General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Romark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery replacement

My bike is coming up on 3 years old. I keep it on a battery tender when parked in the garage.

Would replacing the battery as a preventative measure be what is suggested?

It always starts just as it did when new.

Can using the battery tender give a false sense of the battery's health? What I mean is, will it seem as though the battery is strong when first unplugging the tender then when I ride off into the sunset, the battery quickly discharges because it had an internal short all along?

Thanks

Old 02-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Kaycee
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

SOOO IT wont start after u ride or ??????????My battery is 5 yrs old and not a problem

Old 02-15-2010, 09:07 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like it's in good shape, why replace it. Mine is 4 years old and starts right up. I also keep it on a battery tender over the winter when I'm not riding it. If down the road it seems to be getting weak, test it and see if it's losing cranking power.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:19 AM
69z28
Road Warrior

It's a gamble,wait too long and it will put you down.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,121 Likes on 1,028 Posts

The battery on my '02 Ultra is the original one..... I started it yesterday with NO problems!

Old 02-15-2010, 10:01 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

You can have it tested. Batteries don't die suddenly, they deteriorate over time. Keeping it on a tender will likely extend the life of the battery. 4 years seems to be the average lifespan of most batteries. If you want the added security, there is no harm in replacing it before it goes to hell.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:27 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got one on my Valkyrie (which has 6 cyclinders and I suspect consumes a lot of battery power on a start-up) that's now almost 8 years old....keeping them on a battery tender, or frequent year-round riding (which is really the same thing) will keep a battery healthy for a very long time (especially the gel-acid variety). We have banks of batteries for emergency backup where I work, and lifespan is 15-20 years (of course they're not having the sh*t rattled out of them on a Harley, or baking on a 100 F day sitting next to a hot engine).

The Valkyrie has an alternator system, but I don't think that would make any difference. I've had other bikes that didn't get ridden much and weren't kept on a float charger, and had battery problems with 2 years. A frequently charged battery is a happy battery.

Another major consideration would be if you had a major trip planned....if I were heading out up the Alcan I'd definitely be replacing my Valk's ancient battery right now.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 AM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Have it checked for cranking amps. That is what starts your bike. If 3-4 years old and kept on a "tender", chances are it is in good shape. My battery is 4 1/2 years old, but the bike has never gone more than 7 days without being ridden and it spsins right off.

Bwana

Old 02-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Romark
Road Master

Thanks for the replies. Eases my mind. Of course, it will probably short out next time I leave the house.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:15 AM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
You can have it tested. Batteries don't die suddenly, they deteriorate over time. Keeping it on a tender will likely extend the life of the battery. 4 years seems to be the average lifespan of most batteries. If you want the added security, there is no harm in replacing it before it goes to hell.
I've had 2 car batteries die suddenly in hot weather which were about 51/2 to 6 years old. Taugh me a lesson. If over 5 years old replace it, not worth pushing it & get stranded.

Quick Reply: Battery replacement