General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried Maui Jim Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 AM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Several pairs of Maui Jims, great glasses, love 'em. Never rode with them though. I have a set of Panoptx Diablos I ride with. Great glasses, and the gasket works awesome, very happy with those. None of them were cheap, but they hold up good.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:30 AM
bubbabear
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Never had Maui Jims, but I do have 3 pairs of Costa Del Mar and would buy more if I lost these.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:36 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Funny you should ask. A friend of mine just posted about his on another forum:

"
I had a bit of a scare this morning. I went out to my van to go to church, and as there was some of that hazy glare that comes with thin overcast and snow, I went to put on my sunglasses. These aren't cheap Wally-World plastic sunglasses, but top quality [brand-name withheld to protect the potentially innocent until I see what they do about warranty] optically ground and multi-coated polarized glass lenses. (Some of you who know me, know I'm very loyal to this brand.)

As I spread the temples (spring loaded), I heard a "snap" and the inner surface at the top corner blew shards of glass toward my face. Thankfully, I must've either blinked just in time or maybe I even close my eyes as I put on the glasses.

I've been removing little micro shards of glass from my face most of the day (I can't even begin to count how many pieces I've removed). The broken area is probably about 5mm in diameter, and a "fish-eye" shape, but there were at least a dozen pieces (that I've found).

Tomorrow, I'm taking the glasses (and the pieces I could recover) to [the reputable sunglasses store] where I bought them just before Christmas to see what they say.

Answering a few questions I know will come up:
1. No, they've never been dropped
2. No, I've not overstressed the frames
3. Yes it was pretty cold (about 15F) when I went to put them on and they were outside in the van.

Anybody else ever had this happen?

I think I was VERY lucky I didn't end up with an eyefull of glass, and it scares me that I just found another little sliver (more than 14 hours later) in the corner of my eye. I'm home alone this weekend (well the dog's here, but, although she seems to see pretty well, the whole "lack of opposable thumbs issue" keeps her from helping) so there's nobody but me to try to look. I sat in front of the mirror with a bright light and magnifying glass for a while and thought I had all the pieces.

I can't feel or see any more pieces, they must be all gone by now..."

In a later post he stated that they were Maui Jims and the dealer replaced them on the spot. He feels it had something to do with the low temperature.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:39 AM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I bought a pair of Ray Bans with interchangeable lenses. One dark grey and the other is yellow. They are made of a plastic material which allows for durability, flexibility and light weight and great eye coverage as well. Oh and they were only 100+ bones

Old 02-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Hooker 6
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using Maui Jim's for about three years. These are prescription lenses, and I've had them badly scratched a couple times. The first time Maui Jim replaced therm for free - super service. Mine are also polarized, so that looking at GPS and digital gauges at the gas station is tough - generally have to take them off at the gas station. Expensive, but comfortable, and they take good care of you at the factory.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:48 AM
FPFD480
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ridden with Ray Bans, Wiley-x and Maui Jims ... no complaints on any of them ... find a pair that fits nice and looks good on you and you'll be happy ... comfort is key!

Old 02-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for all the input on Maui Jim Sunglasses. I think they will be my next purchase if it ever warms up.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,535 Likes on 930 Posts

I have the Kapalua's. They are about 5 years old & are great glasses. Only cons are they are heavy because they have glass lenses. I wouldn't use them for riding without a face shield. For riding I prefer WileyX. I also have a pair of Maui titaniums that are ultra light. They are fantastic.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:21 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

had a pair of maui jims... cheap pieces of dog poop...you sneeze and the lenses scratch...best sunglasses I ever owned are Arnette...great frames, great optics, not a single scratch after dropping plenty of times over the last couple years... also not 100 dollars overpriced either.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:27 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wear the Maui Jims ... actually have 2 pair. Wear them for day to day wear as well for biking. Very comfortable. No problems at all.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried Maui Jim Sunglasses