General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another stupid question but....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 12:26 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Another stupid question but....

In my area, I've never had a problem with the RG. It trips the sensors just fine.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:32 AM
The HalfBreed
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of them are weight sensitive, but most are Metal Mass sensitive. Those clip on magnets/aluminum strips, etc are just about worthless and a waste of money, IMHO.

After 2 lights, I just go 4 it.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:40 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

i have had the best luck with positioning the sidestand onto the cut line in the pavement. Works every time.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:39 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have one light that won't trip no matter what.......so I cut through the gas station on the corner. Our LEO's will ticket you for going through it.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:04 AM
Maniac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kodiak999

OK, at a stoplight, turning left.

Signal never changes. I'm thinkin' that the weight of the bike isn't enough to trip the light but it could be something else.

People have said "rev the engine" or "put it on the sidestand". Tried both with little success.

Any tricks?
Our company actually installs these signal triggers (among other things). They are called loop detectors. It's actually a pretty simple principle. It's just a matter of making a 1" deep cut into the asphalt, typically in a square, and laying in stranded copper wire (much like the wiring in your house) in the trench and then sealing it over with asphalt sealer. It requires at least two loops of wire, each one over the first. The ends of the loop get connected to an electronic module that measures capacitance. It basically turns the square into a big metal detector. When a metal object is introduced into the detection field, the capacitance between the wires changes which is sensed by the detector then triggers the light.

They are most sensitive along the cut line in the asphalt, so it is best to try to align your wheels and frame parallel with the line. You might even try to lower your jiffy stand close to the line to trigger it as well. It usually doesn’t take much to do it. I have opened many an exit gate at gated communities by just sliding a wrench or lunchbox across the loop (but you didn’t hear that from me).

If you continue having problems at certain intersections, you should try calling the city traffic control division. The detectors are adjustable for sensitivity so it should just be a matter of turning it up. A tech can do it in a matter of minutes.

Interestingly enough, I just read in Easyriders mag that the state of Idaho just passed the Red Light Law which allows motorcyclists to ride through a red light legally after stopping for situations where the motorcycle does not trigger the light change. Three other states (Arkansas, Minnesota, and Tennessee) have similar laws in effect.

Good luck!