General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Music, Chains, and Belts.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:48 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 02-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When we had the Ultra, I kept forgetting there WAS a radio.

And ya couldn't wind it up and drop it, the 124" woulda taken the belt out.

Not zacklee sure where in the H*LL that puts me IA.

I have BDL belt primaries on both the pan and shovel. Needless to say, no tunes.

IF I want 'conversation', NO intercom. Jus' go off the meds for 2 days, instead of one or 2 voices, there's a whole herd. Pack riding at it's finest.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Add me to the no radio list.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:32 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
Always said that when I ride, I don't like outside disturbances...no stereo and I have no use for intercom devices...just the sound of the bike and the surrounding environment...noise intrudes on me enough in everyday life, that I don't need it on the road...

And I've been known to leave a riding group when someone insists on playing their stereo when I, or others have asked them not to...it's bad enough when one is doing it, but it's sheer noise pollution when there's several jamming out to different tunes...if you're by yourself, do as you please...but when with others, a little common courtesy please...
Reminds me of a story.
When I was still active, it happened that I rode fairly often with one of the german chapters. One of the members, Langer (means "Tall one"), was an older (50-ish, I was in my mid 30s) beat up outlaw. I used to make fun of him, kinda "everyboy on the bikes in 10 minutes, Langer, find a probate who helps you get on", stuff like that.
Then, one day, Langer (he was around 7 foot 2 inches) showed up with a new Ultra, and as we get ready to rock, he turns the music on and takes off. I couldn't believe it. POLKA! And farking loud! At the first gas stop, I told him to stop that, as pretty much nobody wanted to ride even close to him. He didn't give a flying fugg. More Polka. even louder! Half the way, I couldn't take it anymore. I was riding the taillight position (the place for the sergeant at arms), passed the whole group, and yelled at him, at around 90 MPH. He just made a sign that he didn't undersand me, because the music was so loud. Anyway, Langer did that for 2 years, that ****.
One day, I had to borrow his car, and of course, I go through his CD collection to see if there was anything that was close to my taste. I couldn't believe it. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, all the good stuff. Back at the clubhouse, I asked him why he was torturing the whole chapter with his polka crap when we were riding. He told me that he was playing the same polka CD over and over, and that he bought it especially for us to pizz us off. Just because we always made those old man jokes. He hated it as much as we did...
We found Langer a couple weeks later, in his garage, in riding gear and his colours on his back where they belonged. Heart attack. God, I loved that brother. RIP, Langer.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:10 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
Just finished reading a thread about what kind of music folks like to listen too when riding. That prompted me to start this one.

I know I'll catch hell for it but I figure if I'm getting **** for something it gives someone else a little break.

I've got this thing about putting "car ****" on/in Motorcycles. What I mean by that is....Stereo's belong in cars. Electronic Cruise control belongs in cars. Belts belong on Car motors. Chains belong on the "Outside" of Harley-Davidson Motors. I've been pissed at the MOCO since they started putting belt drives on their bikes. I know that they started out with belts but something about it just seems unnatural to me. However one of the bikes on my "wish list" is an 82 FXSB Sturgis which has both belt primary and final dirve....Go figure!

Then they went to a chain balancer in the the Softail motor. Nothing I can do about that except to ride a different model which I refuse to do. I have however converted my final drive to a chain and will put a set of gear drive cams in when the original tensioners get worn out to the point of needing to be replaced.

I spend a great deal of time on the road and away from my bike so I rent when I have the time and last year I rented a SG. It had a stereo and cruise control on it. When the guy at the dealer where I rented it started to go over how the stereo and cruise worked I told him not to bother, I wasn't going to use either one. I had the bike for two days, put about 900 miles on it and never turned on the stereo or the cruise.

Anyone else feel the way I do?
Heck yea. can't stand the belt. Chain easy to work on can replace one in a few mins. Cost less then a belt. Don't need no radio cd or ipod wanna hear the wind ,pipes , and chain. I now ride a Trike got to pull the whole back end off the Trike plus take the diff apart to replace the belt. A chain nothing comes off.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:28 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

no windshield, no stereo, no cruise.

my pipes make sweet sweet music and that's good enough for me. last year my dad and i put about 500 miles on the bikes one saturday and i started the trip with my i-pod on, earbuds in. 30 miles later i took one earbud out. at the first gas stop i turned the whole thing off and put it in my bag. i felt deaf out there. i'm a firm believer in riding with all of your senses, and to me, not being able to hear a car coming up or a potential horn just threw me completely off kilter.

i've ridden my pops' street glide some and fugged with the radio a little. nothing appealing about reaching in to change stations on the dash, no thanks.

BUT when we ride, i look over at him and he's cruisin, humming along to a WHO cd or something and just enjoying himself. i guess after 40 years of riding hardtails and choppers and big engine customs he's enjoying the spoils offered to him by his bagger.

to each his own, some of it just isn't for me.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:52 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
Is the whole chain thing just a nostalgia for the bikes of yesteryear? Or is there something else there?
To a large degree it's the something else. I agree that the chance of a belt breaking is pretty slim as are the chances of someone winning the lottery. People win the lottery every week and when I was working as a Harley Tech 20 years ago we replaced a fair amount of belts with relatively low miles on them. Granted the belts of today may be of a better quality then the ones when I was a wrench but the amount of work involved in a belt replacement is enough for me to go back to the chain.

Replacing a belt is not a job that most would want to do on the side of the road. A chain repair on the other hand is a job that is easily done on the side of the road.

My last bike was an 84 Evo Softail which came stock with a chain. I rode it for 20 years prior to getting my 05. I ran O ring chains which when properly maintained will last well beyond 50,000 miles. I do lube and check my chain adjustment about every 1,000 miles or so but it's not a time consuming thing to do and it is a good time to find any other problems that may be lurking around down there.

I am curious as to how often most of you actually do check your belt tension? I know for my bike it is recommended every 5,000 miles but I wonder how many actually do check it? Because most people feel belts are pretty much bullet proof I would think the number is rather small. I also wonder how many take a look at the teeth on the pulley? Not an easy item to check unless you have removed your belt guards. Worn teeth which are usually caused by loose belt was one of the major causes of belt failure when I was working on them for a living.

It is however also a Nostalgia thing for me. I do like the looks and simplicity of the older bikes but I also like the dependability of the new ones. Baker Drive Line makes a 5 speed Kicker kit that I plan on installing on my bike in the fall.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:12 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
I've got this thing about putting "car ****" on/in Motorcycles. What I mean by that is....Stereo's belong in cars. Electronic Cruise control belongs in cars. Belts belong on Car motors...
Anyone else feel the way I do?
Yeah! I feel the same way! Seats belong on cars. Wheels & tires belong on cars! Brakes belong on cars! Only wimpy bikers need car stuff on their bikes!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:13 PM
psycho-relic
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya on the difference between replacing a chain as opposed to a belt. No argument there, but I put a new Gates belt on in 1991 and have over 200,000 miles on it. I made sure it was straight from the get-go and check the deflection every time I head out (yep, every time). I don't have any guards to get in the way so it's no big deal, and with the open primary, I could probably swap one out in an hour (in the garage, not on the roadside).
On the other hand, I've heard some real horror stories about 'em, and I can understand anyone being wary of belts simply because of what it takes to replace one.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:27 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Yeah! I feel the same way! Seats belong on cars. Wheels & tires belong on cars! Brakes belong on cars! Only wimpy bikers need car stuff on their bikes!
Ya..That's what I'm talkin bout.....Hold on a second. I've said this before and I'm gonna say it now........Am I gonna be pizzed off when I figure that out?

Quick Reply: Music, Chains, and Belts.....