General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more sales!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 10:38 AM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No more sales!

Went to a dealer here in Tn. Saturday and they were having a great sale on everything in the store.. Bought some bling for both bikes that I would not have normally spent money on.. but at 75% off could not pass it up.. Asked if they were going out of business and the clerk said No.. MOCO has said that the dealers can no longer advertise their sales.. they can still have sales but cannot advertise them.. no e-mails no word of mouth.. big fines if they do and will not stand behind any item sold under an advertiesed sale.. Anybody heard this elsewhere?

Old 02-14-2010, 10:41 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes. It has been post somewhere on here about Chicago and Zanotis. I guess now you have to ask if they are offering the discounts

Old 02-14-2010, 10:41 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

No. ... and I spend a lot of time in a lot of different Harley dealers.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:47 AM
RutRoo
Road Captain

Clerk at a multi dealership in Nashville said the MOCO wanted to bring back Brand Integrity.. Iguess hitting the dealers where it hurts will accomplish this..

Old 02-14-2010, 10:49 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

My dealer had an advertised sale this weekend, 20% off.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:55 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

No matter what the big heads at HD say, general practice under most state law requires them to provide at least an implied warranty for anything manufactured/sold under their authority. And saying, "You bought this through an unauthorized sale" doesn't negate that. While there are loopholes, in general they must specifically state these exceptions.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:55 AM
RutRoo
Road Captain

I think the ban goes into effect March 15.. I get e-mails from dealers close to me and if they have a really good sale then I will go see what they got.. That's how I knew the dealer this Saturday was having a sale.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:05 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
No matter what the big heads at HD say, general practice under most state law requires them to provide at least an implied warranty for anything manufactured/sold under their authority. And saying, "You bought this through an unauthorized sale" doesn't negate that. While there are loopholes, in general they must specifically state these exceptions.
My understanding is that they are not going to penalize the consumer, but will go after the dealer if they advertise a sale.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:11 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

i thought the moco has always said that the dealers are independent business' and they (moco)didn't have control of how they (dealers) do business. the moco wants it both ways.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:24 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

As Bill O'reilly would say..."I'm a simple guy" and don't understand why advertising a sale would harm the MOCO's integrity. Hell, the MOCO does it all the time on their official website with special deals on financing or trade allowances. Not saying it ain't true just makes no sense to me..But then allot of things don't make sense to me any more.

Quick Reply: No more sales!