General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strobbing signal/driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Big Rol
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize it only works during daylight hours, but you can turn it on and off?

Old 02-19-2010, 07:05 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Technical Standards Document No. 108, Revision 4 — Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment
See this link: Section S7.9 Motorcycles
Effective Date: June 9, 2007
Mandatory Compliance Date: December 9, 2007

S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system
S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that:
(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 ± 40 cycles per minute.
(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.
(c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.
(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 degrees Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.
(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than 0.45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of this TSD the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.
(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.
For more information, contact:
Motor Vehicle Standards and Research Branch
Road Safety and Motor Vehicle Regulation Directorate
TRANSPORT CANADA
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0N5
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...tm#_toc%20s7.9

there ya go Big Rol i was just re-educated on the laws

Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think my modulator is a lifesaver.It only works in daylight on high beam.It gets the soccer mom's attention while she is changing the baby,doing her lashes and texting her mom.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:32 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

I ****ing HATE those damn things

Old 02-20-2010, 05:48 AM
Rick14221
Tourer

I have and use a headlight modulator also. It comes with a sensor that turns it off automatically at dusk and only works on high beam. You can manually turn it off. Had a Leo pull me over once to let me know that there was something wrong with my headlight. When I told him what it was he was impressed and said that his son rode and he was going to have him put one on also.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:59 AM
Kumite
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
I ****ing HATE those damn things
I have a modulator on my Road Glide and my wife's vulcan. I dont like the looks but LOVE the results. They significantly raise you level of conspicuity and have stoped people turning in front of us.

First 8,000 miles of riding on my bike and lots of jerks turning in front.... next 60,000 miles and due to my modulator... not one close call.

In short... they see you and that is very good.

but to each his own.

R. todd

Old 02-20-2010, 07:40 AM
mtowner
Tourer

After our wreck last summer, when a 70 year old man pulled out in front us. I had a modulator put on my new 2010 SG. If the modulator keeps just one idiot pulling in front of me, it's money well spent!!

Last edited by mtowner; 02-20-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:53 AM
QSRYDR
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a Kriss headlight modulator on my 09 SG last year.

Driving around South Florida is dangerous enough, so I try to stack the odds in my favor. After putting the headlight modulator in, I have noticed a big difference in people not pulling out in front of me.

As a little bit of proof on their effectiveness, when I pass someone who is waiting to pull out of a side street, I can see most are looking AT me and not past me to pull out. If people are looking AT you they are less likely to pull out in front of you.