General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing out wheels - 3 hours labor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:52 AM
dumernarock
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwideuce
i didnt say i put tyre on a rim, nor did the stealer! the tyre shop put it on,i stated that! i took my custom rim, with bearing in to tyre shop,10 mins including balancing,
no bike doesnt have axle covers on it,my signature pic shows the *** end with new wheel on clear as day!has axle bolt covers,3 turns of an allen key either side!
so your already saying now standard time is 1.1 hours,so thats already saved 1.9 on one wheel stealer was charging her!and thats rear!! front heaps quicker!
if you by a tyre,from a bike tyre shop,not a stealer,it costs you the same for the tyre fitted and balaced,weather you take bike in,or just the rim!i put a 180x18 bridgestone on,fitted and balanced $360nzd, so about $240 us
now i said 3 hours was a rip off, i did it in one hour and you called me superman,now your saying job takes an hour??
now dumernarock
you are right,total job took a week,but an hour to change wheel, piece of cake if it was just tyre change out,i had to custom fit wide tyre rim i bought on ebay to fit on my bike!so i had to jack up bike,take off wheel, mock up new rim,make some measurements for how much to be machined of hub,13mm, and 5mm off axle spacer!then i put original wheel back on, i have bimmer but my scoot is pretty much ridden daily ,so got it up and running!removed hub on aftermarket rim, took it to engineers had hub and axle spacer machined,this was during the week,no rush as bike was running on standard rim,and was going to do it at end of week!
end of week,put machined hub on rim,jacked bike,took of standard wheel,removed rotor and pulley,during week had bought new rotor bolts from stealer!replaced them when put rotor on new rim,used loctite on hub,rotor and pulley bolts,then but new wheel back on,so i did several tyre changeovers in a week, only taken wheel off once previuosly,when tyre was flat,so took wheel off to have puncture repaired!
so yes job did take a week,but a straightforward wheel change, with rotors and pulleys would only take an hour, rear wheel!
geezer even came clean and says its a 1.1 hour charge out, which they would do quicker! so thats 2.2 hours for to tyres,right geezer??
so the stealer is trying to rip her off 3.8 hours?? at what?$90 an hour here
stealers or not??
Ok, I still dont understand.

She is replacing two wheels with "non standard wheels".(may or may not fit due to the chroming)
Does she need bearing installed?
She has a VRod Muscle, the exhaust has to be removed.
Does she have anti lock brakes?
Do the bolt holes need to be tapped out due to the chrome?
Is the runout on the rotors and pully still acceptable after the chrome
She is having her old tires put on the new wheels.

It took you a week to do one wheel, they will be doing two wheels on a totally different kind of bike in 6 hrs with out knowing what they are up against.

Is 6 hrs to much?
maybe, maybe not.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:20 AM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Lisa: A couple of thoughts.

1. Make sure you get an axle bolt kit for the rear wheel and use the new bolts on it. The rotors should have new bolts as well. All should be loctited.
2. Have the mechanic check your swingarm bushing while the rear wheel is off.
3. Make sure they inspect your drive belt carefully
4. If you are near new brake pad time now is a good time while pulling the calipers off anyway.
5. Have them check the rear wheel to front wheel alignment

BTW, my dealer charged 2.25 hours to install & balance my Roadwinder wheels and swap the tires over.
Thanks for input and I'll ask them about these things

After reading the posts, the 3 hour/wheel didn't seem out of line so I went with the HD dealership. The wheels were properly prepared so there was no additional chrome in the places it shouldn't be. I had a biker friend call and ask for a quotation and he got the same as I did so it's coming out of a book - they know him and wouldn't try to BS. If the work takes less time they charge for the time it took. I don't know if they ever take less time, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. They've done good work in the past.

Next topic is a custom paint job, but I've asked that question before and know the prices are all over the map. I can't wait until the bike is done and I can just ride it

Lisa

Old 03-03-2010, 10:37 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
You said you did it in 10 minutes read your post...And then re read mine I said if the bike had axle covers...I didn't say your bike we aren't even talking about your bike...I was stating that we don't even know what the bike in question (muscle) has on it...You are spouting off about incompetence and ignorance and don't even realize what is being discussed.
"down,i had a new tyre put on the rim earlier,fitted and balanced 10 mins,took me longer to choose the tyre"

ok so your wrong again on that one! clearly says "i had" new tyre put on a rim, 10 mins,
i no you were talking about scenarios of bikes but you said i was superman to change a wheel over in an hour, maybe you better re read!
i will change that to ignorant and stealer!
i realise when someone is being ripped off cause they a women,ok if she went to a tyre shop, said i wanted two new tyres for a vrod,got the rims and bike in the shop, said i want the new tyres on those rims,,they would do it for the regular price of the tyres,not with additional 6 hours labour? right or wrong????

ok dumernarock
i will type slowly! mine was a custom application were hubs were machined>the argument is how long it takes to change some wheels over,it takes one hour, i changed mine over several times and thats all it takes!!this women is changing v rod wheels over for v rod wheels,thats straight forward change over,my wheels arent for my bike,the hub was for a big dog!if they were custom wheels to fit deuceit would of been a straight forward change over!! and i repeat!! these guys do it dat in,day out,air tools, lifts etc!!

thats it for me for this post,so go for your life geezer!!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:55 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,355 Likes on 2,534 Posts

i guess you can call me dumernarock too cause when i read your post, i read it as you changed it all over in 10 mins.

i was ready to throw the bs flag on that one.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:02 PM
kevmic28
Road Warrior

I just had 2 tires put on my sporty over the weekend. Took about an hour and a half. My indy charged me 40 bucks. Didnt have to take the exhaust off like the vrod but did have to take the custom chome legs off my front forks. That price included taking the wheels off the bike.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:09 PM
SuburbanMom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Holy crap, people!!!!! Don't start WWIII over changing a tire!!!

Good luck, Lisa!