General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats your suggestion for HD to attract younger buyers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 05:09 PM
elevenbravo78
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Hmmmm how's that going to lure younger riders?

I say lower the prices (a lot) on the whole line. That ought to get them in.
I was thinking since the younger generations "image" of HD is simply what they see in the movies and the silly chopper shows on tv, then its about time HD got envolved and took it seriously and made something memorable and really worth seeing.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master

I've said this before, somewhere, so if you've heard it, sorry.

I think HD should develop a "Vintage" line. Start with one bike, something simple but elegant, targeted to new or young riders, college kids, etc. Each model would be a "replica" of a famous model from the past, as close as possible in general appearance, with more-or-less modern tech and engineering. But simple. I'd say start with a replica of the Hummer:

Price that bike at under $5k out the door. Back it up with a solid warranty (a long one, to ensure buyers that it's not a flash in the pan but a real commitment). Make sure parts are simple. Allow any company that wants to to make parts for it and market them any way they like (other than unlawfully). Cater to the open approach to intellectual property the younger generation has. Make it cool.

Then add a bike or two each year, and maybe rotate them a bit. Have a clear idea what you're doing and a clear, well-publicized, plan and approach to the line. Make something like this 45, and market it for under $10k:

This plays up the history of the company. Plays up the beauty of the designs. The longevity of the aesthetic. Rather than trying to do something the MoCo has never successfully done (compete with the foreign sportbike makers).

Old 02-19-2010, 05:29 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Lower prices, some modern technology, and Buells

Old 02-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Brewers_Fan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley really did shoot themselves in the foot with Buell. If the MoCo had been serious about Buell making it they would have put a lot more resources into their lineup. For years the only engine choice was a warmed over Sportster motor (with the exception of the Blast) and even though the bikes handled well and were fairly well made they just couldn't compete with the Japanese and European sportbikes. If Harley had invested in R&D for a liquid cooled four cylinder (like BMW has finally done) Buell could have gone head to head with the Japanese.

As or attracting younger customers...aside from Buell that's really a tough nut to crack. I say this as a younger rider (I'll be 30 in August). Expanding the model range to include some bikes other than v-twin cruisers and touring bikes would help. Add some technology (liquid cooling comes to mind) and maybe different engine configurations and maybe younger people would buy. At least they would if they could bring their prices down. Which I think is the major issue anyway, since the only bikes under $10K are sportsters.

Marketing will only go so far. They've already started to do some marketing to the younger crowd anyway, with UFC coming to mind. A movie might help. But the major problems, at least IMO, are price and technology.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:35 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

No need to attract young buyers because they don't have the coin. One must grow into HD's. Usually it takes into the 40's then they are middle income and can buy a HD.

Ride metrics while your young and HD's when you know what life's about.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:40 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 274 Posts

Harley has an "up-market" image that wouldn't be helped by making cheaper models available; they haven't tried to be everymans bike for a long time (think "Aermacchi") and it would not be possible to build a "cheap" or "low-cost" HD and retain the enviable image they have. At best they could ***** out their name to a far-east model to bring those less well heeled/less dedicated in for more than t-shirts...but there is no Cadillac with cloth seats, crank windows, manual steering and brakes and no air conditioning.

Now we're gonna hear some rants about how HD is actually made in China now.....

BTW; Just-a-Guy, the grey/white bike is a UL; 74 or 80 inch. You can tell right away because the final drive is on the "big twin" side not the "Sportster" side...

Old 02-19-2010, 07:19 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harley's market is never going to be young riders....as one poster said 'they don't have the coin', and they never will. They're obviously courting the geezer faction with their factory trikes....and their best sellers are costly high-end baggers....all the staple of the older crowd. Getting rid of the Buell was a smart move strategically....sport-bike riders never took the thing seriously (for good reason).

Harley's real strength (and it will continue to pay solid dividends) is to do even better what they're doing well right now....making durable classic bikes that aren't abandoned with every new model year (that's the real weakness of the metrics).

The Dyna line is extremely competitive in price with the metric cruisers (in some cases cost less) and are actually made of well finished metal. The Sportsters are getting better and better, and for a so-called entry level price, offer the same sort of fit and finish as the larger displacement cruisers (take a look at entry level metrics to compare).

Since the prices have become competitive, the only thing the metrics had going (and it's a big HAD) was dependability, and Harley's engines are nowadays every bit as bullet-proof as any metric twin.

With a Harley you get a bike that somebody is always going to covet, even when you move on to another Harley model. It will always be a bike that somebody can make their own, because Harley's accessory lines (their own lines and a thousand independent mfgs) are unbeatable.

I think MoCo is doing exactly what it needs to do to survive...

Old 02-19-2010, 07:30 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
Harley has an "up-market" image that wouldn't be helped by making cheaper models available; they haven't tried to be everymans bike for a long time (think "Aermacchi") and it would not be possible to build a "cheap" or "low-cost" HD and retain the enviable image they have. At best they could ***** out their name to a far-east model to bring those less well heeled/less dedicated in for more than t-shirts...but there is no Cadillac with cloth seats, crank windows, manual steering and brakes and no air conditioning.

Now we're gonna hear some rants about how HD is actually made in China now.....

Quite right Sharkey...except Cadillac did make the Cimarron....and we know how that worked out.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:45 PM
transam7969
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
No need to attract young buyers because they don't have the coin. One must grow into HD's. Usually it takes into the 40's then they are middle income and can buy a HD.

Ride metrics while your young and HD's when you know what life's about.
Yeah, no. I'm 25 and just bought my first bike/harley when I got out of the military. I've always wanted a harley and never gave 2 ***** about crotch rockets or any metric bike, especially after being stationed in japan for 4 years.
You don't have to "grow into" a harley to appreciate them.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Shags
Cruiser

Take an Iron and put a Vrod engine in it. Some better shocks and a dual disc front brake. Sell for 10,000.

Quick Reply: Whats your suggestion for HD to attract younger buyers?