General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tennessee/N.C riding question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Robin A
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by htrod9592
well Im from northern illinois where it is in the 20,s with 3 ft of snow on the ground. We ride here as long as the roads are clear and its above freezing, so im not worried about the weather there in march. Sounds like alot of good riding areas. How about the cops? How do they treat out of staters, etc?
They're the bread and butter,ride like a adult-no problem.

Robin

Old 02-23-2010, 03:14 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by htrod9592
well Im from northern illinois where it is in the 20,s with 3 ft of snow on the ground. We ride here as long as the roads are clear and its above freezing, so im not worried about the weather there in march. Sounds like alot of good riding areas. How about the cops? How do they treat out of staters, etc?
There's been a lot of snow in the NC mountains this year. 58 inches on the ground right now on Mt. Mitchell. NC can get snow well after March. The Parkway suffered a bad ice storm earlier in the winter and there are lots of trees down on it in places. It will take them a while to get it opened this spring. I would check with the NPS about road closures before heading to the BRP this March.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:00 PM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior
Received 951 Likes on 399 Posts

Rt.421 to Shady Valley. "The Snake" is a good ride and a stop at the Shady Valley Country Store for a break.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:44 PM
FBLJosh
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the Foothills Parkway! Beautiful road and very scenic. Kind of like a shorter Cherohala. As said before, way more nice roads than just the Dragon, which I will probably never ride again. Weekdays aren't bad, but I will NEVER go through there during a weekend, EVER!!!! Too many "racers". Anyway, have fun, it most definitely be cold. I would be sure to be making my way back to base camp by dark or shortly there after. I grew up in those areas and love it. I can't wait to move back there to ride those awesome roads. Have a great time for me too!!

Old 02-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Big_cityreb
6th Gear

Wheels through time museum in Maggy Valley is great place to visit.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot all about road closings. It's remarkable how much that can happen around there, unexpectedly. I think the BRP website used to pubish closings on the Parkway. You might want to call the local police departments for a bunch of the towns and ask if they know of any closings. Could really mess up your trip.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:03 PM
jdallenemtp
Road Captain

Beware the areas you are talking about riding are all higher elevations, bring warm clothes and expect some snow on those routes especially in the BRP and the Cherohala Skyway. Here in Tennessee we get some of our biggest snows in early March.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Harleyinnc
Cruiser

If you like Muscle cars theres a awsome museum in Sevierville TN just north of Pigion Forge
http://musclecarmuseum.com/
Wheels Through Time is only open on a limited basis now. Check there website to see if there going to be open just before you leave on your trip. It's well worth the time to go there.
Also I 40 is still closed near the Tenn/Nc line from a rock slide, so getting around there will be alittle tough. As stated in other posts, They have gotten alot of snow this winter in that area and there calling for a storm march 2nd. Check the Deals gap website before you go also. They usually have the road conditions posted on there. http://www.dealsgap.com/

Old 02-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,123 Likes on 3,659 Posts

If you are in Waynesville a good place to eat is Bogarts, or Mount Pisgah inn on the BRP...You can get the quickly from Waynesville taking 276 e... There is a nice dive hole in the wall on Wayah rd... Between Franklin and Robbinsville, it's at the cabin rental on the lake.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:16 AM
heritage3dale8
Advanced

two words.....it's going to be cold as ******** you know what! but you might be used to it, being from up there.
Ride safe

Quick Reply: Tennessee/N.C riding question