General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Craftsman Pro Jack......Damn Uncomfortable Feeling...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

I've been using the Sears yellow jack on my chopper for 3 years now. Made me a little nervous at first but the bike has always stayed put. Just got the Night Train and haven't used it on that yet. I'd still like to get the J&S one day.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:24 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference between the less expensive jacks and the j&s jack is the cheaper jacks are made of flat bar supports. The J&S is made with square tube steel, with a cross support welded in place. This is in fact MUCH more sturdy, and won't give the wobble like the others. BUT, is this 'technology' worth the cost? For peace of mind, many will say yes.

I have an ability to understand mechanical applications, and while I openly admit the J&S jack is far superior in craftsmanship, my wallet still won't allow me to spend that much for a couple dollars worth of steel. I can build one for myself though, for less than what I paid for the HF jack...

Old 02-17-2010, 11:42 AM
pjmoraldo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much $ ?
Originally Posted by ashmarc
Picked one up this morning, looks like a fine motorcycle/ATV jack but man was I uneasy when I lifted the bike. It didn't feel solid or steady at all!!

On my Ultra (and other bikes) there's a "bow tie gusset (?)" towards the rear of the frame. It's right where the jack needs to be to balance the bike. I lifted the bike several times in several different positions on the frame.

Never once did I feel good about how the bike sat while in the air.
It's rated at 1500lbs......not so sure, I think the Ultra is too heavy and bulky for this lift.

I'm going to return it and seriously consider the more expensive but more trustworthy platform style lift.

Anybody using this lift for a touring bike?

Old 02-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Maimas
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like its to narrow, and where is the locking mechanism. I have the good ole red jack. It's base is wider and has a lock bar.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:47 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockyriver
I do want to say one more thing. Even if I had the J&S jack I still for safety would use sometning under the bike to stop it from dropping should there be a hydraulic failure. Would you climb under a car with it just a hydraulic jack and no safety like a jack stand or blocks of wood under the tires?
As Dagump mentioned J&S as well as the sears jacks have mechanical locks. My Glide has been on my J&S ever since the first of December getting minor works and major cleaning. It is rock solid.

The one jack that I had fail in use was after I was done cleaning the bike. I jacked it up to release the locks. After I released the locks the cylinder failed and the bike came down hard.

The J&S and Pitbull jacks are not cheap but IMO why deal with a non stable platform to wrench on your 20k bike. To each there own but I will never buy or recomend the cheap jacks to anyone.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:28 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Been using that HF jack for a year now and have never had a problem. I do strap it down and, my bike is lighter than others.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:18 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I bought my J&S jack from my local dealer. I bought it during a 20% sale and got a great price, no shipping charges.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:53 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maimas
That looks like its to narrow, and where is the locking mechanism. I have the good ole red jack. It's base is wider and has a lock bar.
I have the yellow jack and it lifts my bike with no problems. Very sturdy and well made unit..I went to buy the red at first and i couldn't believe how flimsy it felt. So i got the yellow.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:00 PM
harleygeezer
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ashmarc
I did strap in with 2 tie downs, just never felt good.

Yeah, the table lift is what I am considering......

NO WAY I would wrench on it the way I was feeling, heck I didn't feel comfortable spinning the back wheel while it was up there.

Like I said, I'm sure it's a fine jack for a dirt bike or something with less weight than my pig, LoL.....

Nothing lost except a trip back to Sears.
I use the same yellow Sears jack on both of my bikes. An 09 Ultra Classic and an 08 Road Star Silverado with no problems at all. Just make sure you get the jack under both side rails on bottom of frame. I sit on my bike while first jacking it up until the bike sits level. Then I get off and finish jacking the bike up. I've never used the straps and have taken the front wheel off before with absolutely no problems.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:04 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainCHet
I made these video's when I had my Springer. There are three short ones showing the Sears Yellow Jack and it's problems. I still use it but with caution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QLAB065qj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySDR9ogg6Ac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO4-UTl5CiQ
C'mon man...so your the guy....i wouldn't fess up to those vids..Look how you have the bike lifted...jacks is postioned way up front and then you tie it down from the rear only...of course its gonna rock severely back and fourth...that my friend is operator error not mechanical error. My Sears yellow, yes the same as yours. Doesn't shake one bit like that.

Quick Reply: Craftsman Pro Jack......Damn Uncomfortable Feeling...