General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006 | 06:55 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: What would you do???

Do they make those in billet, with chrome plating?

ORIGINAL: SDMF

Rig your bike up with a quick disconnect cow catcher and ride up and down the street real fast.

Old 07-26-2006 | 08:21 AM
wnogood
Banned

In the deer hunting community, we have a term for unwanted dogs that is foolproof....

SSS!

nogood o~`o

Old 07-26-2006 | 08:57 AM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member

There seems to be a few good sugestions here although I was thinking water, as in a small super soaker type water gun. It may take a while but they may learn that every time that horse or scotter goes by I'm getting sprayed. I just can't seem to understand why some people let there animals run loose.

Old 07-26-2006 | 09:24 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

Just tighten up your grip on the bars and if one of them gets under the front tire, ride thru it. The more momentum you have (speed), the more stable your bike will stay in the event you hit one of them. Sounds cruel but your safety is more important than the safety of a dog. (And yes, I love animals)

Old 07-26-2006 | 09:28 AM
MOking
Tourer

Tough one here for me b/c I love dogs, I hunt, and I ride. I have a golden retriever that loves to jump in front of a 4 wheeler at the farm....his intention is to get the 4 wheeler to stop in order to hop a free ride-I think.

Thankfully, our dog is smart enough to not chase cars.

That being said, dogs can be a big pain in the as*. I remember learning in the MSF course the appropriate way to handle any dog approaching is to vary your speed. Dogs can not triangulate very well if you approach them slowly and the speed up just as you begin to reach them.

I'd probably also remind the dogs owners that if they don't control their property (dogs), and their property causes an accident or damage to your bike or yourself, that they will have to pay all costs.

It's not that different than living in an area where people always walk their dogs to let them s**t in others yards so they don't need to clean it up or put them out and let them bark all day long. It isn't the dogs faults that they have crappy owners.

Good luck.

Old 07-26-2006 | 09:34 AM
sctusa
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Horses_N_Harleys

ORIGINAL: dgator66

Take a marinade injector and fill a few hot dogs with cayenne pepper. It sounds cruel, but it is just irritating, not fatal. Stop the bike, feed doggie a hot dog, and watch the results. After two or three times, they will run away whenever they hear you coming. I had a blue healer and this is how I broke her of chasing kids on bikes. Don't drop the hotdogs while you are riding, they will be focussed on the bike and not notice. This particular dog also thinks that bad things in the motorcycle are coming from the exhaust pipes, so whenever I fire it up, she attacks the end of the muffler. She made the mistake of coming out of the house when I was just getting home and attacked a HOT muffler. That one cost me a vet bill.[:@]

The farmer who lives next to me had suggested I fill a squirt gun with Amonia or pepper spray, but I don't want to hurt the dogs, and besides with my luck I'd have the stuff fly back in my face and then be riding the bike blinded.[sm=nerd.gif]

What gets me is that these folks don't need to tie their dogs up or keep them in the house, they have a large fenced in area for them.

Oh and Duane, my daughter found out the hard way about hot pipes. I had the bike running and we were getting ready to go for a ride. Before she got on she bent down to tie her shoe laces and put her hand on the pipe. Of course she pulled off real quick and luckily she didn't get burned seriously, but she stays clear of the pipes now.
Been using the squirt gun thing for years. Works perfect. One time in the face and they will just watch you from then on. Does not permanetly injure at all. Dogs nose is super sensitive and of course a little in the eyes and no more chasing after you. It may just save you or someone else from getting hurt should the dogs get in front of your bike and you hit one and lose control...

Old 07-26-2006 | 09:54 AM
cutacroshorty
Road Master

It would be a relatively simple thing if it happened here. I've got a couple Golden Retrievers myself.

If there are animal control ordnances where you live that require owners not to allow their pet to run loose, then they are in violation. The best and safest thing to do is file an official complaint and possibly have the owners fined. They should respect your right also and keep the dogs in the fenced in yard.

Old 07-26-2006 | 10:00 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member

Get a trigger spray bottle. fill it with ammonia. ride past the house and when they come out shoot them in the face with the ammonia. soon the dogs will learn.

Old 07-26-2006 | 10:06 AM
Cognizant
Tourer

When you have the time; ride to the area, and when the dogs come running, stop the bike , get off and befriend the dogs. Perhaps even offer them a treat.Let them sniff around the bike and yourself untill they are familliar with both. Might take a couple of times, but they need to see the bike when it's not making noise and your not on it.

Old 07-26-2006 | 10:23 AM
notorious
Road Captain

Seems you and would I have the same objective mixed with huge entertainment.[sm=badbadbad.gif]
ORIGINAL: 06ultra

get you a pistol and ride back and forth acting like The Lone Ranger until all dog's are gone.[sm=joke.gif] or am I?

Quick Reply: What would you do???