General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more sales!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:06 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the point is being missed here. The title says "no more sales", but it should read "no more advertising sales" Discounts are still there, just wont be advertised

Old 02-14-2010, 01:15 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by BennieSG
I think the point is being missed here. The title says "no more sales", but it should read "no more advertising sales" Discounts are still there, just wont be advertised

Exactly

Old 02-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
As Bill O'reilly would say..."I'm a simple guy" and don't understand why advertising a sale would harm the MOCO's integrity. Hell, the MOCO does it all the time on their official website with special deals on financing or trade allowances. Not saying it ain't true just makes no sense to me..But then allot of things don't make sense to me any more.
I think it has to do more with a bigger dealer having sales all the time trying to kill off the little dealer in the next town. As you have seen some Harley dealers are faltering badly. I think they just wanna even the field. Why dont the MoCo just have their own sales that all dealers have to honor? Kind of like how Wal-Mart puts out a flyer.....the sale price is good at all stores.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:18 PM
snook592
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding is that they are not going to penalize the consumer, but will go after the dealer if they advertise a sale.

How the heck are they gonna penalize the consumer??? Tell them they can't buy HD anymore??? that a good way to stay in business. Or do I have to stand in the corner?????

Old 02-14-2010, 02:21 PM
snook592
Club Member

Moco already penalizes the consumer by over charging them on anything they buy. Even after it is on sale it is still over priced.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scoteh
The way I got it was that the dealers can no longer advertise that they will sell parts and accesories at the 20% discount, as Zanotti's, Chicago, Surdyke's, and others have done. I'll wait and see if they no longer offer the discount without advertising it. I just ordered, and received, an item from Zanotti's at the discount price.
OH,.. I get it now!!!! (Finally).

The counter guys have been bitching about the online sellers for years now. It's killing the regular priced parts departments. People come in and get part "numbers" and go home and shop online.

So in order to fight back, they stop the online sellers from advertising the 20% discounts.
But in order to make it legal, they have to stop all discounts advertising (not just the online sellers).

Can't make a rule for one dealership that ain't enforced on all dealerships.

Now I see the logic behind the new rules. I "get it". I finally understand the madness! He he! And it makes good sense.
But I'd have to wager that the counter guys are still unhappy.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 02-14-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:03 PM
tgshoe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Harley is merely going to a business practice that a Lot of companies have and that is they prohibit an authorized retailer, in this case the independent dealerships, from advertising prices that are under msrp. Ever been to bestbuy or sears website and you have to add the item to your "cart" to see the sale price? This is merely the same thing. I doubt dealers are prohibited from advertising they are having a sale, just that they can't advertise the sale price or the discount. It is common practice among business. Once a business has purchased a part from a company the company can not tell them what to sell it for as it is now the business's property, they couldn't tell you what to sell your bike for. They can however control how their product is advertised. As with any purchase you should always negotiate the best price.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:05 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by snook592
How the heck are they gonna penalize the consumer??? Tell them they can't buy HD anymore??? that a good way to stay in business. Or do I have to stand in the corner?????
Read the post I quoted and see what I was talking about with warranty

Old 02-14-2010, 03:20 PM
snook592
Club Member

Read the post I quoted and see what I was talking about with warranty

Dude I'm just yanking your chain. Relax its all good

Old 02-14-2010, 03:26 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member