General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any lane splitters here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 04:24 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't say that I've ever done it. Used the shoulder, but never went up the middle. Of course, it's real illegal here anyway. Fortunately, I rarely have to ride in any bad traffic. Always freaks me out when I'm in Cali and a bike comes blowing by. Makes me check about 50 times before I make a lane change!!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:26 PM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I usually don't split traffic that is moving normally. I split when traffic is heavy or at a dead stop. I also split to get up to a the front at a red light when cars are stopped. Not only does this save time, but it also prevents you from getting rear-ended by some idiot on his/her cel phone.

If on my Harley, I tend to be a little more patient and just wait it out while keeping an eye on the mirror. But on my ZX10R I almost always split up to the front at red lights and through slow traffic.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weaving cages that like to run staggered is always a hoot as well. If you're feeling extra saucy try splitting Semis at 100 mph on a windy desert highway and taking both hands off to drag down the sides of the trailer. Yeah buddy, them's good times.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:32 PM
lucky chuckie
Tourer

I love driving in Athens Greece. They've been doing this stuff forever. Wanna have fun on a motorcycle drive in Athens!!!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:41 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default lane splitting to zig zagging

Quote: love splitting lanes and never really did it until going to Cali and trying it, now I can't get enough. I like it so much I built the Shovel specifically for this. It's not quite legal in AZ so I try not to do it too often but every now and then if traffic isn't moving how I think it should I'll find the thin line between the cages. Zinging between the cages at 80 mph sure is a damn good time. Makes a guy feel alive! Anyone else like living dangerously.

Why don't we just warp this thread into "Stupid *** things to do to **** everyone off on the Forum"

Off topic: I knew a guy once who thought he could stick his head into the throat of an A-7 when it was firing up on the flight deck. Real brave guy. Thank god he wasn't surrounded by idiots.

Last edited by hommes; 02-22-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:47 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shovelhead Jack
Weaving cages that like to run staggered is always a hoot as well. If you're feeling extra saucy try splitting Semis at 100 mph on a windy desert highway and taking both hands off to drag down the sides of the trailer. Yeah buddy, them's good times.

I almost died laughing when you did that.... wish i could have gotten that one on camera.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:48 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When riding my scoot I try to be as courteous as I would like to be treated. Splitting lanes never appealed to me. My 2 cts.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack
When I lived in Cal. I used to split lanes all the time and the CHP encouraged it. When I moved to AZ, it really p**sed drivers off. They would see me coming in their rear view mirrors and cut me off and even try to sqeeze me between them and the car in the lane next to them. They really didn't like it at all.

I think it works well until a cager wants to change lanes ON you.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:52 PM
BLACK BAGGER
Road Captain

you can sit in traffic and snort gas fumes if ya want ta i on the other hand have better things to do with my time now who's got a fuzzy vision.? i 'll split when i feel i need to .

Old 02-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned

Originally Posted by hommes
Why don't we just warp this thread into "Stupid *** things to do to **** everyone off on the Forum"

Off topic: I knew a guy once who thought he could stick his head into the throat of an A-7 when it was firing up on the flight deck. Real brave guy. Thank god he wasn't surrounded by idiots.

Stop being a Nervous Nelly. Some like to take it easy some don't. Why would anyone here be pissed off about my riding habits? If it's because I give bikers a bad name by scaring the **** out of cagers as I pass them at twice their speed with a thunderous roar out the drag pipes, just try and remember, cagers have been hating bikers for a long time, I hardly invented that program.

The key to splitting is doing it quickly enough that the cagers don't know what happened until they see your taillight. Can't leave them time to try and pinch ya.

Last edited by Shovelhead Jack; 02-22-2010 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Any lane splitters here?