General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried Maui Jim Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:55 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have looked at the Maui Jim glasses but can't justify the price tag and I have always had high quality glasses. Have a couple pairs of Serengetti glasses and love them both. Regardless I need goggles to ride in or my eyes get teary and I have been known to lose contacts on a trip. Another Wiley X fan but goggles.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:57 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been wearing my Maui Jims for 15yrs, love em

Old 02-16-2010, 08:07 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Mine don't fit with my full face helmet. Its to bad because they are very comfortable sunglasses. The do scratch easy since they aren't glass.

Beary

Old 02-16-2010, 08:13 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a pair of Maui Jims and the lenses seem to scratch way too easy. I prefer my Ray-Bans or Oakley's. But I only wear my Panoptix or Wiley-X's for riding since they have impact resistant lenses.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:16 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I bought my first pair of Maui Jims in Maui at a hotel I was staying at because I was going marlin fishing and needed a pair I could see in the water with. I have had them ever since. Now I have the wrap around style that are Rx and the scrip grind on the lenses is perfect. ($459 OUCH) but they do not block wind as well as other shades. That said I wear a 3/4 jet helmet with the clear face shield so it doesn't matter. I had pre-cancerous tumor removed from my left eye in 2000 so I need sunglasses (Doc's orders) that wrap around and block 100% UVA & UVB. Maui Jims do that.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Havent tried Maui, but did have Costa DEl Mar Brine glasses. Best glasses I have ever had. Polarized, awesome clarity, comfortable. Could ride all day without the wind bothering me and they didnt fog up.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:35 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have Maui Jims, love them, I tried Oakleys and find the fit better for riding but my script is too wild to lense for them(injury problem) and the MJ's can handle the lense variant. I also like the progressive shading on the lenses darker to the top and polarized, makes a long bright day ride all the more enjoyable.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:00 AM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Another Maui Jim fan here. As a chick, you can imagine what a sunglass fetish I have Gotta have a pair for every possible occasion/outfit. I just don't know how you guys survive with one or two pairs!

I've been a MJ fan for years. Pretty much the best optics out there. I fly fish and started wearing them some years back looking for
"better looking" polarized glasses than those found at most fly shops. When it came time to get some glasses, with prescription for riding, I ended up with a pair of MJ sunglasses and a pair of Oakley (rimless clear). I took my FF helmet to the Optical shop to make sure they were comfortable. The Maui's are the thicker plastic type, but are quite comfortable with my helmet.

They also have great customer service...sent a pair back for repairs and they just replaced them.

I have heard/read polarized isn't ideal for riding - something about looking thorough the windshield, but that doesn't bother me.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for Maui Jims'.I've been using the same pair
for the last 14 yrs... Lost them twice but they
kept coming back to me.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:59 AM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had the same pair for 11yrs now I think and love them. I have the Volcano model I believe which are a bit heavy due to the actual glass lenses but the clarity through them is amazing. I have sent them in probably 5-6 times to have the little spring on the hinges replaced and after all this time and without proof of purchase they replace the spring and send them back within 2 weeks for the cost of return shipping. I have also had the lenses replaced which was $60. Not cheap but cheaper than a new pair by far. I am currently using a pair of Under Armour polarized, need to send in the MJ again for new springs. They are much lighter but have nowhere near the clarity, need to get off my duff and send in the MJ's already. When I wear a FF they are definitely tight but do fit, might be why the springs keep breaking though. The 1/2 helmet that I normally wear works much better with those glasses. Dang, talk about rambling.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried Maui Jim Sunglasses