General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decide where to ride....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 11:14 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Decide where to ride....

How do you decide where to ride? I know, sounds like a dumb question. But, I've been down every road around my house multiple times. Now, I want to ride but I don't know where to go besides over the same roads....it's like I have no aim except to ride awhile. What's a new method of picking a good place to go?

Old 02-13-2010, 11:20 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Find and area little ways from your home that you like to go and ride and just turn down a road.

Sometimes ill look at a map of ohio and i know what the roads are like in most areas of the state and i will just look on the map and say ill head that way on that road.

One day i did that and got lost but found some great roads and ended up over by stubenville ohio at about 9pm and didn't make it home until midnight but was some nice riding

You say by your house how far do you want to go on a day ride and also i have rode alot around my own county but still find new and exciting roads and paths that are off of roads i ride all the time and never knew how great they were and wear they lead to.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:24 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't really have a set distance that I'll go. Sometimes just short ride and sometimes all day. I used to do just that...take off it a direction and go down any road I found that I had not been down before. I'm just running out of places to go with an hour or two ride that I haven't been already. Just looking for some way to spice it up a bit.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:30 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to think about it as well. I feel like I have been everywhere but then I found this site and found a few new rides. Try it and see if theres any spots where you live

http://www.openroadjourney.com/

Old 02-13-2010, 11:37 PM
The Shute
Club Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just hit every Roadhouse you come across. Talk to the local customers and go on to the next one. I left Wisconsin in 1981 and today I'm in California. Seen a lot of crap met a lot of folks and never had one map.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:54 PM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some nice maps of all the surrounding counties.I'll study them and try to find some backroads I've never been on.Other times I'll just top the tank off and get lost on purpose.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:56 PM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL! I'm just the opposite of the shute.I dig maps but still frown on GPS!

Old 02-14-2010, 12:10 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

One benefit to living in Ohio is the number of small towns and back roads. I don't know if I would have enough time to wear them all out. I just head out and keep riding until I get to where I am. No map ever unles I have a destination in mind.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:29 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like KBFXDLI said i also live in ohio and have 42,000 on my bike in little over 2 1/2 years and haven't even come close to running out of roads or being on all the good roads in just my county alone. And theres like 88 counties in ohio. I can go on a ride with a buddy never go more than two counties and we end up on roads that i have never been on and i grew up here just amazing what you can find if you just clear your mind and don't worry about wear your going and get yourself lost eventually you will come out on some road you know and go dam that was a cool road

Old 02-14-2010, 01:23 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Pick up some of the local biker mags at your local HD dealer or biker bar. Most of them have some type of ride report where people share their favorite roads/rides.

If you've really done all the roads within a certain distance from your house, the only way to get a change of scenery is to go farther.

Quick Reply: Decide where to ride....