Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Wish

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:54 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm just glad that when I was a young, foolish idiot I was riding a dirt bike. I ate more than my share of trees and other natural obstacles, and I was lucky I never got hurt worse than I did. I've always ridden much more sensibly on the roads. I still have a dirt bike for the times I want to ride like an idiot, which seems to happen in a much lower gear nowdays!
The witnesses to the accident, the rider's family, and his friends are the innocent ones who for pay for his actions. I feel bad for them.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:04 AM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When you're teens & twenties you're mind has not matured yet, your are invincible. I did a lot of crazy **** on my '66 Sportster which I can't believe even now. How is doing 140 on my '68 GTO sound to you, crazy? Not at the time, I was having a blast & had no death wish.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:23 AM
tonygret
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son had a R6 and when we rode together I always told him, if you are going to ride like an idiot then don't ride with me. I don't want to be there when they scrape you off the road. He respected my request when we were together, but after laying it down twice while riding on his own he finaly sold it. What a relief!

That being said, I did some pretty stupid thing on bikes when I was young. I didn't think I was invincible, but I didn't think I'd make it to 21 either.

Last edited by tonygret; 02-21-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:26 AM
ColoradoBill
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

booze, drugs, or hormones. eventually the result will be the same. DOA.

Just gives the politicos another excuse to write more laws to keep the insurnace lobby happy.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:32 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I realize this subject is about sport bikes and a crash at 100 MPH but I've seen Harley's after a 75 MPH crash that can do just as much damage and injuries.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:45 AM
CLASSICRYDER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seeing a bad accident sticks with all of us you just have to push it to the back of your mind and keep going. I lost a buddy of mines last year when riding and the whole accident and scene plays over in my head everyday....
Time will make it better...

Old 02-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think manufacturing and selling 180-190mph "street" bikes is completely irresponsible,
but I don't want to see laws against them, either.

Unlike some examples already given, out here in the Real West you are often able
to ride for 30 or miles on very good secondary roads without seeing anyone and
a number of riders I would call responsible do ride in the triple digit range when the
conditions allow.

Dangerous? Certainly more so than doing the 70-75mph legal limits, but the public
is not put at risk. Riding fast is a judgment call and some people don't have any..

Old 02-21-2010, 12:20 PM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's old riders and there's bold riders but there's no old, bold riders.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only casualties of this are the people that were driving along obeying the rules of the road and were involved due to this idiots stupidity.
One less idiot on the road. Still have way to many left...

Old 02-22-2010, 01:13 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Our07Ultra
The only casualties of this are the people that were driving along obeying the rules of the road and were involved due to this idiots stupidity.
One less idiot on the road. Still have way to many left...
Although, in any accident, we don't really know the unintended victims were not also idiots. As you say, there are way too many left, so it's entirely possible one idiot may provide some service in taking out several idiots at once.

Quick Reply: Death Wish