General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tennessee/N.C riding question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:54 AM
htrod9592
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tennessee/N.C riding question

Heading to the greaty smoky mountain park area on march 11th for a week of riding. Definitly be riding the dragons tail. Wondering if anyone can give me the do's or dont for riding in the area.Good places to see, eat, ride,etc. We will be staying in gatlinburg and will be riding into N.C. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:06 AM
joeschmoe
Road Captain

Suggestion would be to STAY AWAY from Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg...TOURIST TRAP!!!

Seriously traffic is a nightmare in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg...

Here are the roads I suggest to go ride:

US 129 (The Dragon)
US 143 (Cherohala Skyway)
US 360 Road between Vonore and Tellico Plains
US 39 Tellico Plains to Athens
US 68 Tellico Plains to Anywhere in North GA
and a bunch more just look at the map!!

Bring a jacket as it will probably STILL be COOL if nto COLD in MArch!! Ride safe

Old 02-23-2010, 09:10 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Add to the above;

Hwy 28 (from the S end of the Dragon)
and of course, the Blue Ridge Pkwy between Cherokee and Asheville.

And I agree that March is still pretty cold, especially at the higher elevations. I usually wait till mid April.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Slopneck
Road Master

Definitely Blue Ridge Pkwy and Dragon's Tail.

Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are around Pidgeon Forge and Gatlinburg, take 338 Douglas Dam Road, then over to Hwy 139. It goes around Douglas Lake. Did that one last year with the wife. Was a perfect pull over park and picnic ride. Beautiful country and great roads as well.

Pardner
Cruiser

I found this route (http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...r/share/289733) to be one of the most enjoyable routes while I was up there. It takes you from Gatlinburg to the northern end of the Dragon. The part that goes through the Great Smokey Mtn. Park has a very nice little stream that hugs the road the whole way. The speed limit is 30 and for me, I'd have gone 20 if I coulda cause its such a nice road. BTW, if you take this route and miss your turn and end up on the "cades coves driving trail", be ready for your heat management system to kick in. We ran into a line of cars moving along at 5 mph on a one way road that takes about an hour to go around the loop. Saw a little bear running across the road, lots of deers that you could just about walk up to, all that nature sorta stuff. But, the bike was not happy.

Also, take your heated clothing ... it will be cold.

Last edited by Pardner; 02-23-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 AM
SuburbanMom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not quite sure where in NE TN it is but the Devil's Triangle is out there and it's a very curvy road like the Dragon.

Have a fun and safe trip!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:19 AM
JWitz
Tourer

Good advice from all....my wife and I ride the mtns up that way regularly as we are in South Carolina....it is all great....the Blue Ridge between Asheville and the Park is a beautiful ride but March is a bit early.....I can tell you now when you ride around on the back side of the mtn with a big rock face you will feel like you are riding through a walk in freezer....April would be better and with the kiddies still in school the traffice in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge isn't nearly as bad....Have Fun! The Dragon Tail and Cherohala loop is about a 130 mile loop and is a great trip......there are some good maps on this link..... http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps.html

Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not my cup of tea but the wife would probably like the Biltmore Estate in Ashville! Hit it late April and the gardens may be in better shape, my ol lady hits that place with the girls a couple times a year. Mid summer stay away from Servierville, Pigeon Forge, Gattlenburg area! I have been stuck in that traffic down there and just about melt down on the newer bikes!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:39 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SuburbanMom
I'm not quite sure where in NE TN it is but the Devil's Triangle is out there and it's a very curvy road like the Dragon.

Have a fun and safe trip!
It is TN62 and Tn116. I rode it two summers ago and it was pretty bad. Coal trucks have it messed up. Dirt and gravel all over. Took the fun out of a good portion of the ride. May be better now.

Quick Reply: Tennessee/N.C riding question