General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tennessee/N.C riding question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're a brave man doing this is March. It will be chilly. Much more fun in the warmer months, and I think you'll find a lot of places either closed or on limited staffing etc. But hey, at least you won't have a lot of traffic.

I disagree with those who say avoid Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Of course they are touristy. But that can be fun if you just get in the right frame of mind. Lots of things to do, restaurants, shops, etc. And that's where the better hotels are (unless you want to stay at one of the big mountain resorts). A couple of suggestions. Route 321 E out of Gatlinburg can be a nice little ride, up 25-30 miles. Maybe circle back down 411. I would definitely take 441 down thru the Park to Cherokee and Maggie Valley. Lots of fun stuff there and it's a gorgeous route. I would also take the most backwood route you can find up to Blowing Rock and Boone (walk out on Blowing Rock, it's beautiful).

You all can keep the "Dragon". You couldn't pay me to go there again (haven't been in years). Way too much traffic, too many stupid kids on sport bikes, too many cops, etc. It amazes me the focus this stretch gets, when there are hundreds of miles of beautiful, mountainous, windy roads all thru those hills, with little or no traffic. My approach to riding in the Appalachians is -- if you see a road in the middle of nowhere and you don't know where it goes, take it. I've found some wonderful places and met some great people that way.

Still, I've done all this many times. If I were going (and I will be this summer), I would take remote backroads down into the soutwest portion of NC, Cherokee County and the lakes and villages west of Murphy. You want to experience the Appalachians, you want off the beaten path...that's the way to go, imo. Just be prepared for the unusual.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 AM
htrod9592
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well Im from northern illinois where it is in the 20,s with 3 ft of snow on the ground. We ride here as long as the roads are clear and its above freezing, so im not worried about the weather there in march. Sounds like alot of good riding areas. How about the cops? How do they treat out of staters, etc?

Old 02-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never had a problem with Cops, I dont know how many bikers you see there this early in the year, but the times we have road down there, they were always out and about, but bikers are some of the biggest revenue for that area, so i dont know how much they want to mess with you. They dont want that bad rap on them

Old 02-23-2010, 11:00 AM
smokehiker
Road Captain
Default Devil's Triangle

This is very rough. Olddude48 is right.....lots of gravel on the roads (especially in the curves). And it is not any better now.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
You're a brave man doing this is March. It will be chilly. Much more fun in the warmer months, and I think you'll find a lot of places either closed or on limited staffing etc. But hey, at least you won't have a lot of traffic.
Thats one thing i thought of and forgot to mention, alot of the roads, especially those crossing the mountains and crossing into N.C. could be closed. I want to say the last time we went it said they were closed through March or 1st of April, someone might correct me on this though?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:06 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thru Tennessee twice in the last 12 months and received tickets both times. The "You ain't from around here, is ya?" variety. Because I ain't from around there, I won't be back for another donation any time soon. If you just can't stay away, try #410, near between about Boone NC and Mountain City Tennessee.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:52 PM
HD 472
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget the Foothills Parkway....It's a great road, and scenic too....

Last edited by HD 472; 02-24-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:26 PM
joeschmoe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by olddude48
It is TN62 and Tn116. I rode it two summers ago and it was pretty bad. Coal trucks have it messed up. Dirt and gravel all over. Took the fun out of a good portion of the ride. May be better now.
Yeah, this is the Devils Triangle and is all crapped up by the loggers and miners....and the cheap patch jobs

I live here and if you ride the Dragon on WEEK DAYS it is fine as the crotch rocket kiddies are in school but if you hit it during the weekend COPS and idiots are everywhere, even in March....the cops that patrol the Dragon will typically cop (no pun intended) an attitude when they find even the slightest violation be it helmet, pipes, etc... during the weekend

I have never had any issue with cops but I'm a local yocal but trust me I DO NOT do the speed limit, just keep your eyes open...Yes there are tins of GREAT rodes to ride, If you have time run up to Bristol, TN and ride US 421 another GREAT ROde and probably better than the Dragon and LONGER but it is getting patrolled regularly now by THP...

Any direction you go from Gatlinburg will be fun unless you wind up at Cades Cove, it's an 11 mile loop with only 2 cut thrus and then it only takes an hour to get thru instead of the usual 2 hours...You can do "the loop" which takes you from The Dragon to Cherohala Skyway or vice versa and it takes a good 4 hours if you cruise thru it, otherwise if you push it you can finish it in about 3 hours....

Last edited by joeschmoe; 02-23-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Learn to ride the white line on the dragon and stay off the yellow. You'll be surprised how many fewer riders you'll meet coming at you just exactly where you're riding. In other words, all types of riders tend to overdrive the curves and wash into your lane. If you're riding the yellow, you're in danger. If your riding the white, you're ok.

Just a lesson learned.

Bub

Old 02-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Robin A
Cruiser

Cherohola,dress warm.........Have fun

Robin

Last edited by Robin A; 02-23-2010 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Tennessee/N.C riding question