Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Orlo555
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Purple

Hey anyone using Royal Purple, i know they are the best oil for cars, but when i look on their site for bikes all it shows up is Max Cycle, anyone use this or know what viscosity it is. Anyone know why Harleys call for diesel designated oil. Also anyone use their synchromax, or max gear in a Harley or know what viscosity or ratings those are also. Any help would be great as i wanna change all fluids and plugs and do a full inspection before spring.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:23 PM
snook592
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Type in oil in the search and watch how many threads you get.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:35 PM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master

I did, now I don't. Did the job but I figured out I could get comparable service from Mobil 1. I was using Royal purple in the primary, engine and 75-90 Royal Purple Transmisson fluid. Noticed smoother shifting over Dino oil. Feels the same now with Mobil 1 but a lot cheaper. I still continue to use 75-90 RP in the Tranny but only change it every 10,000 to 15,000 miles. Change the engine oil every 5000 and the primary every 10,000. So far, the scoot has been trouble free (34,000 miles on the Harley).

Old 02-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a Mobil 1 for V-Twin fan now also. I was going to Royal Purple, but a bunch of websites rate it as the 5th or 6th best synthetic oil. Amsoil is rated #1 and Mobil 1 for v-twin is 2nd. I can find Mobil 1 at almost all auto parts stores, its hard to find Amsoil easy.I will hand Royal Purple this ,it does look cool when you first change your oil and see it on the dipstick. My final thought is this, I believe all major Synthetics are the same and there is hardly any difference that is noticeable, as long as you change your oil regularly. As for your question on Harley suggesting diesel type oils is because if it can stand up to the tortures and pressures of a diesel engine its got to be a good oil. Rotella from Shell is the best non synthetic diesel oil on the market period.

Here is the answer on the viscosity of max cycle.
This is a quote from Royal Purples website.

What oil do you recommend for Harley Davidson motorcycles?
For Evolution and Twin Cam motors, Royal Purple’s Max-Cycle 20W50 is recommended. For Sportsters and Buell motorcycles, Royal Purple’s Max-Cycle 10W40 may be used. Check your owner’s manual for verification or contact Royal Purple’s Automotive Technical Department at 888-382-6300.

http://www.royalpurple.com/faqs-motorcycle.html

I love beating that old dead horse oil thing. LOL

X

Last edited by Rockyriver; 02-17-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just did a Google on oil comparisons, Heres what I found.
It seems that about every test seems biased towards a certain oil, could this be the manufactuers paying for these test and then making it look like an independant lab? Its funny to see some say Mobil 1 and others say Royal Blue, and so and so on. While another says Pentak or Pentek or Redline or whatever.Most oil comparisons now that I look at them on the net seem to be bought and paid for by certain manufactuers. Hint: If it talks little about certain oils and talks of bad test results on them, and then on one oil in particular they have more info than you can read and brag about its superior being then rest assure its a biased test, bought and paid for.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:51 AM
piperbob
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Rotella's synthetic, comparable to Mobil-1.

Bob
97 Heritage

Old 02-18-2010, 05:08 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs down

I just dont understand why Amsoil is so hard to find. And when you do, it's 20 FREAKING CDN DOLLARS for a Quart. I say FVCK YOU Amsoil, ill find another oil. Which i did, MOBILE 1. Lucas is also over priced up here.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:34 AM
boosteddelslow
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used castrol gtx in basicaly every engine I have ever owned.....with the exception of 2-strokes. I have never had a problem. Price is right to.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:26 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I use RP in both my bikes. I like it.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:16 PM
niczumbo
Road Master

i use RP in all three holes on my 07,works for me and there is a store that sells it just six blocks from my house.on the other hand,i really believe ANY syn oil(good quality mind you) will do you just fine,,,,, just my crappy 2 cent opinion

Quick Reply: Royal Purple