Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Move from MI to TN..sales tax?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:08 AM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Move from MI to TN..sales tax?

We are going to move from MI to TN. Our current vehicles are registered and purchased here in MI, my truck, wifes Denali, Harley and bass boat. When our license plates or in case of the boat, registration expires, will we owe additional sales tax on our vehicles? We paid MI sales tax of 6% and TN is 9%. I was told we would owe the difference of the 3% to the state of TN when we register and plate them. Looking for REAL, someone has done this. NOT what seems right. Anyone know for sure??

The key here is they have been previously registered and sales tax paid in the current state that we reside.

??

Old 02-27-2010, 10:19 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Never heard of a state charging sales tax, some have excise tax at registration which can get pretty steep and is based on year, but never heard of sales tax.

In Indiana we had excise tax every year and as bikes/cars got older it went down. Moved to AZ and they have excise tax also! Can't win on the tax-man game.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:25 AM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been *told* since my post that cars and trucks are exempt as are other "personal belongings". EXCEPT, motorcycles and boats are not exempt and will be charged their market value. Guess I'll call the state of TN on Monday and ask for something in writing.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:28 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Moved here a couple years ago from Alaska and didn't pay any tax when we registered our vehicles.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:28 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Your thread had me curious.....TN's DMV site was not real clear but I found this from another forum.

Default I was in the same situation
and had absolutely no problem. In my case I was from NY and had titles for both cars. I had to sign a statement that I had not lived for XX number of years in TN (in my case, my whole life). There was no tax, just the registration fee, maybe around $20 or so.

Of course with older cars bought before title papers started to be issued the TN motor vehicle people are aware of this and there won't be a problem. They're pretty much up on what other states are doing. You'll be OK.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...#ixzz0gkpYyXfT

I think you will be OK.....suggest you call a branch in the county you are moving to and get the straight scoop! Good luck!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
Never heard of a state charging sales tax, some have excise tax at registration which can get pretty steep and is based on year, but never heard of sales tax....
Well, now you can say you have heard of it. in Illinois we pay 6.25% sales tax on vehicle purchases. No personal property tax but every other tax you can think of.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:49 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
Well, now you can say you have heard of it. in Illinois we pay 6.25% sales tax on vehicle purchases. No personal property tax but every other tax you can think of.
Let me clarify.....never heard of a state charging sales tax on an already owned vehicle when the owner moves into a new state. I believe that is what the OP is asking about.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:12 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
Let me clarify.....never heard of a state charging sales tax on an already owned vehicle when the owner moves into a new state. I believe that is what the OP is asking about.
I wouldn't think that any state would make U pay sales tax again on a vehicle already bought and paid the taxes while living in another state because U move and Ur new state that has higher taxes and then access U the diff.

I knew one co-worker yrs ago that bought a car out-of-state, he had to pay taxes in the purchase state and then once back home here in Ind. the BMV tired to charge him the full amount again... It was a mess, I know he said He'd never do that again..but I don't remember if he ended up paying twice or not...

Last edited by oct1949; 02-27-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:23 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by oct1949

I knew one co-worker yrs ago that bought a car out-of-state, he had to pay taxes in the purchase state and then once back home here in Ind. the BMV tired to charge him the full amount again... It was a mess, I know he said He'd never do that again..but I don't remember if he ended up paying twice or not...
I think most states look very carefully at cars, bikes, etc purchased out of state by people. Some may have done it "back in the day" to avoid their own states sales tax, but I don't think anyone can get away with that anymore.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:32 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Florida has an impact fee for bringing out of state vehicles into the state, but that applies to residents I think, not sure if it applies to 'immigrants'. Well, actually, it used to be called an impact fee. That was contested, and the people 'won'. It is no longer legal for the state to enforce an impact fee. So now they have changed the name, but the fee remains under a different name.

Tennessee needs more citizens, and their taxation is quite different than most of the more populated states. Except for the larger cities, I think you will find their government a bit refreshing. I'd be there now, except for the fact there's no ocean in Tennessee! (I need salt water baths ever so often to rid me of the fleas and ticks! )

Quick Reply: Move from MI to TN..sales tax?