General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006 | 02:56 PM
T Tommyt
Road Warrior
Default RE: What would you do???

ORIGINAL: Draggin S

Well,

I had a buddy that used to drive by a place with a bunch of dogs in his jeep that didn't have the side doors or top on and the dogs actually tried to jump up and bite him from the side through the open hole where the door goes.

It wasn't the dogs fault the P.O.S. owner didn't take care of them right...........

anyway, one day he just wired some burlap feed sacks to the holes in the wheels and drove on by............

ever heard of that story where a dog is chasing a car and what's he gonna do if he catches it??????????

He said when their teeth got hung in those sacks, some of them got flung off to the side and some got blapped on the pavement, but none of them ever chased him again................

Regards,
Draggin S
This has been done but what happens is you break the DOGS NECK I would shoot them before I snapped their necks JMO

BUT
Been using the squirt gun thing for years. Works perfect. One time in the face and they will just watch you from then on. Does not permanetly injure at all. Dogs nose is super sensitive and of course a little in the eyes and no more chasing after you. It may just save you or someone else from getting hurt should the dogs get in front of your bike and you hit one and lose control...
I would do this using Lemon Juice and Cayenne Pepper in a good water Gun

Old 07-26-2006 | 03:01 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Draggin S

ever heard of that story where a dog is chasing a car and what's he gonna do if he catches it??????????

Regards,
Draggin S
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 07-26-2006 | 06:17 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

Dogs can not triangulate very well
Neither can most drivers.

We used lemon juice to help our current dog alter a few bad habits. I didn't even know a dog could pucker.

Old 07-26-2006 | 10:59 PM
Horses_N_Harleys
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to handle it incorporating several different ideas. This morning I made a visit to the "neighbors" with the dogs. I told them that I had previously expressed my concerns regarding the dogs running out into the road and chasing me on my bike, but that apparently my attempt to resolve the matter peaceably were fruitless, because the dogs have continued to chase me on the bike. I told them that since my previous requests had fallen on deaf ears, I was going to explain it to them in terms that they understood. First, if the dogs chased me again, especially while my daughter is riding on the back, I will contact the Animal Control Office because the dogs running onto the roadway is endangerment to the public. I further explained that I would now be carrying pepper spray and would not hesitate to use it on them. Finally, I told them that should the dogs cause an accident and my daughter got even so much as a scratch on her, I'd sue them for every material thing they owned, since they were obviously more concerned with their material possession than the welfare of their dogs or other peoples lives!!! I told them lawsuits can be such a costly and messy thing to have to deal with, and then, LOL, as I turned to walk away, I pointed towards the nice cabin cruiser boat they have sitting in their driveway, and with a big smile said to them...Wow, I love that boat, I've always wanted one of those....how much is one of those worth? Apparently, that got their attention, because they got real wide eyed.[sm=yikesomg.gif]

So this afternoon, my daughter and I went for a wonderful ride.....amazingly no dogs chasing the scoot as we rode by[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 07-26-2006 | 11:25 PM
sxs hillbilly
Outstanding HDF Member

When my wife and I first got together we lived about 70 miles from here, and I still worked over here so I rode to work whenever it was possible for the gas savings. One place I rode past on the 4 lane had a Jack Russell that ALWAYS came out into the road after me if I was West bound. He almost got ahold of my britches leg several times, at 50 - 60 mph that ain't good! Got to where I tried to get in the left lane, with a vehicle in the right lane when I got close so he couldn't get to me. Thought about all sorts of stuff to try to stop him, but didn't do anything. One night I was coming to work on 11 - 7 shift and got a car in the right lane to ride beside. I got a little too far ahead of the car and Fido thought he could get me,Wrong!! He saw the car and tried to go back but didn't make it. I like dogs too, but bad as I hate to say it, I wasn't too sorry for this little pooch. He had came too close for comfort too many times.

Old 07-27-2006 | 12:06 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Horses_N_Harleys

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to handle it incorporating several different ideas. This morning I made a visit to the "neighbors" with the dogs. I told them that I had previously expressed my concerns regarding the dogs running out into the road and chasing me on my bike, but that apparently my attempt to resolve the matter peaceably were fruitless, because the dogs have continued to chase me on the bike. I told them that since my previous requests had fallen on deaf ears, I was going to explain it to them in terms that they understood. First, if the dogs chased me again, especially while my daughter is riding on the back, I will contact the Animal Control Office because the dogs running onto the roadway is endangerment to the public. I further explained that I would now be carrying pepper spray and would not hesitate to use it on them. Finally, I told them that should the dogs cause an accident and my daughter got even so much as a scratch on her, I'd sue them for every material thing they owned, since they were obviously more concerned with their material possession than the welfare of their dogs or other peoples lives!!! I told them lawsuits can be such a costly and messy thing to have to deal with, and then, LOL, as I turned to walk away, I pointed towards the nice cabin cruiser boat they have sitting in their driveway, and with a big smile said to them...Wow, I love that boat, I've always wanted one of those....how much is one of those worth? Apparently, that got their attention, because they got real wide eyed.[sm=yikesomg.gif]

So this afternoon, my daughter and I went for a wonderful ride.....amazingly no dogs chasing the scoot as we rode by[sm=smiley20.gif]
Nice going, Maggie! Happy trails.

Old 07-27-2006 | 12:45 AM
librarian
Intermediate

I have two beagles and dearly love them both. I live right on a busy street and the thing that scares me most is that one of them will get into the street and be struck by a vehicle and killed. Our dogs stay in the house with us every night we are home. When we are not at home and the weather is good enough, they are in a kennel with plenty of food and water. Sometimes, when we are at home, we tie them in the yard on l20 foot steel cable eashes that are hooked to swivel stakes in the ground. This allows them some area to roam, but prevents them from getting away from home or into the street where they could be hurt or annoy someone else. I would let them loose in the yard if they were controllable in all situations, but we often have rabbits in our yard. A beagle's true love is to run rabbits. When on the track, a beagle is hard if not impossible to call off the scent. I don't want them to run a rabbit into the street and either be killed or cause and accident or both. Therefore, when training them I take them to a nearby farm well away from roads to let them run.

I have also adopted the MSF recommendation of slowing down and then quickly accelerating which pretty much prevents a dog from catching up with a motorcycle. If pepper spray or cayenne in a hot dog breaks a dog's bad habit, I'm all for it.

Old 07-27-2006 | 01:10 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Horses_N_Harleys

Great idea....now they have been warned!

Old 07-27-2006 | 01:10 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

Get a trigger spray bottle. fill it with ammonia. ride past the house and when they come out shoot them in the face with the ammonia. soon the dogs will learn.
Don't shoot dogs in the face with ammonia. And the person who suggested Anti-freeze is sick. That is really bad advice. If somebody poisoned my dogs with anti-freeze I think I would end up killing them and their kids.

Any dog will chase a motorcycle. I bet my own dogs would chase my motorcycle if I let them out running free. It's not the dogs fault it's the owners. I think that is where your engery should be put to use. Threaten legal action.

Old 07-27-2006 | 01:12 AM
Horses_N_Harleys
|
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: librarian

I have two beagles and dearly love them both. I live right on a busy street and the thing that scares me most is that one of them will get into the street and be struck by a vehicle and killed. Our dogs stay in the house with us every night we are home. When we are not at home and the weather is good enough, they are in a kennel with plenty of food and water. Sometimes, when we are at home, we tie them in the yard on l20 foot steel cable eashes that are hooked to swivel stakes in the ground. This allows them some area to roam, but prevents them from getting away from home or into the street where they could be hurt or annoy someone else. I would let them loose in the yard if they were controllable in all situations, but we often have rabbits in our yard. A beagle's true love is to run rabbits. When on the track, a beagle is hard if not impossible to call off the scent. I don't want them to run a rabbit into the street and either be killed or cause and accident or both. Therefore, when training them I take them to a nearby farm well away from roads to let them run.

I have also adopted the MSF recommendation of slowing down and then quickly accelerating which pretty much prevents a dog from catching up with a motorcycle. If pepper spray or cayenne in a hot dog breaks a dog's bad habit, I'm all for it.

You are obviously a very responsible pet owner. The sad part with these folks is that they have the large fenced area that the dogs could be in. The woman that lives on the farm next to mine likes to go for walks down the road after getting home from work, but refuses to walk past these other folks because the dogs come chasing her. I don't know why nobody has done anything about it, but it really bothered me when my daughter told me that their son, whose in her grade, told her that his parents are somewhat afraid and intimidated by the dogs. I'm thinking Geez, then they don't belong having these dogs and certainly not allowing them to run loose.[:@] But, they're always out there washing and taking great care of their material possessions and I guess that's why I decided to say what I did because it's apparent that's what means something to them, not the dogs.

Your beagles would have a blast on my farm if they like tracking, there's rabbit's everywhere

Quick Reply: What would you do???