General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main difference in Harley Garmin 550 and regular Garmin 550

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:00 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having owned a Zumo 550 since it came out, and having looked at the HD branded one at the dealership, I'll offer the following:

The HD branded Zumo replaces the Home button with the Find A Dealership button. Most people I ride with go home more often than the go to a dealership. Hell most of us know where all the local dealerships are located. You can download a POI file with all the dealerships for free at multiple websites.

The bluetooth sounded great, until you realize that it's mono audio optimized for voice. Works great for using the Zumo as a handsfree setup in the car. Not really gonna do you any good on the bike.

XM sounded good, until you realize that the Zumo only has the interface software. You'll need to spend $200 for a specific antenna. Want XM in the car... well either you get creative or you spend another $200. Now if you are thinking you want the XM for the weather.... the interface sucks. You'd think that Garmin would have provided a doppler radar type screen so you could see your location in reference to that looming storm cloud. Nope. Garmin provides this on their marine models, but the Zumo only shows an icon to tell you the forcast.

Now, don't get me wrong I wouldn't give up my Zumo if you paid me. It's either on the bike or in the truck anytime I go somewhere. The external buttons are very nice, and makes it easy to scroll through the available screens. With the custom mount I worked up on my Dyna, I actually use the speedometer screen as it's easier to see than the bikes tank mounted speedo. I've been through torrential downpours with no problem, and even rode through a snow squall it the gps kept ticking.

If you want to do some more research prior to buying, take a look at Zumoforums.com

Old 02-11-2010, 06:13 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at the Garmin website, the new Zumo 665 comes with the XM antenna and they have changed the weather info from icons to a radar image. The Zumo 665 also comes with stereo bluetooth. The new Zumo 220 is the budget version. No XM, No Bluetooth, etc. Based on the pictures, these newer Zumo models are more pocket friendly than the 550.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:39 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 204 Posts

I rode through many storms with my non motorcycle Garmin and it still works as new. I would definitely get the non branded gps if you wanted to go the 550 route.

This guy has a good website of things you can do with the Garmin Nuvi models.:

http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/ga...html#page1text

Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you look at the 550 it comes with the car setup and the handle bar on the bike setup.
The road tech at HD doesn't have all this stuff.
And you can go to garmin.com and download POI and then download the list of HD dealerships across the us and it will load into yer extra on the zumo 550.

The 550 will hold more routes.
The 660 has more internal memory but don't hold as many routes.
I like the zumo 550 handle bar ram mount better also.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:22 PM
donc
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so it looks like my thoughts about the Harley unit is the dealership difference.
Well, can't go the 1K on a new unit.
Check out this review:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b6vuILqPnw
He was asked on a you tube post about the 660. In HIS opinion, he didn't like it near as much.
Here's the main site: http://www.motorcyclevideoreview.com/
I went to a Harley shop today to look at the fairing mount. Only 1 parts guy and had to go.
Not sure why I would need that over a handlebar mount.
My service guy said that there was a new model in the newest catalog and it was cheaper than the 550 by about $50(?).
I really don't care about XM. If I need music, I have a good Ipod.
When I'm alone, I often opt for no music.
Thanks much for the valuable information.
I was looking at the 1390T at Costco for $299. Free traffic and lifetime maps. I just want something that will withstand the elements. It runs an average of 100+ here in my part of Ca. in the summer. Since I plan on traveling across the country, waterproof would be very nice.
Thanks

Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 PM
rkrdr2
Advanced
Unhappy

GPS on a motorcycle?...I thought the freedom of riding was no route plan...just going out and getting lost...reaching the fork in the road trying to decide which way to go...passing a strange road...asking yourself "I wonder where it goes" then turning around and finding out...I guess I am getting old...

Old 02-11-2010, 10:26 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rkrdr2
GPS on a motorcycle?...I thought the freedom of riding was no route plan...just going out and getting lost...reaching the fork in the road trying to decide which way to go...passing a strange road...asking yourself "I wonder where it goes" then turning around and finding out...I guess I am getting old...
That's true when you are riding alone...

When you are leading a group it's nice to know where you're going so everyone isn't making u-turns all day.

My GPS is on my bike all the time except riding to work and back. It's turned on to listen to XM Radio and usually doesn't have a route plugged in. I like watching the altitude changes when going through the mountains and the compass spinning around through the twisties.

It's also great for finding a gas station in an unfamiliar area, restaurants, hotels and repair failities if someone breaks down.

Last edited by joe.1955; 02-11-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:11 PM
KentFXD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rkrdr2
You're right. but for me, having a GPS *gives* me that freedom... having it means I can wander where ever I want, take whatever turns I want, and not worry about remembering how to get home when its time to go back. I want the adventure on the *outbound* leg of the trip. When I've had enough or get tired, I just hit 'home' on the GPS, and I'm on my way back, with no stress.

Cheers,
Kent

Old 02-12-2010, 02:22 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use garmin 755t with a ram-mount waterproof box. My cost was $225. from garmin @ amazon and ram mount stuff under $50. I have use a cheap garmin 205 but I want FM to my radio instead of the bluetooth. The 755t work great with POI. If you know what you like get it. Use the garmin charts to see what type fits you.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:55 AM
donc
1st Gear
Default After much research

I decided on the Zumo 550 from Costco. I know that they're discontinuing the 550 but I can't justify another $400 (Costco $599, 665 $999 when they come out).
This should more than suit my needs. I only wish it had the posted speed limit indicator on it.
Zumo forums was a great help. You too though!
Thanks

Quick Reply: Main difference in Harley Garmin 550 and regular Garmin 550