General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried Maui Jim Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:33 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never have tried them however, I would like to suggest that you check out a company called American Optical. As a Pilot I often deal with sunlight and glare so in order for me to have good visibility I have tried lots of them and finaly settled on their product and for $60.00 I think it is well worth it !

Old 02-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aviscomi
Maui Jim are the best sunglasses I've ever had

+1.............

Old 02-16-2010, 02:32 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ever since I had Lasik surgery I have only worn shades with good quality lenses. The best I have found for riding so far are the Oakley Gascans. Just got a pair of polarized Oakley Oil Rigs for my birthday and they seem like they will be even better. Finally got some sun up here today so I'll know more after going for a little scoot later on. If I'm not on my Street Glide and I still wan't some tunes I wear my Oakley Thump 2's, basically Gascans with a 2gig mp3 players built in. Never tried Maui Jims, because I have always been happy with my Oakleys, but a buddy of mine rides with them and he hasn't complained about them.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried Maui Jim Sunglasses-gascan.jpg   Anyone tried Maui Jim Sunglasses-oil-rig.jpg   Anyone tried Maui Jim Sunglasses-thump-2.jpg  
Old 02-16-2010, 03:22 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, obviously they have different styles so there will be a variety of fits. The lenses are excellent. Minimizes glare well. If you find a pair that fits your face well, I would recommend them. Most Oakleys are not polarized.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:13 PM
kickstandkaddy
Collections Hold
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

They sound a bit pricey $$

Old 02-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Droop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the best polarized lenses I ever tried on were Maui Jim's. Went with Revos instead. That was for driving a bus for a living. I use the WileyX SG-1 for the bike. Much more durable and a lot easier to replace a lens + more shatter resistant.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:48 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two pairs, their lenses are the best money can buy optic-wise, they are worth every penny.

Mimo.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I have 2 of the Titaniums(hingeless) and 2 of the MJ Sport (plastic hinged) 1 each Grey lens , 1 each Rose. Just like anything else in life what fits me may not fit you. I really like the what these optics do for my vision. Maui Jim customer service is unsurpassed , they have replaced my glasses twice for free when it was my fault, and replaced them 2 other times for 60 bucks , also my fault. I gotta look before I sit down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-16-2010, 06:44 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I have 2 of the Titaniums(hingeless) and 2 of the MJ Sport (plastic hinged) 1 each Grey lens , 1 each Rose. Just like anything else in life what fits me may not fit you. I really like the what these optics do for my vision. Maui Jim customer service is unsurpassed , they have replaced my glasses twice for free when it was my fault, and replaced them 2 other times for 60 bucks , also my fault. I gotta look before I sit down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I forgot that, as long as the frame is intact, they will replace your lens at no cost, written warranty.

This is how they construct their lenses (7 layers):

Mimo.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:14 PM
tjsnoop
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had three pair, great glasses, the best, but they are light and tend to let air around them when you ride and flutter unless you have a windshield.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried Maui Jim Sunglasses