General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Illinois News (get involved!) they want to take away your kids atv & motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 AM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Illinois News (get involved!) they want to take away your kids atv & motorcycle

Proposed legislation targets ATV riders

Saturday, February 06, 2010
Share With Friend
By Matthew Baker
lasallereporter@newstrib.com
Local dirt bike and all-terrain vehicle enthusiasts are used to adrenaline-fueled rides through wooded trails and on motocross trails, but nothing gets their hearts pumping quite like having a state legislator propose taking away their ability to ride.
“I have a problem with the government legislating common sense,” Gerhard Ward of rural Mendota said.
For the second year in a row, state Rep. Mary E. Flowers (D-Chicago) has proposed a piece of legislation (HB-5029) that would require instruction on laws regarding ATVs and off-highway motorcycles to students in kindergarten through twelfth-grade, prohibit the use of these vehicles on roads, require information relating to these vehicles be included in publications of the “Rules of the Road” by the Secretary of State and “Laws for Youth” by the Legislative Research Unit, and most aggravating to local riders, make it illegal to ride these vehicles for anyone under 16 years of age, without a valid driver’s license and without a helmet.
“I look at is as being a wake-up call. I look at it as being a reminder for parents, for young people to take care of themselves,” Flowers said.
For local families, whose children often begin riding at young ages, it’s an attempt to take away a beloved pastime through overzealous legislation.
During the prime riding season of March through late-November, hundreds of area families will spend countless hours in riding parks and on tracks.
“Pretty much every Sunday during the season we’re racing and on Saturday we’re at the park practice riding or we’re working on the bike,” said Eugene Bodmer of Mendota, whose son Grant, 15, has been riding for the past two years.
Ward, who is also the American Motorcyclist Association district 17 director and owner of Fox Valley Off Road riding park in Wedron, has two sons, Travis, 14, and Garrett, 8. The boys have been riding since they were 4 years old.
While the boys have the option to participate in any sport or activity they’d wish – all of which, Ward points out, carry the risk of injury — riding is their preferred activity.

“That’s all they’ve ever asked us to do,” their mother Patty Ward said.
While Flowers still believes these vehicles are dangerous for small children, she sounds like she may be willing to compromise.
“I’m sure I’ll be more than happy to try to work on that part of the bill, but, again, I think there should be age and weight factors involved,” Flowers said.
For many riders, it’s more than just a family hobby, though.
Duane Buffo has been riding dirt bikes for nearly 40 years. In that time, he’s passed his passion down to his children and grandchildren. He is also the owner of Riders Choice Racing in Oglesby.
“If this goes through it would really hurt the industry and our business,” Buffo said.
Buffo and Ward both said they do a lot of business with families that have young children.
“If this lady’s bill goes through my business would be gone,” Ward said. “We’ve put everything into it.”
When asked what he would do if he had to stop riding until he turned 16, Travis Ward said he’d move out of state.
While picking up and moving might be a stretch, the business owners think it’s very likely that people would travel out of state to ride rather than give up their hobby, which would mean a lot of dollars to riding-related businesses and other businesses going out of state.
While this piece of legislation irks riders, they do agree with Flowers’ general motivation of increasing safety.
“I understand that she wants to make things safe, but she’s getting a little overboard,” Buffo said.
Flowers said she was inspired to craft the bill after hearing of an 18-year-old woman who lived in a town north of Springfield, who was injured in an ATV accident, in which she wasn’t wearing a helmet, about two years ago.
“As a mother, it just hurt my heart to see this young beautiful, otherwise healthy, lady laying in (a hospital) bed and her head is all messed up,” Flowers said.
The local riders, who support increased safety training and equipment usage, don’t see this as a reason for limiting their ability to participate in riding.
“Evidently she thinks the best way to attack an issue like this is to take it away from everyone,” Ward said.
Buffo pointed out that there’s a wide range of safety equipment available and serious accidents are most likely to occur when people attempt to just hop on a dirt bike or ATV that might not be the correct size for them or without the proper equipment or basic safety training.
Ward’s children, for example, can easily rattle off each piece of equipment they need to be wearing before they ride: helmet, chest protector, goggles, gloves and boots.
“We think properly supervised the ATV and dirt bike vehicles are acceptable ways for young children to enjoy the outdoors and have very positive vehicle experiences,” said George Tinkham, the state legislative coordinator for motorcycling advocacy group ABATE of Illinois.
The point of controversy appears to be who gets to control the issue.
At riding parks, such as Ward’s, helmets and liability waivers for minors are required. What they don’t like is the idea of letting the state mandate the issue. Flowers sees it from the other perspective.
“Everyone else can say it, everyone else can do it, but if I want to put it into law, there’s something wrong with it? There’s something wrong with that theory,” Flowers said.
Still, she’ll be facing a battle against those who love to ride.
The riding community is a close-knit group, according to Ward. When Flowers proposed a similar bill last year, he said, about 150 riders showed up at a legislative education committee meeting in Springfield in March to voice their disapproval. The bill died 17-3.
On that occasion, riders only caught wind of the bill at the last minute. This year he expects even more will make the trip, although it’s not something he hopes will become an annual outing.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:42 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a croc 'o chit! My son is 14, 5'10", 140 pounds, and is as safe a rider on his 4-wheeler as any adult I've seen...and, safer than many adults I've seen. Has this twit ever observed "licensed" adults drive on her local highways?! Man, I get really tired of all these idiots trying to "protect us from ourselves"!!!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:00 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

More nanny goverment BS. These half wits can barely find their way to work and all they want to do is file idiotic bills to have more control over our lives. Vote this DB out!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:03 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I wish someone would take the atv away from the kid that flys thru my front yard sometimes

Old 02-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Philly76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unbelievable! Lived in Illinois for just over three years and some of their government officials, both state and local levels, found new ways to amaze me with what they focused on. So let’s run through this if you Rep. Flowers preparing to propose this legislation:
· Unemployment - Check
· Inflation - Check
· Foreclosures - Check
· Producer Prices - Check
· Other Econ Indicators - Check
· Recession - Check
· Youth Motorsports - Yes - Needs Urgent Attention!
In addition to ATV’s and motorcycles, how about snowmobiling! Easy to use this Rep. Flowers as a classic example of why our country is in the mess it is. Ignore the real world and focus either on an agenda fueled by self or a loud voter. I hope those still in Illinois raise some hell with this one.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:19 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

They've never been legal on the road.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Chicago Bob
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 2 Posts

The district of the woman (Mary Flowers) that sponsored the bill is in Chicago. Her office is on 79th street. This is Da Hood! The neighborhood is most famous for street gangs

I doubt if anyone in her district has an ATV or off road motorcycle or even knows what they are. And there sure as hell is nowhere in her district to ride these vehicles.

Why she would sponsor such a bill is very suspect.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:31 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Baltimore City has something like that law about dirt bike and all-terrain vehicle. And make's it illegal to own in the City. The only ones that have them in the city are drug runners. They run large groups of dirts bikes and ATV's on the street stealing everything they can.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:49 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The economy is in the pooper, there are wars going on in Afghanistan and Iraq, illegal immigration is at an all time high, we have a lunatic in the white house, there are drugs and all sort of criminals on the streets, and she thinks the best way to protect kids is to keep them off of dirt bikes? Finaly a politician who has her priorities straight.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:01 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here a link to the problem Baltimore had with Dirt bikes in the city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAA28...eature=related

Quick Reply: Illinois News (get involved!) they want to take away your kids atv & motorcycle