General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strobbing signal/driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Big Rol
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strobbing signal/driving lights

I seen a bike on tv where the signal light strobbed when on, it really caught your attention. is it legal? driving lamps that you could strob would be great to get the cagers to notice you also. I know its illegal here to flash red, i.e. tail lights or to wig wag the headlights but what about amber?

Old 02-19-2010, 10:56 AM
takiniteasy09Ultra
Tourer

Personally I think it creates more confusion and the other driver might not be able to figure out what you're about to do.
Just my opinion.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Big Rol
Road Captain

Yeah,was wondering that myself, guess thats why you don't see more of it.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:02 PM
anubiss
Advanced
Cool Strobe lights

Originally Posted by Big Rol
I seen a bike on tv where the signal light strobbed when on, it really caught your attention. is it legal? driving lamps that you could strob would be great to get the cagers to notice you also. I know its illegal here to flash red, i.e. tail lights or to wig wag the headlights but what about amber?
Strobbing headlights on bikes are legal in Oklahoma.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Rol
Yeah,was wondering that myself, guess thats why you don't see more of it.
Big Rol, you an i share the same traffic act* the book they guy with the yellow stripe down his pants writes your ticket from* strobing, flashing lights are prohibited for on highway use unless on a licenced utility vehicle * amber/orange*, emergency vehicle * red,blue or white*, funeral hearses may use a purple flashing light while in procesion and volunteer firefighters may use a green flashing light.
you can do pretty much whatever ya want Off-road, but a cop can and likely will stop you and ticket you for red or blue flashing lights even i na parking lot or in your driveway

Old 02-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Big Rol
Road Captain

Thanks Coyote, I'm just back into riding after years off, I guess the poor lighting on the old triumphs was partly to blame for some close calls, but I still want to be seen
Maybe a set of amber spots? I'm not to worried about the back end because I watch and keep well outta range. It's the old lady who lets a dozens cagers go by then pulls out in front of you, etc.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:53 PM
SHTFIT
Road Captain

To improve visibility, a headlight modulator is probably a better way to go. I believe that most types vary the intensity of the high beam during the day..I have seen a few of these and they do catch your attention. AFAIK, they are legal to use in the day in the U.S.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:54 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Under the Canadian Motor Vehicle Act, we are permitted to have modulated headlights, ie: flashing - that makes it the law in all provinces. There may be the odd Mounty who isn't aware of the law but when I had mine on, I never got hasseled either in Canada or the US. I actually got a copy of the relavent sections of both the Canadian and US Motor Vehicle Acts and carried them with me, just in case.

However, can't hook them up to colored lights - that will get you a ticket.

There are a number of headlight modulators on the market and if this turns your crank, do a forum search under "headlight modulator."

Old 02-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Big Rol
Road Captain

Thanks guys, found BikerBuddy headlight modulator and lots of endorsements. seems to be just what I was looking for $70.00 shipped.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:55 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a headlight modulator on my EGC and use it mainly when approaching an intersection or see cages coming up to a stop sign. The modulator works off of a sensor during the daylight hours only.

Quick Reply: Strobbing signal/driving lights