General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 more KILLED

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010 | 06:15 AM
t059736
|
Road Captain
Default 2 more KILLED

So a 20 year old steals a car; takes a ferry, turns right of the ferry, drives for 60 miles and then pulls an illegal left right in front of a motorcycle being ridden by two people. His pulls the left so quickly in front of the motorcycle; the rider doesn't even have a chance to lay the bike down. He's killed instantly, the passenger - she dies on the way to the hospital. Two really GREAT people snuffed out.
Makes you wonder if the expression; "When your times up....." does have meaning.
Ride In Peace
G

Old 02-24-2010 | 06:39 AM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master

Thats a sad day. Back a few years, my uncle and aunt and another couple had ridden down to Florida, Georgia for a summer trip. They get in to Atlanta and the couple with my uncle gets a phone call, their son hit a deer on his bike back home and was killed. Leaving Atlanta that morning, a moving van ran a stop sign and struck the couples motorcycle, running over and killing both of them instantly. A family of 3 killed on their bikes within hours of each other over 700 miles apart. My aunt could not get back on the bike and had to take a flight home. Its been a few years now and she is just getting comfortable enough to get back on it. To all who have lost their life on 2-wheels, Ride in Peace, Rest in Peace.

Old 02-24-2010 | 06:42 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master

In situations like that, I wonder if being in an car would have made any difference.

Old 02-24-2010 | 06:57 AM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master

Originally Posted by StreetGlider57
In situations like that, I wonder if being in an car would have made any difference.
Honestly? i dont think it would have in any case. And I know im probably just as bad as the next guy, but when im in the cage and not the bike, i dont pay attention as much to those around me as i do when im on the bike. Maybe if more people did, things like this wouldnt happen.

Old 02-24-2010 | 07:11 AM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master

One week ago. Friends brother-in-law saved for two years to buy a Harley. Finds and buys a 2001 Dyna, loads it on a trailer and brings it to my friends house. My friend test rides the Harley up and down the road. All is well, he spends an hour talking to his B-in-law about the bike. It has been over 30 years since the B-in-law has ridden a motorcyle. but insists he can ride the 20 miles to home. My friend did try to talk him out of riding it home, 15 minutes later he loses control of the bike on a curve, hits a tree and dies on impact. No alcohol was involved, and no health issues were apparent. An EMT traveling behind him said he saw the bike get squirrely(sp) on the curve and the rider headed straight for the trees. After an investigation by the State Police the following information was announced, 1. Alcolhol was was not involved. 2. No apparant health issues involved. 3. No debris or oil on the curve that would have caused him to lose control. Front tire had not blown but the rear tire had broken it's seal and the tube was sticking out after it hit a large sapling before hitting a bigger tree. Age 54, wife, two grown children. End of story.

Last edited by snakeinthegrass; 02-24-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-24-2010 | 07:32 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Old 02-24-2010 | 09:20 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

It could happen to any of us, at any time!

Old 02-24-2010 | 11:00 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Sometimes there are no do overs. I have known a couple of riders who had to sell their bikes over skill problems. Not everyone is equipped to ride. Survival on a motorcycle is a combination of a lot of things.

Old 02-24-2010 | 11:11 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

That is exactly how I got hit 30 years ago. I didn't have time to let off the throttle and the guy (DUI) didn't even know I was there until my bike drove itself into his grille and stuck there still running (that always amazed me). I cleared the car only catching my left hand on the luggage rack (station wagon) breaking all 4 fingers. The hit on the street is what cracked the bones in my neck and seperated all my ribs then the 50+yard slide got the rash. Had I hit the car with my body the blunt force trauma would have surely killed me. My Bell helmet saved me.

But I do now firmly believe in the "When your number is up"" theory and do believe that God decides when we leave the planet. Because there is really no reason I should be sitting here.

Old 02-24-2010 | 12:33 PM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
But I do now firmly believe in the "When your number is up"" theory and do believe that God decides when we leave the planet. Because there is really no reason I should be sitting here.
I agree 100%. When i was 19 i was hit head on at 60mph by a woman who was late taking her kids to school. Went through the windshield, broke the steering column with my chest, and landed on the ground rolling to a stop barely missing getting run over. I came away with a lot of brusing, a couple cracked ribs, cracked collar bone, and 136 stitches in the face. You cant tell me someone didnt have my back that day. No airbags, no seatbelt..nothing. Kinda makes you look at things in a differant light after that. I know my time will come someday, but im doing my best not to make the man upstairs wanna speed that day up any!

Quick Reply: 2 more KILLED