General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Wish

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:44 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wish

I keep thinking about this motorcycle accident I saw last week. It was too bizarre and I can't get it out of my head.

My wife and I are in our car on the 15 Fwy...the major artery between Vegas and L.A. Traffic is medium weight and everyone's cool going about 75. We just about jump out of our seats when this guy on a crotchrocket passes us going maybe 100. The bad thing was that he missed the driver side of my car by about 1 inch.

About 2 minutes down the road we see traffic backing up. I knew what it was. When we came up on the crash scene it was like seeing a horror movie. Blood everywhere. The bike was cut in half at the gas tank. Six cars were twisted around in the road and a big rig was sideways across all 4 lanes. That guy was a mess but it looked to me like he was still breathing. He had some people attending to him in the Hwy.

The next day i read in the local paper that two drivers saw him wheelstand at over 100 miles an hour and clip the back of a toyota as he passed. He then smashed into the side of another car and was shot over the handlebars and smashed out the rear winshield of a third car with his head. He then hit the road and a car and then a van ran over him.

The only way I can make sense of all this is that maybe he went suicidal but he sure did mess with the psychological well being of alot of people that day.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:52 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear. We've all done risky things we should not have. Things like that give me a reminder that things happen quick. Some will say he was askin' for it, and maybe he was. Didn't say if he survived.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Brewers_Fan
Cruiser

I've been on that same stretch of highway when traveling from Utah to California. And I've seen that same type of crap there. About two years ago we were there on our way to Disneyland (think mom and dad and kids in the mini-van) when these dudes on crotch-rockets lane split us at 90-100 mph and a couple of them started doing wheelies right there on the freeway. I remember one guy in particular because of his helmet, one of those Mohawk looking deals. He rode a wheelie for probably a quarter mile at better than freeway speeds. I couldn't decide whether to be impressed or completely disgusted. Mostly disgusted since those idiots give us all a bad name.

I don't blame you for not being able to get that stuff out your head. Those types of things stick with you. Bottom line is that he was being an idiot. Maybe he wasn't suicidal but he certainly didn't place a lot of value on his life. Riding in traffic has enough risk without asking for more.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:10 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

The guy was out of control maybe on drugs, coulda killed some innocent people. I feel sorry for the others involved not the rider

Old 02-20-2010, 09:20 PM
skipper469
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DPete
The guy was out of control maybe on drugs, coulda killed some innocent people. I feel sorry for the others involved not the rider
My sentiments exactly! Dumb or under some influence; 50/50 either way!

Old 02-20-2010, 10:06 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just drove that same hwy last month and saw almost the same thing...2 young guys on sport bike riding with out regard for their life or anyone else...their time will come too.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:13 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I see those guys here on I-77 & I-90 in the Summertime. Once a guy on a sportbike dressed in t-shirt, shorts and tennis shoes pased me at 100+ mph on a side street with his girlfriend on the back (dressed the same way) no helmets. All I could do was think to myself that Darwin was right.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:17 PM
icewater103
Road Captain

I've seen two crotch rocket accidents in the last year, both caused by this same type of riding. Then last fall I'm riding US 211 in WV and meet one coming at me left of center; right in the apex of the curve giving me the "low waive". I was still cussing his azz when I crossed back into Virginia. I got nothing against sport bikes. Hell I owned a couple twenty years + ago, and I admit I rode too fast and pushed my luck but I just don't know wtf these guys are thinking nowadays. Wheel stands in traffic at 100+? That ain't *****, that's insanity.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:20 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

No age mentioned on the rider, we were all young and foolish at one time or another. We were industructable in our own minds .
However the circumstances, it's a bad day when a fellow biker goes down. Had a bud try to beat a fright train at a RR crossing, he lost the bet. Who knows what's going thru their minds at the time? Not preaching, just sayinng.

Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 02-20-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:01 PM
mr xr
Advanced

Knew a guy who liked to hop slow moving freights as a ride home....

Tried it drunk one night and went under the wheels. Part of him survived, and got the nickname "train-wreck".

What really freaks me is the rockets that run up on you while you're riding, so fast that you wonder how they didn't hit you.

Quick Reply: Death Wish