General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Music, Chains, and Belts.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 02:41 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
Ya..That's what I'm talkin bout.....Hold on a second. I've said this before and I'm gonna say it now........Am I gonna be pizzed off when I figure that out?
Probably not. ... and I was half serious. The original motorcycles had no suspension, no brakes, no throttle (just on/off - all go or no go). They were daredevil machines ridden only by crazy people. I have always felt that is the true heart of riding a bike. As such, I, like you, think a bike that is most true to that nature is as much a no frills machine as possible. Bikes that have more... somewhere underneath whatever is added that daredevil machine is still there.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:52 PM
norgepa
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer to keep my bike simple, '08 FXSTC - No radio, GPS etc.....

If I want it and I do for longer rides and 2-up riding. I take along my IPOD, Garmin, and I put on my quick detach windshield. The overnight rides I use throw-over bags. The nice thing is it all comes off when I go home.

Attached Thumbnails Music, Chains, and Belts.....-mvc-054s.jpg   Music, Chains, and Belts.....-visitedstatesmap.jpg  
Old 02-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master

You know, I was thinking, I've repaired many a broken chain, including on the side of the road in South Carolina (on the way to Myrtle years ago). But I've never had to repair a belt. ... Then I read IA's post above, and I realized, if I ever do have to, it ain't gonna be on the side of the road... Hadn't thought of it that way. Hm.

I tend to favor improved functionality that doesn't interfere with beauty. I love the look of a chain drive, so there is some compromise with the belt system on that level. But in the end it's sort of a trade-off. How much does it compromise beauty, as compared to how much it improves functionality? And functionality in that context includes reliability (ie, how often does it break). I still have to believe the frequency of belts breaking has to be very very low at this point.

But then there is still the beauty... I hope we never lose that. .... Now you've got me wanting a chain drive, dammit!

Old 02-23-2010, 06:36 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Didn't HD start with belts?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:58 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scoteh

I've had people ask me what I mean by my signature...well...THERE'S a fine example...

Anyone who'd do something like that should have their MC endorsement revoked for life...

Last edited by *NIGHT TRAIN*; 02-23-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
Who says bad taste isn't a crime? Anyone who'd do something like that should have their MC endorsement revoked for life...

Even in jest, I find that such a bizarre attitude, it's hard to comprehend. What difference does it make? I think the thing looks cool, and at least someone is making radical custom designs. That's a whole lot more interesting than buying a stock bike and just riding it, regardless of what you think of the aesthetic of the thing.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:03 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

yeppers,,, no radio or cruise.... period...........

don't even use the cd or cruise very often in the car or truck other than the tapes we have...which is not what a lot of U would like, as their sunday mornings tapes...

Old 02-23-2010, 09:12 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
Even in jest, I find that such a bizarre attitude, it's hard to comprehend. What difference does it make? I think the thing looks cool, and at least someone is making radical custom designs. That's a whole lot more interesting than buying a stock bike and just riding it, regardless of what you think of the aesthetic of the thing.

My comment wasn't in jest...serious as a heart attack...

But if you think it looks cool, get ya one...

BTW, your dog is cool...

Last edited by *NIGHT TRAIN*; 02-23-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by psycho-relic
Hey IronAss,
I agree 98%, but I'm a belt guy, which has nothing to do with this.
There is not one piece on my bike that isn't needed for the bike to run. Hell, most people think I don't even have a seat. It's just a machine. Pure function/zero bull$hit. No radio, GPS, fringe, chrome, covers, windshield, bolt-on crap. It makes it's own music, and that music is sweet.
Damn nice ride you got there...

Old 02-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
My comment wasn't in jest...but if you think it looks cool, get ya one...

Um, thanks. I don't really want one, and I don't have room in the garage. I just find the judgmental attitude a little weird, that's all. I mean, who cares what someone else rides? There's a lot of odd custom machines out there, and I'd far rather see people doing that than buying canned vehicles of any make and just driving/riding them. To me, that's kind of what this country is all about -- individualism, ingenuity and, well, fun.

Quick Reply: Music, Chains, and Belts.....