General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nova Scotia laws pertaining to motorcycle turn indicators

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:21 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nova Scotia laws pertaining to motorcycle turn indicators

ok firstly mods if this is in the wrong section feel free to move and let me know where ya moved it to so i can check on it.

most of you who have gotten to know me probebly figured out i love being a royal PIA to cops but in a nice legal way. anyway i had to go through the whole licencing process when i moved to nova scotia casue the dr in ontario when he revoked my comercial drivers licences in 2006 forgot to add " does not apply to passenger vehicle licences held by mr X" on his stupid form anyway i went throug hthe whole process of gettign all my persona llicences back and when i did my parking lot test for my mc endorsment the examiner fought with me about the legality of my bike not having turn signals * manufactured in 1969* and finally said he can proceed with the balance test but when i got back i nthe spring for my on the road test if i dont have turn signals he will not proceed with the test. so a couple weeks later i was out and about and got pulled over for "no turn signal indicator" $100 no points. so i got my "advanced skills" road test next month and have been scourign the law library for the actual laws all day cause i know damn well i am right. anyway for those of you that own motorcycles manufactured prior to jan 1st 1973, this is for you

Nova Scotia Motor Vehicle Act as found here
http://www.gov.ns.ca/legislature/leg...tes/motorv.htm

Regulations respecting lighting equipment</EM>

176 The Governor in Council may make regulations prescribing or regulating the number, colour, type, strength, location, direction, focus, use and all other matters with reference to clearance lamps, reflectors, side-marker lamps and other lighting equipment to be fitted, carried or displayed by all or any class or classes of motor vehicle. </EM>R.S., c. 293, s. 176.

Spot, fog, signal or brake lights</EM>

177 (1) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two spot lamps, except that a motorcycle shall not be equipped with more than one spot lamp, and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the beam will be directed to the left of the centre of the highway nor more than 30 metres ahead of the vehicle.</EM>
(2) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two auxiliary driving lamps or fog lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 300 millimetres above the level surface on which the vehicle stands, and every such lamp or lamps shall meet the requirements and limitations set forth in subsection (3) of Section 178.</EM>
(3) All motor vehicles required to be registered under this Act except farm tractors shall be equipped with electric turn signals which shall indicate an intention to turn by flashing lights showing to the front and rear of a vehicle, or on a combination of vehicles, on the side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made.</EM>

Regulations found here
http://www.gov.ns.ca/just/regulations/regs/mv8879.htm

Motor-Driven Cycle and Motorcycle Lighting Equipment Exemptions

made under Section 180 of the
Motor Vehicle Act
R.S.N.S. 1989, c. 293
O.I.C. 74-934 (August 27, 1974), N.S. Reg. 66/74 and
O.I.C. 79-694 (June 5, 1979), N.S. Reg. 88/79

Order in Council 79-694
The Governor in Council on the report and recommendation of the Minister of Highways pursuant to Section 163 of Chapter 191 of the Revised Statutes of Nova Scotia, 1967, the Motor Vehicle Act, is pleased to prescribe that subsection 3 of Section 159 [subsection 177(3)] of the Motor Vehicle Act shall have no application

(a) to a motorcycle manufactured prior to the 1st day of January, 1973; or
(b) during the period from a half hour after sunrise to a half hour before sunset, to a motorcycle designed for use exclusively on competition circuits and commonly known as a "competition or trail motorcycle".

Old 02-19-2010, 08:23 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

stay tuned cause i may have found a loop hole in the National Helmet laws but need to wait till summer before i can test my theory and bring it before a judge * read i need to get stopped and get a ticket durign my "test run" so i can bring the matter before the judge to prove it
for further details on my helmet law theory please pm me cause i dotn want to be posting that openly in case it can get HDF in caca

yes i love legal law breaking

Last edited by NSCoyote; 02-19-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:57 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

I tested the CA. helmut Law 6 years Ago , NO Luck..

Old 02-19-2010, 09:08 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

Originally Posted by dennyo
I tested the CA. helmut Law 6 years Ago , NO Luck..
excert fro mthe NS motor vehicle act

Headgear when riding motorcycle or motor scooter</EM>

170 (1) No person shall operate or ride as a passenger on a motorcycle or motor scooter on a highway unless he is wearing adequate protective headgear of a kind prescribed by regulation of the Governor in Council.</EM>

(2) Regulations made under subsection (1) may adopt by reference or otherwise standards or specifications established or approved by the Canadian Standards Association or other testing organization with or without modifications or variations or may require that any headgear conform to the standards or specifications established or approved by the Canadian Standards Association or other testing organization or bear the approval of the Canadian Standards Association or other testing organization. </EM>R.S., c. 293, s. 170.

up to current the "governer in council" has not made any definitions pertainign to headgear while operatign a motorcycle beyond those listed under subsection (2), least none that i can find
and as i read that, if the "headgear" bears the CSA approved credentials it is approved headgear for operating a motorcycle, now i own a couple CSA approved hardhats and bumpcaps *looks like a Baseball cap but has a shell thingy in it

i dont mind paying the ticket if it dont fly but if it does fly here therem ight be provisions in other provinces that are the same. i am still tryign to find the Federal laws pertainign to it

Old 02-19-2010, 09:21 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Good , Luck , Den , you never know it might Work..

Old 02-19-2010, 09:32 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
excert fro mthe NS motor vehicle act

Headgear when riding motorcycle or motor scooter</EM>

170 (1) No person shall operate or ride as a passenger on a motorcycle or motor scooter on a highway unless he is wearing adequate protective headgear of a kind prescribed by regulation of the Governor in Council.</EM>

(2) Regulations made under subsection (1) may adopt by reference or otherwise standards or specifications established or approved by the Canadian Standards Association or other testing organization with or without modifications or variations or may require that any headgear conform to the standards or specifications established or approved by the Canadian Standards Association or other testing organization or bear the approval of the Canadian Standards Association or other testing organization. </EM>R.S., c. 293, s. 170.

up to current the &quot;governer in council&quot; has not made any definitions pertainign to headgear while operatign a motorcycle beyond those listed under subsection (2), least none that i can find
and as i read that, if the &quot;headgear&quot; bears the CSA approved credentials it is approved headgear for operating a motorcycle, now i own a couple CSA approved hardhats and bumpcaps *looks like a Baseball cap but has a shell thingy in it

i dont mind paying the ticket if it dont fly but if it does fly here therem ight be provisions in other provinces that are the same. i am still tryign to find the Federal laws pertainign to it
I think your missing the point. The law is to protect brains that have such poor judgement they would not wear a helmet unless they were forced to. Again I think you are missing the point with signal lights. The purpose of signal lights is to signal your intention to turn, to other drivers, who without knowing your intention can run you over. Also if you do not have signal lights, you can be charged with failing to signal, if you do not use arm signals - it's a hell of a lot easier just to use the blinker switch.

Last edited by fat_tony; 02-19-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Also if you do not have signal lights, you can be charged with failing to signal, if you do not use arm signals - it's a hell of a lot easier just to use the blinker switch.
I have had morons go into oncoming traffic trying to pass me on my left after I signaled a left turn and stopped while waiting to turn. I don't use hand signals anymore - unless it's a cop behind me. No one else understands hand signals.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:06 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

Originally Posted by fat_tony
I think your missing the point. The law is to protect brains that have such poor judgement they would not wear a helmet unless they were forced to. Again I think you are missing the point with signal lights. The purpose of signal lights is to signal your intention to turn, to other drivers, who without knowing your intention can run you over. Also if you do not have signal lights, you can be charged with failing to signal, if you do not use arm signals - it's a hell of a lot easier just to use the blinker switch.
not missing the point, in fact i get the point completly and thats my personal problem with it, as a adult above the age of 19 i have the choice to smoke *which can kill me apparently*, the choice to drink* which can kill me slowly or fast*, the choice to go get shot at or blown up overseas, it should be my choice wether i wear a helmet or not, not some person in an office. as for puttign the burden of my family t omake a tough decision well they already no if it comes down to me beign a vegtablel o nthe machiens or dieing i would rather die, that decision has been made for them and applies wetehr i wear a helmet or not.

as for turn signals my bike did not coem with a provision for turn signals from the factory therefore there is no button to push and i am fully aware of the proper hand signals should i choose to use them.

my point is i am tired of being forced to do or not do soemthing because it has been decided by a bunch of people who dont know me that it is for my own good, and this is my way of fighting it.

whats that saying " every man has a duty to stand up against laws he feels are unjust"

now lets stop the disccusion of wha tis and isnt "politically correct" as this was supposed to be an informative thread and i dont want to see it moved to the political discussion area. if you feel the need to further discuss that aspect please feel free to carry it to PM's where it wont cause crap in here

Last edited by NSCoyote; 02-19-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:16 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
not missing the point, in fact i get the point completly and thats my personal problem with it, as a adult above the age of 19 i have the choice to smoke *which can kill me apparently*, the choice to drink* which can kill me slowly or fast*, the choice to go get shot at or blown up overseas, it should be my choice wether i wear a helmet or not, not some person in an office. as for puttign the burden of my family t omake a tough decision well they already no if it comes down to me beign a vegtablel o nthe machiens or dieing i would rather die, that decision has been made for them and applies wetehr i wear a helmet or not.

as for turn signals my bike did not coem with a provision for turn signals from the factory therefore there is no button to push and i am fully aware of the proper hand signals should i choose to use them.

my point is i am tired of being forced to do or not do soemthing because it has been decided by a bunch of people who dont know me that it is for my own good, and this is my way of fighting it.

whats that saying &quot; every man has a duty to stand up against laws he feels are unjust&quot;

now lets stop the disccusion of wha tis and isnt &quot;politically correct&quot; as this was supposed to be an informative thread and i dont want to see it moved to the political discussion area. if you feel the need to further discuss that aspect please feel free to carry it to PM's where it wont cause crap in here
Responsibility is just as important as freedom. With one comes the other.

You have a responsibility to your family to stay healthy so you can work and support them financialy and look after them, and you have a responsibility to others not to put them at risk with your actions.

And since you live in Canada you have a reponsibility to other citizens of your province and country to wear a helmet and protective gear since they, not you, will be paying your medical bill and funding your long term care, if you end up getting yourself hurt.

Last edited by fat_tony; 02-20-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:25 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This suggests that the head gear fit the activity. That's how I read it, anyways. You may find a judge that might find that questionable, but I wouldn't lay money on it.

A judge who finds it to mean otherwise, would cause a precedent. Possible, but highly unlikely.

Quick Reply: Nova Scotia laws pertaining to motorcycle turn indicators