General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Move over Law

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:40 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't mess with the law in Maine,same as everywhere else.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:46 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by judge jb
we have this law in Mississippi...
Weirdest thing I noticed when I moved to Mississippi (short term error - I won't do that again), and it's not a law - the deal where a car puts on his turn signal and all the cars behind him put on their turn signals. Then, the front car turns and everyone behind him turns off their turn signal and keeps going straight.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:41 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Completely agree with the requirement of this very common law (which shouldn't have required that a law be written for what should be a common sense kind of response).

A somewhat related requirement in Washington state is that vehicles cannot block the left high speed lane, even if they're going the speed limit. It's very aggravating to have some butthead blocking traffic flow that way....half the time they're really doing about 5 mph under the limit (given the inaccuracy of most speedometers)....and the cops know that such behavior is a great recipe for road rage during high traffic flow periods....so they've started writing tickets for obstructing that lane.

To finish my off-topic rant (I didn't want to start yet another winter cabin fever induced thread)....municipalities in Washington frequently go through campaigns to rigidly enforce crosswalk laws. They'll set up sting operations, and hand out hundreds of tickets. While I try to stop at occupied crosswalks, I sure as hell ain't stopping for a pedestrian waiting at the crosswalk when I'm on a motorcyle with cages hanging right off my ***. A tail-ender to a cage is often not that big a deal, but it will likely be fatal to a biker. I'll take a ticket anytime in that circumstance.

The other downside of these highly publicized crosswalk campaigns is that it fosters a very aggressive attitude in the community's pedestrians....they'll stride right out into the path of vehicles figuring they'll really dynamite the brakes to instantly comply with the law. Quite a few have gotten whacked that way.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Desertdog7
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Why do cops/troopers go to the driver side window? Seems like if they went to the passenger side it would be more safe? I move over because i've been the person on the shoulder and its nerve racking to have cages, big rigs flying past you when your trying to fix something. Slow down or get your F&^%#&^ A!@ over!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

Indiana was plagued with several State Troopers being killed or injured in a short period of time a few years ago while making routine traffic stops. Was discussion that some truckers were trying to "Dust " the troopers hat off their head. Not intentionally trying to injure anyone, just to embarrass an officer when his hat would fly down the Interstate. Was never proved, there was a concentrated or deliberate effort by truckers to "dust the officers. Even though CB radio traffic just prior to the accident was monitored by other truckers and officers. The increase in deaths and injuries did cause Indiana to change there whole "routine stop" procedure and vehicle placement location.
Officers now attending the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy are trained to position the cruiser at an angle that provides greater visibility to traffic approaching from behind and greater safety to the LEO and individual that was being stopped. They also are very serious about people changing lanes or slowing down as you approach a stopped officer. Has cut down on the number of officer's injured while along side of the road.

Last edited by Nellybelle; 02-10-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:27 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I was taught to move over when I was learning to drive. It drives me nuts when people don't move over when they have the room to do so.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Bobzilla
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
This is ONE OF THOSE, do we REALLY NEED a law ????
Evidentally so, cause we have one up here, too.

For God's sake, is this jus' not a NO BRAINER ???
Been doing it, my WHOLE life. Even if it is just an M.T. parked car.

Running the left lane, semi in the right lane, vehicle on shoulder up ahead. I'll slow down, flash my lights to indicate it is clear for him to move left.

And H*LL no, I aint doing it for THEM, Doing it for MY stupid azz.
Door opens, or something rolls off roof, dog walks 'round front of car on leash (potty stop), Smokey's hat blows off, who knows.
Not only that, but have you ever been on the shoulder, when these azzwyps go by, 2' away ????? WTF are they thinking ?????

Same thing in Construction Zones.

They did a "sting operation" on I-35 south of the TC. 150 tickets in no time whatsoever.

When you see and hear about people slamming into a stopped school bus with ALL the lights flashing and arms out, or that squad car lit up like an airport, aint a law in the world, gonna do a dammd thing about toopid chit like that.

But if you aint smart enough to move over and REDUCE 'your own' risk, in reality, WTF you doin' driving, anyway ????? Supposed to be "the other guy's" job ????
Hell ya Well said +1