General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a used Harley off of eBay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine on eBay. Got a good deal too.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:17 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did. It worked out very well for me. Your results may vary.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Burstbucker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the good advice guys!

Over all it seems that most people don't discount the idea outright but just exercise caution. I was thinking of staying away from buying from an individual and only considering a business that's moving a lot of units, has a long track record of selling on there and lots of good feedback from buyers.

But yeah, it's a lot of money to pay out if one of these companies would go under and shut down just in the middle of your transaction, that's kind of scary.

Then I'm in Canada and you have to go through all that BS with customs, etc..............

I suppose I could keep my scope to anything within an 8 hours drive from my house but that really narrows the field. A lot of you folks mention Craigslist but there's hardly anything listed around here on there, Ii guess it hasn't caught on here but everybody uses Kijiji instead.

But there again, there's a much smaller pool of bikes to chose from compared to what's available on eBay, so you don't usually find the deals.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Pappa Harley
Novice

I am from Toronto Canada and bought mine on craigslist from Charlotte NC.I watched all the listings from states i was willing to go to.Watched for about 6 months.I did not put any money up front and drove the 12 hours to check it out all was good.Like any major purchase do your home work and if the deal and the seller seem okay go for it.I would do it all again.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:07 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought my 99 Softail Custom on e-bay. It had 17,000 miles on it, and is in excellent shape. Not a scratch anywhere, and it runs perfect. I had to drive about 600 miles to get it, but it was well worth the trip. I was fortunate to get a really great seller, and even after the deal was made, he threw in a new Dunlop rear tire. He was the second owner of the bike and gave me the bill of sale from when he bought it for $16,800 in 2003. The original owner put lots of chrome on it and only rode it 4,000 miles.
I paid $7,100 for it, and it was exactly what I was looking for. So I think I got a great deal. I have put close to 5,000 miles on it since I got it last may, and I could not be happier.
I think you have to look at the pictures, and read the fine print, and if it is "over" sold, look somewhere else.

Attached Thumbnails Would you buy a used Harley off of eBay?-harley-with-new-seat-007.jpg  
Old 02-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Joe477
Tourer

Ebay is not bad, weather you buy from a "business" or a private seller. I have purchased numerous items off ebay good deals and have not been burned. You just have to do your research and remember IF IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY ISN'T.

I bought my Fat Bob off Craig's list. I called the dude, made no promises, and went with a mechanic buddy to look at the bike. Got a sweet deal.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:17 AM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought my 2007 Road King Classic off eBay. Granted mine was from a used bike dealer in another state but it still scared the hell out of me, buying a bike essentially sight unseen.

Had it shipped from NC to TX.

Nothing at all was misrepresented on the bike. Its in great shape and runs great. Only thing I could find that I would rather have not been there was the rear fender is buggered up under the seat. But that's par for the course.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Big Rol
Road Captain

I bought my o6fxst in a no reserve auction (repo) for 7600. It had app1500 in extras
Dealer footed cost of independent appraisal if I guaranteed a purchase It scored 95/100 Asa new with worn rear tire as only mention, these guys check everything. Shipping was a cinch. Drivren onto a HD shipping pallet, strapped and encased with plywood. Sent by UPS to customs warwhouse St John. I met it there with trailor done my own brokerage (15 min trip to customs) Paid the $204.00 RIV and Done. Stripped crate at home and rode bike off. Using the metal floor and frame parts from crate to make a table lift. If I had time I would do it again with profit in mind.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:08 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would have no problem...just have it checked by a dealer before money changes hands

Old 02-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my FXD on eBay. Seller had a great history and I spoke to him a several times and felt comfortable, had him email me a copy of the title, etc. Got a very nice bike for a good price. Nothing wrong with eBay if you just know how to use it. I buy and sell there all the time.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a used Harley off of eBay?