Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership wont budge a dime on nothing

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Just a thought.

I've been looking for a new truck recently.

Every single auto dealership I've been into (4 in the last week) has had Harley's in the showroom or on the lot, that they've taken in trade. Guys could not sell them in this market, so they traded them in on new vehicles. Now the dealers are trying to sell them.

Prices were not bad at all.

If you want a nice Harley, you might try looking at the car dealers in your area. They took them in trade to get a sale out of it, but they want to get rid of them. This weird economy has made for some "strange arrangements" out there...

Just a thought.

Doc

Old 02-12-2010, 07:58 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 496 Likes on 258 Posts

2 questions...

1) How far are YOU willing to travel? to save how much money?

2) why not just keep the metric, until you pay it off? or at least just owe trade in value?

Personally? I never grasped the concept of trading in something I owed money on.... but then again, I'm a cheap old fart. It ain't likely they'll run out of Harley by the time you pay off the metric

Old 02-12-2010, 07:58 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 931 Likes on 573 Posts

Walk out everyone has them. If they drop set up and throw in the 1k you should go for it. I always add the service manual. That may happen after you walk out. Buyers for bikes are in short supply.

I like that. Buyers for Bikes. We should form a club.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Rockrat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Tulsa and Stillwater. Make phone calls (cheap and may save you plenty) and find out what kind of deals are out there. Find a good deal, make a road trip.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:16 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just in case you hadn't heard (and some dealers apparently haven't) there's LOTS of H-D dealers out there who will deal with you...

Find you one...

There are 3 dealers within a 50 mile radius of my home town...the one I deal with is one of the best I've seen ANYwhere...
The second runs hot and cold, but if you're there at the right time, you can catch a good deal...
The third one couldn't sell me a glass of ice water if I were in Hell, and they only stay in business because apparently SOME buyers aren't savvy enough to tell them to kiss off, and shop around...

Last edited by *NIGHT TRAIN*; 02-12-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:37 PM
manderson
Novice

definitely try stillwater. Not sure if they do trades though. I can give ya the number if you need it. Ive always heard Bartlesville was the place to go though.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran into the same no deal thing.The New W.G. is a hot bike and they know it.Most of the dealers in my area didn't even have them in stock.With production cuts they may be hard to find especially if the economy picks up and summer rolls around.Good luck.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:07 PM
biggun6969
Stage II
Default The truth worked for me

I loaded up my Dyna Convertible and headed to Cowboy Harley to see what kind of deal they could work out. I left with a 2010 Wide Glide with flames. I started the process when they opened the door at 9 am and didn’t leave until after 1:30 pm. I test drove two models and decided on the one I bought. I started negotiating on price around 10:30 and did not stop until about 2 hours later. I had already run the numbers and knew exactly what they could do and what I was willing to pay. I threw out a number I knew they could not meet and they threw one back I was not willing to pay.

The finance gal said “well, you know what you can afford.”

I then told her “I can afford any motorcycle in this dealership; you have my credit number and pay information in front of you. It is not what I can afford but what I am willing to pay and I am not going to pay that number…give me back my title”.

So she took off with her pack of papers and the salesman came back and handed me my title asking “where you expecting to pay less than MSRP?”

“Yes” I replied.

“Harley Davidson is not in the position where they have to take less than MSRP thankfully”.

“Listen, Harley Davidson is in the worst financial situation it has seen since AMF bailed ya’lls *** out back in the eighties. I am the only one here buying a motorcycle and I am not paying top dollar.”

“Well what if we take a thousand dollars off?” and then he ran some number and came back with damn near exactly what I was willing to pay per month. It really was not fair for them. The numbers I ran were for a less expensive bike. The other bike was a sale bike about $190 less than the one I got and the freight and dealer setup was included. I planned on not paying freight, set up, and less than MSRP on the one I got. I believe I paid MSRP, but they gave me more for my trade than I could have sold it for on my own! I couldn’t believe it. They will never get their money back on the 1996 bike plus they have to put a rear tire on it before than can even sell it because it is damn near slick. And the more trade in you have the less taxes you pay.

It would have cost over $1500 to get mine where I wanted it and I knew it was not worth it. I would never recoup that money if I ever sold it. I decided I enjoy riding and would rather put that money towards a new one. Fun stuff. Later.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 PM
dban55
Intermediate

The Harley website says there giving $1000 extra toward a 09 or 08. I would look for another dealer. http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...-exchange.html

Old 02-12-2010, 10:18 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

First; I would keep the metric and sell it myself. I would take advantage of the season and economy and call every dealer in the country until I found the right deal on the bike I wanted. Shipping is like $600 from pretty much anywhere. There are a lot of dealers sitting with tons of inventory and someone will want your business and work to earn it.

Quick Reply: Dealership wont budge a dime on nothing