General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Music, Chains, and Belts.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:35 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts
Default Music, Chains, and Belts.....

Just finished reading a thread about what kind of music folks like to listen too when riding. That prompted me to start this one.

I know I'll catch hell for it but I figure if I'm getting **** for something it gives someone else a little break.

I've got this thing about putting "car ****" on/in Motorcycles. What I mean by that is....Stereo's belong in cars. Electronic Cruise control belongs in cars. Belts belong on Car motors. Chains belong on the "Outside" of Harley-Davidson Motors. I've been pissed at the MOCO since they started putting belt drives on their bikes. I know that they started out with belts but something about it just seems unnatural to me. However one of the bikes on my "wish list" is an 82 FXSB Sturgis which has both belt primary and final dirve....Go figure!

Then they went to a chain balancer in the the Softail motor. Nothing I can do about that except to ride a different model which I refuse to do. I have however converted my final drive to a chain and will put a set of gear drive cams in when the original tensioners get worn out to the point of needing to be replaced.

I spend a great deal of time on the road and away from my bike so I rent when I have the time and last year I rented a SG. It had a stereo and cruise control on it. When the guy at the dealer where I rented it started to go over how the stereo and cruise worked I told him not to bother, I wasn't going to use either one. I had the bike for two days, put about 900 miles on it and never turned on the stereo or the cruise.

Anyone else feel the way I do?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:39 PM
transam7969
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to the extent you do but i personally like the sound of my pipes and just being out so i'd never have need to listen to music while riding

Old 02-22-2010, 10:49 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It would be a boring world if we were all the same. I like my present bike with all the goodies, but I also liked all the other bikes I have owned without all the goodies.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:51 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Iron, that's fine- whatever you like.
I told myself for a decade on the sortail that stereos belonged in cars, but when I threw a leg over the Ultra I changed my mind...now I have a choice-- off or on-- kinda nice.

No worries Mate!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:05 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Didn't say anything is wrong with driving a car with only two wheels and no doors or roof if that's what you like to do. Just asked if anyone else feels the way I do? I know I have some......what's the word they use nowadays?...OH ya, "issues". Just wondered If I'm the only one. So far it looks like I am.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:15 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by IronAss
Didn't say anything is wrong with driving a car with only two wheels and no doors or roof if that's what you like to do. Just asked if anyone else feels the way I do? I know I have some......what's the word they use nowadays?...OH ya, "issues". Just wondered If I'm the only one. So far it looks like I am.
OK.....I admit that wasn't fair and I apologize for it...totally uncalled for. I really like all Motorcycles and was not slamming anyone that rides a bagger or anything else.

Just asked if anyone else feels that way I do. I knew I'd catch hell. No big deal

Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always said that when I ride, I don't like outside disturbances...no stereo and I have no use for intercom devices...just the sound of the bike and the surrounding environment...noise intrudes on me enough in everyday life, that I don't need it on the road...

And I've been known to leave a riding group when someone insists on playing their stereo when I, or others have asked them not to...it's bad enough when one is doing it, but it's sheer noise pollution when there's several jamming out to different tunes...if you're by yourself, do as you please...but when with others, a little common courtesy please...

Old 02-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, fwiw, I agree with some of what you say, but some of it I just don't understand.

For example, I am a fan of simplicity. That's what made the FXD so appealing to me: simple, and I can make it even simpler. I added the quick-disconnect windshield and other features as a concession to my wife's comfort, but prefer the bike in it's basic form. Now that I have the sidecar, I want a second bike so I don't have to take it off and on. And I'm leaning toward a stripped down bobber of some sort, as basic as possible. I don't have a GPS. I like using maps, or just being lost. No stereo, no heated gear etc (although I do like engine gauges and can't get enough of them, I like knowing what is going on in my engine).

So yeah. But I don't get the fascination with chains. To me, they add nothing but additional noise, maintenance and a whole, um, chain of possible break points. And they're a pain at the beach and require constant inspection and cleaning. Belts are awesome. You get the direct drive (as opposed to a shaft), but quiet and maintenance free and they almost never break. Is the whole chain thing just a nostalgia for the bikes of yesteryear? Or is there something else there?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:03 AM
khyber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SG is my 1st with the option; sometimes I feel like you do (no noise other than the wind and bike) and sometimes I don't (and I listen to the music). Guess I just swing both ways on this one.....

Old 02-23-2010, 08:37 AM
psycho-relic
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey IronAss,
I agree 98%, but I'm a belt guy, which has nothing to do with this.
There is not one piece on my bike that isn't needed for the bike to run. Hell, most people think I don't even have a seat. It's just a machine. Pure function/zero bull$hit. No radio, GPS, fringe, chrome, covers, windshield, bolt-on crap. It makes it's own music, and that music is sweet.

Attached Thumbnails Music, Chains, and Belts.....-p1010002_12.jpg   Music, Chains, and Belts.....-p1010003_12.jpg  

Quick Reply: Music, Chains, and Belts.....