General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are bolts usually included with kits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Twat
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are bolts usually included with kits?

Kind of an odd question, but I'm a new owner and in the past weeks I've ordered some parts from ebay and none of them, even the ones that advertise they include all the necessary hardware, have included the bolts needed to mount everything. I've contacted the sellers asking them to send the bolts since they advertised everything was included but haven't heard anything back yet. I was just wondering if it's standard for the bolts to not be included.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,539 Likes on 932 Posts

It would help if you post the part numbers. Some parts don't come with bolts as you can use the ones that are on the bike like rotors, sprockets (HD recommends to replace the bolts any time you change it), rocker covers, etc.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Twat
Novice

I've received a saddlebag guard rail for a Street Glide, 49282-09b, and an engine guard for a Softail, 49004-00A without the needed nuts and bolts. I'm thinking I'm just unlucky.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming you bought used parts, the fasteners would be used anyway. Personally, I never use used fasteners. It's easy enough to go to a decent hardware store or whatever and get new ones, usually for a few pennies. And you can choose ss over zinc or other garbage, and get the size and washers you want etc. [shrug]

Old 02-25-2010, 09:47 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Both of those kits include all hardware needed assuming they were new kits.. You are unlucky.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Twat
Novice

Both were advertised as new and came wrapped up like new parts. If I don't hear back from the sellers by tomorrow I'm just going to run out and buy new fasteners.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:57 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ****
Both were advertised as new and came wrapped up like new parts. If I don't hear back from the sellers by tomorrow I'm just going to run out and buy new fasteners.
My buddy just got a bunch of parts from Lakeshore HD. The axle covers were missing the hardware. He called them & they are shipping the parts right out. Chit happens.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ****
The engine gard should have self locking nuts. Better off with new and get a decent grade bolt.

I bought brand new footpegs and mounting brackets from the dealer and they came without the bolts. $160 worth of pegs with no bolts. Bolts were $12.95 extra. LOL Your engine gard should have had them.

But if the price was right? Don't sweat it! They're only bolts.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

I ordered a tour pack spoiler for my 09 Ultra from my dealer. It's a special order part because it has to be painted to match. When I got it home and started the installation, I discovered they (Harley, not the dealer) shorted me two mounting bolts and one rubber washer. I just wound up heading to a local auto parts store and bought the hardware I needed. Of all the Harley parts I've I bought for my bike, this is the first one that didn't have all the needed hardware if it was supposed to come with it. Fortunately, it wasn't a big deal to find what I needed and the installation was otherwise uneventful.

Good luck with your issues!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

if new! and say they come with hardware,ie handcontrols,you should get em,things like rotors and pulleys wouldnt,pipes would,same carb etc,depends on product

Quick Reply: Are bolts usually included with kits?