General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006 | 04:36 AM
Horses_N_Harleys
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default What would you do???

I live way out in the country. I have neighbors down the road that have at least four dogs that everytime I ride by whether on my horses or my scoot their dogs come chasing.[:@] Now when riding my horses past their house, although it's annoying having the dogs coming running up barking, the horses don't spook and we simply continue on our way. However, when riding my scoot past this neighbor's house the dogs get dangerously close to the front of the bike and I'm worried that one of these days an accident is going to occur. The neighbors have been out there just about everytime and did nothing other than call the dogs, who never respond to their calls to return to the house. I've spoken with them and told them how dangerous it is when their dogs come chasing after me when I'm riding my bike past their house. Their response was basically that there isn't a leash law and since they don't know when I'll be riding by their house and they can't keep the dogs tied up or in the house constantly. I've contacted the Animal Control Office and they said they'd speak to the folks. I don't know whether they spoke with them or not, but if they did, it didn't do any good because the dogs are still loose and chasing after everytime I go by.

So given the circumstances along with the attitude and lack of response from these neighbors, what would you do in this situation?

Old 07-26-2006 | 04:49 AM
TRITON
Road Master
Default RE: What would you do???

ORIGINAL: Horses_N_Harleys

Their response was basically that there isn't a leash law and since they don't know when I'll be riding by their house and they can't keep the dogs tied up or in the house constantly.

So, call them before you go out on a ride and ask them to please collect their dogs for a few minutes.

Or... a 9mm pistol might work...kidding of course, or am I?

Old 07-26-2006 | 04:54 AM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: triton.fisherz

Their response was basically that there isn't a leash law and since they don't know when I'll be riding by their house and they can't keep the dogs tied up or in the house constantly.

So, call them before you go out on a ride and ask them to please collect their dogs for a few minutes.

I agree, the 9mm would teach them a lesson.... just kidding , or am I ? Call them 1st !

Old 07-26-2006 | 05:13 AM
Horses_N_Harleys
|
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: triton.fisherz

Calling them is a great idea......I've the urge to go for a ride at 6 a.m. tomorrow morning and I shall give them one ringy dingy two ringy dingy and make my request.

Old 07-26-2006 | 05:26 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member

Take a marinade injector and fill a few hot dogs with cayenne pepper. It sounds cruel, but it is just irritating, not fatal. Stop the bike, feed doggie a hot dog, and watch the results. After two or three times, they will run away whenever they hear you coming. I had a blue healer and this is how I broke her of chasing kids on bikes. Don't drop the hotdogs while you are riding, they will be focussed on the bike and not notice. This particular dog also thinks that bad things in the motorcycle are coming from the exhaust pipes, so whenever I fire it up, she attacks the end of the muffler. She made the mistake of coming out of the house when I was just getting home and attacked a HOT muffler. That one cost me a vet bill.[:@]

Old 07-26-2006 | 05:38 AM
Horses_N_Harleys
|
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dgator66

Take a marinade injector and fill a few hot dogs with cayenne pepper. It sounds cruel, but it is just irritating, not fatal. Stop the bike, feed doggie a hot dog, and watch the results. After two or three times, they will run away whenever they hear you coming. I had a blue healer and this is how I broke her of chasing kids on bikes. Don't drop the hotdogs while you are riding, they will be focussed on the bike and not notice. This particular dog also thinks that bad things in the motorcycle are coming from the exhaust pipes, so whenever I fire it up, she attacks the end of the muffler. She made the mistake of coming out of the house when I was just getting home and attacked a HOT muffler. That one cost me a vet bill.[:@]

The farmer who lives next to me had suggested I fill a squirt gun with Amonia or pepper spray, but I don't want to hurt the dogs, and besides with my luck I'd have the stuff fly back in my face and then be riding the bike blinded.[sm=nerd.gif]

What gets me is that these folks don't need to tie their dogs up or keep them in the house, they have a large fenced in area for them.

Oh and Duane, my daughter found out the hard way about hot pipes. I had the bike running and we were getting ready to go for a ride. Before she got on she bent down to tie her shoe laces and put her hand on the pipe. Of course she pulled off real quick and luckily she didn't get burned seriously, but she stays clear of the pipes now.

Old 07-26-2006 | 05:48 AM
06ultra
Elite HDF Member

get you a pistol and ride back and forth acting like The Lone Ranger until all dog's are gone.[sm=joke.gif] or am I?

Old 07-26-2006 | 05:54 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member

A farmer told me about it too. The dogs are none the worse for wear after a few minutes, and that is why you put it in the hotdog, to make sure it doesn't get on ya. I have read your posts and think you are one of the sweetest people I have ever run across. I know you don't want to hurt them, but think of it this way. If one of them gets under your tire, it will be a lot worse, and the way you love animals, it would probably really bother you. I bet you disciplined your kids when they were little to keep them from doing something that was dangerous to them. Just think of this in the same way.

Old 07-26-2006 | 05:55 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member

cause it don't really sound like the owners care very much.

Old 07-26-2006 | 06:42 AM
SDMF
Road Warrior

Rig your bike up with a quick disconnect cow catcher and ride up and down the street real fast.

Quick Reply: What would you do???