General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:38 AM
primostoy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dyno tune

I've been told by several people that a dyno tune will not be of any help on a carborated bike, any comments on this? I don't mind paying the money if its put to good use but.......well you know.....

Old 02-20-2010, 03:37 AM
SJ12DS
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I have not had mine dyno tuned by anybody but you can dial in the best AF ratio to produce the most power and to fit your mods. I just have a free flowing exhaust, air cleaner and rejetted my carb and dialed it in to the smoothest idle speed at spec using the idle mixture screw. You can tune any engine for the best performance regardless of a carb or EFI. Carb to me is just easier and less expensive. EFI requires you to remap the AF mixture using one of the electronic gadgets like power commander or the SERT to get the richer AF mixture needed to perform with the increase of air from the free flowing Air cleaner and possibly heads if you have that work done. Look at any race engine most of which used to be carburetors NASCAR for one that tune their engines for the best AF mixture depending on where they will be racing high or low altitude, dense air or humid conditions and so on. Like I said I tuned mine with just a tachometer and the carb rejet and it rides very well and with no discoloration of my pipes. I could probably get it dialed in more if I had it professionally tuned on a dyno but I do not think that for my mods that is necessary. I have been doing it like this for about 22 years now and not just my own but my friends as well and never had any popping out the carb or discoloration of the pipes or any drivability issues. Hope this helps. Someone here that has had a professional tune will let you know more. Also look in the tech pages here as I am sure there are many more articles here. Another place to look is at nightrider.com(I think that is correct) they show dyno sheets for carb and EFI. The link is also in the tech sections under engine mods I believe. Good luck. Once you dial one in it gets easier from there and you get a feel of what is good and what is not.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:11 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't need a dyno tune, but you do need to know how to read your spark plugs, search for "reading spark plugs" here or on google, tons of information out there and I know that it has been posted here at least twice (because I posted it) but more likely 100 times. With a good plug reading you can tell as much, if not more than a dyno can.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:18 AM
SJ12DS
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

True Dope man. I always read the plugs to see where the AF mixture is at. Normally after tuning it with the tachometer and mixture screw it is good to go but I do read the plugs after to confirm where the mixture is at. Good point. Like we both said there is so much in the tech section on this already and that is the best palce to start.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:26 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

That comment is B.S.! A good DYNO can improve the performance of any bike, CARBED or FUEL-INJECTED. Once it's dynoed, you know that you are not leaving any performance on the table. You will be getting the max. out of your engine, no more second guessing!!!

Old 02-20-2010, 04:53 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Thats my opinion,too old school.Learned a long time ago when at the strip to dail in the fuel mixers,and timing.It works the exact same way for street rides.I did pick up an AF gauge to check my work,realized that it was a waste of money.Good luck