General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a used Harley off of eBay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was the second highest eBay bidder on my FXR4, then the winner did not contact the seller. The seller was an HD dealer 250 miles from my home and I got to see the bike the day I "lost" on eBay. Was in the area anyway for work that day, oddly enough. The dealer called me a week later and sold me the bike for $200 less than the winning eBay bid, with heated Winter storage. Guess it was meant to be. Got the bike for less than I have seen them for sale anywhere. That said, I agree with the fellow that said buy your bikes on Craigslist. Have seen lots of good deals there and I only shop within 300 miles of home on Craigslist. Nice to sit on what you are thinking of buying. Still, would go long distance on eBay - for the right deal. You know a thread on eBay tips would be a good idea.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:18 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I buy and sell all kinds of things on ebay. All of my chrome mods have been bought on ebay, here on hdf, or craigslist. I would buy a bike on ebay but have a dealer inspection as a contingency.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:09 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I found my '09 FXDC listed on ebay last August. The seller was a car dealer less than 10 miles from me. Brought cash and stopped the bidding in person. Bike had 375 miles on her and I paid $9,600 plus tax, doc fees and lic. My bike was in showroom condition!

Brand new they were selling for $13,300 plus all the other charges at our local HD dealership.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:16 AM
Grrrl
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My boyfriend bought his 03 Heritage softail from Washington DC off of Ebay. We live on Vancouver Island but the deal was worth the distance.
That is her in my profile picture. Sadly, she has a new home now. He now rides an 08 Street Glide.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:28 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I bough my bike off eBay from a guy in Indianapolis - about 3 hours away. Hit the "Buy it Now" button and got a great deal. Paid him $1,000 via Paypal when I hit the button, then the balance (about $8,000) when I picked it up. There's less of a gamble when you buy it close enough that you can go check it out before you pay in full.

Certainly a bit more of a gamble to pay in full and wait for it to be shipped from some distant location.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:39 AM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had friends get decent deals on bikes on Ebay, nobody I know has been screwed too badly yet. Actually thinking of selling my Dyna on Ebay, probably going to start with the local craiglist sites first since I'd rather sell close to home for ease of payment and delivery.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:41 AM
Malibyte
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my '03 FXDWG (with 2000-and-change miles) about a year and a half ago from a seller on eBay who is a small-time dealer in San Diego. Excellent seller who gave me a great deal on the bike. I also bought a lot of the centennial chrome bits, my tach and housing, and some other upgrades on eBay. Bike now has about 10K miles on it. No problems at all.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:23 AM
freddyttt
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

A few months back I purchased my 2001 Low Rider with only 11,000+ miles (guy even over stated the milage) for 5,300(cash).... the guy selling was about 6 hrs away. i did not and would not give a deposit before seeing the bike. so you gotta be ready to travel quick as most require a deposit with-in 3 days or so. I used car-fax. he had the bike serviced from an HD dealer so i had my dealer check the records. grabbed my buddy who knows bikes and hauled ***. just be careful.

post a thread here if you find something.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-purchase.html

and remember- we are in tough times = cash is king.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:27 AM
Hooker 6
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a 2002 Lowrider with 4700 miles for $5600 in October, and the bike was as advertised and more - security system, two extra seats and battery tender. My rules - no more than 500 miles. No deposit greater than $500. And the right answer to all my questions, and there were a bunch! Do research on the bike - history as well as "completed" price on ebay. I bought another bike on Craig's list. You're not gambling if you see, ride, and research the bike first.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:09 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe,after doing all the research,talking to the seller,then seeing the bike up close and personal.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a used Harley off of eBay?