General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I cover my MC or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 07:18 PM
rreffner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I cover my MC or not?

I have an '06 RG and live in North Florida. A 2-car carport is attached to my house. Should I as a matter of routine cover my bike when not in use or leave uncovered? Pros vx cons.

Thanks

Old 07-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain
Default RE: Should I cover my MC or not?

I garage my bike, so daily covering is not an issue. That being said, when I travel, I cover my bike. Two reasons; to keep it clean and security. I would recommend purchasing a generic cover (non-Harley Davison) and covering your bike every night. By using a generic cover, your not advertising that there is a $20,000.00 motorcycle sitting outside all by itself. If you wrench on your own ride, you know just how easy it is to unbolt/screw and remove components. By covering the bike, you reduce its visibilty!

Old 07-25-2006, 07:38 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was younger I lived in an Apartment complex with no garage, so I kept my Yamaha under a cover untill storage in the winter. It worked out fine except for one corner of the front fender where the wind would whip the cover against the paint, it actually wore the paint down to metal after a while. It was that or rain, I chose the cover.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:50 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you need a garage buddy.The cons are too great either way.Even more so if salt is present.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:09 PM
boom215
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your worried about security you could park your cars in a way so that it would be really really hard to get it out without moving the car. for protection from wind, rain, etc. i would cover it anyway everyday. i live in an apt. and cover mine every night and try to park really close between my truck and my girls car.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:31 PM
billk
Road Master

Hell, I cover mine in the garage; otherwise, dust issues. A lot of pollutants in the air that will, after time, affect your paint. Cover it.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:34 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Considering where you live, I would cover it because of salt = corrosion.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:44 PM
bikerdog
Cruiser

I had only a car port to store my 1st bike.I stored it covered in late fall and winter. As my bikes got more expensive I took a portion of the car port and enclosed three sides of it .(the 4th side being the house ) And built two doors about 3ft. wide, all out of plywood and 2x4s . The bike is out of the elements and locked ,both the doors and the bike. Maybe this is something possible for yourself. I store a lot of my stuff in there also bike jack ,grill , lawn mower, other windshild ,oil, bike cover all the stock stuff I took off the bike. You will be surprised how much more useable space you have once you have four walls to hang stuff up on around your bike . Plus it only cost me around $700.00 to build it!

Old 07-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Bluerose

I garage mine and don't cover it...was going to cover it at work but after the first day of light winds I found it was rubbing on the windshild (I have fine scratchs at the top now) and my lights ---it was a Walmart generic cover. Decided I rather not cover it at work and just lock it up good. If you have the room think about securing a bike barn or small shed to store it in.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:45 PM
henryjw1
Cruiser

I keep mine in the garage. If am going to be out of town any period of time, I cover it. Mostly dust protection.

Quick Reply: Should I cover my MC or not?