General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a used Harley off of eBay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Burstbucker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Would you buy a used Harley off of eBay?

I've read on the internet that there are some great deals on used Harleys on eBay of all things. I thought that they were nuts and wondered how this could work but after checking it out for myself, it might not be so crazy after all.

There's a number of legit companies with a good track record and with lots of good feedback from happy customers, plus they include lots of detailed info and lots of good quality pictures to help give you a good idea of what they're selling.

I know that there's a ton of good used Harleys down there in the states going at bargain-basement prices (something we don't see much of here in Atlantic Canada) and maybe this would be a way to get a great bike at a great price.

Has anybody here ever tried this or maybe you know somebody who has, what's your feelings on this eBay route?

Last edited by Burstbucker; 02-13-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:53 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, are you a gambling man?

Old 02-13-2010, 09:56 PM
shake rattle n roll
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did get mine off ebay, the seller was a lier(or just not that smart mechanicly) but i still got a great deal in my opinion.

Do your homework research the seller the bike , the things you need to get it over the border and shipping ..before you bid.

if you need any info that you cant find , i just did this in september of 09 took a long time to get my bike due to postal blunders with the title

And now i fix , and fix , and fix lmao
but im only into it for about 8400 Canadian and i know what i got.
Runs for wood to hit....

Best part some guy with a lot of money cant go buy one like IT at the dealer

Old 02-13-2010, 09:56 PM
skullwizard
Cruiser

I bought my Rocker C off of ebay!!!~~~ from a private owner in NY...

got a great deal~~~ had shipped by haul bikes (www.haulbikes.com)

everything went GREAT!!!!

GO FOR IT!!!! make sure you check feedback and read all details and look over all pics

GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-13-2010, 09:58 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I've only bought one veh on ebay. It was an exotic car and I ended up putting as much into it as I paid for it. Guy wasn't very honest about the condition.
I have known others that have bought both cars and bikes and been very happy.
Like extech asked....Are you a gambling man? Ya puts in yer bid....ya takes yer chances.

edit...Hell I'm watchin an Evo on ebay right now. If it don't get too much higher I might bid on it.

Last edited by IronAss; 02-13-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:01 PM
skullwizard
Cruiser

Originally Posted by IronAss
I've only bought one veh on ebay. It was an exotic car and I ended up putting as much into it as I paid for it. Guy wasn't very honest about the condition.
I have known others that have bought both cars and bikes and been very happy.
Like extech asked....Are you a gambling man? Ya puts in yer bid....ya takes yer chances.

I bought a Dodge RAM Daytona GO MANGO orange off of ebay as well

overall VERY happy with that purchase as well

Old 02-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Costnsg
Advanced

I bought an 07 Wide Glide on Ebay in December of 2008 with 2500 miles. I'm still happy with the deal I made. In this case, the listing had a "best offer" option and I made an offer contingent on me checking out the bike before payment. It was about 6 hours driving away from me, and the next day I took a road trip to go check it out. Left early, test rode the bike, went to the local bank to get a check, rented a u-haul trailer, loaded it, and hauled it home. It was a long day.

The bike was fine and I love it. I've done a stage one upgrade, and now need new tires!

I'd be a little anxious sending money for a used bike without seeing it up close, but there are other options such as my example.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:06 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I've bought three bikes and an engine off ebay. Good deals and no problems. I go pickup and pay in person so it's a lot like buying out of the trader or the classifieds.

As always if a deal looks too good to be true it probably is.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:07 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

If watch your P's & Q's Are some Great deals to be made on Ebay .. I have bought and sold both on ebay .. Just to clarify that am only talking 5 transactions 2 buys and 3 sells.. My 1st rule is 500 miles radius on buying one .. So can pick it up personally and inspect and run it.. For Sales will sell to anyone in the US but shipping arrangements is on their shoulders.. Didn't happen anyway, All 3 sales were picked up.. On the sells agreed to the Buyer come with the money check it out hand me the money and ride it, not happy .. Just pay for the cost to relist the Bike.. Never had any problem doing it this way ..

Old 02-13-2010, 10:07 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have bought 2 bikes and one car off ebay. One bike and one car I bought were close enough for me to pick up. Those turned out to be great deals. One bike I bought from across the country and I had to have it shipped. Well it was a really good deal, but the idiot who sold it decided to run the bike empty of gas instead of drain the tank. He ran it in place for hours until the the whole tank went empty. Bike got so hot it messed up the valves. Luckily I got it so cheap that it was still a good deal. My advise is buy one that you can pick up yourself. Unless the deal is so good that you could unload it and not get hurt.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a used Harley off of eBay?