General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biltwell 3/4 helmet, how is the wind noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:13 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Biltwell 3/4 helmet, how is the wind noise?

For anyone that rides with one of these helmets and no windshield, do you need to still wear earplugs or does the helmet block enuf wind noise so you can cruise at highway speeds and not lose your hearing?

TIA.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:57 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have tinitus, thats the rushing noise in your ear which is a side effect of hearing loss. I drove OTR for 25 yrs. always or very often with the left window down at least an inch. I ride an Ultra with a 3/4 helmet and was very impressed with the lack of noise when riding. Tried earplugs last summer but whether they weren't quite right or not I wasn't comfortable with them. Might try a different type this summer. A freinds wife who has the same problem went from the cool looking half helmet to a 3/4 with the molded earplugs and says she is really impressed with the noise reduction and comfort level that accompanies the switch.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:23 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by teedubya
I have tinitus, thats the rushing noise in your ear which is a side effect of hearing loss. I drove OTR for 25 yrs. always or very often with the left window down at least an inch. I ride an Ultra with a 3/4 helmet and was very impressed with the lack of noise when riding. Tried earplugs last summer but whether they weren't quite right or not I wasn't comfortable with them. Might try a different type this summer. A freinds wife who has the same problem went from the cool looking half helmet to a 3/4 with the molded earplugs and says she is really impressed with the noise reduction and comfort level that accompanies the switch.
I'm sorry, but how does any of this answer my original question?

Old 02-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steveh326
I'm sorry, but how does any of this answer my original question?
Maybe your comprehension skills ain't so great but what he said was that a 3/4 helmet cuts down on the windnoise considerably and he was working on finding some comfortable earplugs to further cut down on noise.

Oh, he also said that he drove trucks for many years and now has hearing concerns in his left ear due to continuous wind noise. I assume he shared this info to help solidify your concern for hearing loss without any ear protection.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:37 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Shovelhead Jack
Maybe your comprehension skills ain't so great but what he said was that a 3/4 helmet cuts down on the windnoise considerably and he was working on finding some comfortable earplugs to further cut down on noise.

Oh, he also said that he drove trucks for many years and now has hearing concerns in his left ear due to continuous wind noise. I assume he shared this info to help solidify your concern for hearing loss without any ear protection.
I don't want to be a dick but go back and read and comprehend my original post. I specifically asked about a BILTWELL helmet and wind noise, nothing else. I already have a 3/4 helmet, (and 1/2 and full face too), but I'm building a bike and shopping for a new helmet, and was wondering if I would need earplugs with a BILTWELL. my current 3/4 is noisier than my 1/2 sometimes, and I don't wear it much because of the noise and the fact that it looks like a basketball stuck on my head.

I have NO desire to get into any debates over DOT vs non-DOT (and will not), or any other debate, I just want some info on a BILTWELL helmet from someone who rides with one.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:38 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

sorry, never had a biltwell, 3 other brands of 3/4's and none of those really helped with the wind noise coming in.
I still use a earplug, right only, with mine.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steveh326
I don't want to be a dick but go back and read and comprehend my original post. I specifically asked about a BILTWELL helmet and wind noise, nothing else. I already have a 3/4 helmet, (and 1/2 and full face too), but I'm building a bike and shopping for a new helmet, and was wondering if I would need earplugs with a BILTWELL. my current 3/4 is noisier than my 1/2 sometimes, and I don't wear it much because of the noise and the fact that it looks like a basketball stuck on my head.

I have NO desire to get into any debates over DOT vs non-DOT (and will not), or any other debate, I just want some info on a BILTWELL helmet from someone who rides with one.

You fuggin' people, I tell ya. The guy tried to offer some info and it wasn't specifically what you wanted so you act like a *****. Nice job.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:48 AM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

For around town, it is great and feels awesome to ride with. it feels like i am not even wearing a helmet. On the freeway though, i wear earplugs with it, just like any helmet i have because i had getting off my bike at the end of the ride and my hearing is all screwed up. Could you ride without, sure, i think i get the same windnoise with my 3/4 face that is not a biltwell

Old 02-19-2010, 08:54 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by roadrash3
For around town, it is great and feels awesome to ride with. it feels like i am not even wearing a helmet. On the freeway though, i wear earplugs with it, just like any helmet i have because i had getting off my bike at the end of the ride and my hearing is all screwed up. Could you ride without, sure, i think i get the same windnoise with my 3/4 face that is not a biltwell
thanks very much, exactly the info I was looking for.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:57 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Shovelhead Jack
You fuggin' people, I tell ya. The guy tried to offer some info and it wasn't specifically what you wanted so you act like a *****. Nice job.
cool I guess we're done then. have a good one.

Quick Reply: Biltwell 3/4 helmet, how is the wind noise?