General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High flow air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:28 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My HD parts guy chuckles to himself when someone insist on changing their se air cleaner to a K&N..........Since K&N makes the SE air filter for HD.........they are one in the same according to him

Old 03-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Mr_B
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the SE air filter kit. I changed the filter element to a Zippers filter that fit the SE hardware. I needed more are flow. It made a big difference.

__________________________________________________ _____

01 RK, 95 cid, SE Stage IV, Mikuni 45

Last edited by Mr_B; 03-01-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:29 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by timbex
The stock ECM will adjust itself to these small changes on your '08.

Not enough. The stock maps on the 96 engines run hot because they are so lean from the factory to meet emission standards. Adding more airflow will only jack up the heat and the stock map will only adjust it down so far. I would never do it without re-mapping.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:31 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by HD7585
My HD parts guy chuckles to himself when someone insist on changing their se air cleaner to a K&N..........Since K&N makes the SE air filter for HD.........they are one in the same according to him

Not anymore...maybe the big sucker style but the regular SE airfilter is paper and the K&N is not. I have both. K&N used to make the SE air filter several years back.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:49 PM
CarbideDude
Tourer

If you do the job yourself, make sure you remove the stock bracket. It's in the instructions right there, "remove stock bracket." So don't overlook that. Make sure you REMOVE THE STOCK BRACKET.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:53 PM
AZ Ultra Unlimited
6th Gear
Default Air Cleaner

Get a hold of Jamie at Fuel Moto. I purchased a air cleaner setup from them and it works great. Stock cover fits perfectly. 2007 and up Delfi ECM compensates for change in air flow and slip on pipes. It will not run hotter or leaner. Check out Nightrider site (XIEDS) for the straight skinny.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:27 PM
jdaws
Advanced

Adding a fuel controller will complete a stage 1.
The ECM is constantly trying to keep the A/F ratio at a (Stoichiometric) 14.7:1. This is the ratio that Harley has to have to meet federal emissions. The same as cars and other gas burning vehicles.
Yes your ECM will adjust to keep the A/F at 14.7:1.
This ratio is lean even with a stock engine, Do you ever notice a slight ping on excelleration. Adding mods just compounds the problem.
Air cooled engines run better and cooler at a lower A/F ratio. of 13.0:1 or so. this is what they like.
Adding a fuel controller will allow you to do this and won't effect the ECM. I have pipes and air cleaner on my dyna. I added a dobeckperformance gen.3 controller also. It made a big difference in the sound and power.
Just to experiment I adjusted the controller to the stock settings and rode. My engine pinged and ran like @#$&. I went back to the stage 1 settings and wow.
I strongly recomend the dobeck product. Its plug and play and user frendly. You owe it to your loved one!

Old 03-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Mr_B
Road Captain

check each manufacture to find out what the CFM is and go from there.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:10 PM
mjrobinson
Cruiser

Screamin Eagle Stage 1.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:28 PM
ajamie
Novice

I just replaced stock 08' Fatboy air cleaner and muffler with screaming eagle air cleaner and slip-ons yesterday. The new air cleaner (which is round) will work with the football shaped or round air cleaner covers. It is really easy to do yourself. I asked the service department and they said just slip-ons and you do not have to adjust the ECM. If you add a high flow air cleaner you will need to re-adjust the ECM or risk burning your pistons. The download for the ECM is $150.00 + $50-$75 labor. They did suggest that a race tuner is the better way to go, however. This will cost $800-$900 after 3 hours of dyno work. This info is per a service tech in the Milwaukee area.

Quick Reply: High flow air cleaner