General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.O.G. member or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:38 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two kinds of HOG membership.

The National provides benefits such as Roadside assistance, Fly/Ride, pins/patches.

The local HOG membership provides comradery, group rides, fund raisers and sometimes dealer discounts (my dealer provides a 20% coupon if you attend the monthly meeting and it's good on all accesories/parts/clothes - not on labor or bikes). It's a use it once but on as many items as you want. That more than pays for my yearly HOG dues ($35 annual National and $15 annual Local).

Local club dynamics depends on the group... some are upitty snobs, others are a greal bunch of fellow riders and have lots of rides/activities. My local group is the latter, but if you don't want to do a ride, that's up to you and no pressure. We also welcome all new comers and try to make them feel at home.

I'd suggest going to a meeting, see what the people and dynamics are like, then make up your mind. I think if you buy a new bike, you automatically get 1 year free for the National.

Oh, one other thing. The National gets you 1 tow or out of gas service as part of the basic membership. I always do the upgrade (I think it's $20) for the unlimited tows. I have not had to use it yet, but I do a lot of long rides and it provides me with peace of mind that is pretty cheap. If you run out of gas, they will bring you gas (you have to pay for the gas, but bringing it is no charge).

Old 02-16-2010, 04:40 PM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

Always had HOG....and now have the upgraded Road America Package....it covers both my bikes and car and truck as well as delay insurances when traveling. Ride long distance for a month at a time twice a year and bikes are out of warranty, so i might need it.

I like the Map book each year and the Fly and Ride benefits....as well as 15 to 20% off at certain hotels.

Never been to HOG events......and never will....but that's not why i have the membership.

Those who don't do long rides and won't go to event probably don't need it but if you do
either it might be worth it.....it has been worth it to me.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:44 PM
BJB
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No.
Generally I live by the idea that any group that would allow the likes of me to be a member, I don't want to be a part of.
The Brainerd MN H-D dealer group I plan on "auditing" this summer. We'll see.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Cookiemuncher
Advanced
Default HOG Memeber

I am a National HOG member not a local HOG member,on Saturday morning My wife and I took a ride to Daytona Beach(330 Miles each way). Everything was going on as planned then about 90 miles from the house I blew a back tire. I called HOG and they sent a wrecker and took us and the bike to Capital City Harley in Tallahassee,Fl. they replaced my back tire at no Charge(extended Warranty) and HOG paid the Wrecker Bill. We still finished our trip and right then I made up my mind to stay with HOG.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:46 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to keep national current for the roadside assist. Not involved with local HOG chapters. Not to say that the HOG chapters are bad, just not my thing. The PGR and a few riding buddies have given me all the comaraderie I need.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:49 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Every year I ask myself the same question, I'm starting to think I'm a gluttin, it costs a lot of money and you don't get much for it.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:00 PM
ColoradoBill
Tourer

I joined HOG in 86. Obviously some chapters are better than others. If nothing else, go to a HOG chapter meeting as a guest and check it out for yourself. Can't hurt anything right?

Needless to say, this time of the year our local chapter isn't doing much. Just planning out rides and events for the warmer weather.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Scoobay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jag1886
Every year I ask myself the same question, I'm starting to think I'm a gluttin, it costs a lot of money and you don't get much for it.
+1 Just paid again dont do meetings,I like the roadside assist,also this year they offer a 17% discount on my at&t bill that made it worth while, which for me is a $15.00 a month saving. Just my .10 cents.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Bigfat
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a national HOG member and was a local member 'til this year. I get along with most of the members in the local chapter except for a couple. Unfortunately the few I don't like are running most of the activities for the chapter. So I don't go.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hog members get a 10% discount at one of the local dealers here. But if you don't buy a lot of stuff,......

Everybody gets a 20% discount at some of the online dealers (HOG member or not), so the money saving incentive is weak.

Do you need a free road atlas mailed to you once in a while? Some HD magazines?

I join once in a while for a year (when I buy a bike it comes with a 1 year membership). He he! Never actually wrote a check to join.

Not my cup of tea. They are too tied up in making money for the company.

Quick Reply: H.O.G. member or not