleaner...but you will need to remap and should do a complete Stage1 kit or your bike will run really lean and could burn the valves.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:07 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this...

Screamin' Eagle® Stage I Air Cleaner Kit - Twin Cam Models

Kit features a one-piece cast back plate with integral breather and mounting brackets for simplified installation, and a "state of the art" synthetic media washable air cleaner element that does not require oiling. If you want more torque from your Twin Cam-equipped model, this kit provides a freer breathing capability to pump-up the power of your EFI-equipped motorcycle. This kit includes air cleaner, breather, and all required hardware. Street legal when used with stock mufflers. All EFI-equipped modelsrequire ECM calibration (priced separately).

Twin Cam 96 Stock vs. 1584 Stage I Kit Performance Chart
29260-08

As above, you should look into the download also. Not sure, smarter tech-oriented guys on here then me, but the standard I have read is change A/C you are OK. Change muffler or pipe only you are OK. Change A/C and muffler and really need to have stage I re-map at minimum.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:18 AM
jdaws
Advanced

SE and K&N if you want to keep the stock cover. Open up the exhaust and add a fuel controller for a stage 1. The stage 1 download will only get you back to the stock settings . Add a fuel controller for more power and a cooler running engine.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jdaws
SE and K&N if you want to keep the stock cover. Open up the exhaust and add a fuel controller for a stage 1. The stage 1 download will only get you back to the stock settings . Add a fuel controller for more power and a cooler running engine.
What he said..............if ya wanna keep the cover....know alot of guys that have switched to SE Heavy Breather and experienced a "LOSS' on the dyno's up to 6-8 HP/TQ......go figure........

Old 02-28-2010, 10:22 AM
timbex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
My bike had the Screaming Eagle hi flow air cleaner...but you will need to remap and should do a complete Stage1 kit or your bike will run really lean and could burn the valves.

If you are only installing a high flow air cleaner and some new mufflers there is no need to remap. The stock ECM will adjust itself to these small changes on your '08. If you want to really see the benefits of these mods then you should remap.

I have the SE air cleaner and you can use the stock cover. If I were to do it again I would get the one from Zippers Performance, better filter (thicker) and cheaper.

Last edited by timbex; 02-28-2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-28-2010, 10:41 AM
jdaws
Advanced

The SE air filter element is not as free flowing as a K&N. You can add a K&N element to the SE base. It would be less $ to just go with a K&N kit. You realy need to add a fuel controller if you make any mods. Your ECM will adjust, but you will run leaner and create more heat. Adding fuel with a controller will give you better throttle response, more power and a cooler running engine.
Check out dobeckperformance and look at the TFI gen.3.
Simple plug and play and very user friendly

Old 02-28-2010, 11:24 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Arlen Ness big sucker, you can use the stock cover. It comes with a preoiled K&N element, is a breeeze to install (20 minutes), and it was 136$ at phatperformance.

Quick Reply: High flow air cleaner