General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Move over Law

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:07 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Years ago truckers started pulling into the left lane when a vehicle was stopped on the right. Mainly to keep from blowing the car off a bumper jack or slamming the hood down on someone.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:08 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,507 Likes on 8,454 Posts

Been the law here for years. A trooper doing a stop was hit and killed by a passing cage. They made that law real quick after that.....

Old 02-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is ONE OF THOSE, do we REALLY NEED a law ????
Evidentally so, cause we have one up here, too.

For God's sake, is this jus' not a NO BRAINER ???
Been doing it, my WHOLE life. Even if it is just an M.T. parked car.

Running the left lane, semi in the right lane, vehicle on shoulder up ahead. I'll slow down, flash my lights to indicate it is clear for him to move left.

And H*LL no, I aint doing it for THEM, Doing it for MY stupid azz.
Door opens, or something rolls off roof, dog walks 'round front of car on leash (potty stop), Smokey's hat blows off, who knows.
Not only that, but have you ever been on the shoulder, when these azzwyps go by, 2' away ????? WTF are they thinking ?????

Same thing in Construction Zones.

They did a "sting operation" on I-35 south of the TC. 150 tickets in no time whatsoever.

When you see and hear about people slamming into a stopped school bus with ALL the lights flashing and arms out, or that squad car lit up like an airport, aint a law in the world, gonna do a dammd thing about toopid chit like that.

But if you aint smart enough to move over and REDUCE 'your own' risk, in reality, WTF you doin' driving, anyway ????? Supposed to be "the other guy's" job ????

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 02-10-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:14 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Illinois has the law too. Makes sense to me, and I have no problem with it, but unfortunately, sometimes when running down the interstate, Trucks do not give you room to move over, and if you slow down, the truck on your *** will run right over you. I think it is a good thing to give emergency vehicles some room, but when the law is kinda vague, it is a disaster waiting to happen. Is it MY opinion about whether it is safe to move over or slow down, or is it the opinion of the LEO sitting on the side of the road without the benefit of my rear view mirrors and without my perspective of the traffic conditions????

Last edited by rh8234; 02-10-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:22 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

O.H.P. has been ticketing for while here for that. They are also writing ticket if you're in the hammer lane and not passing someone. Especially where the, "Left Lane for passing only" signs are.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:33 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Yup. Illinois has a law like that. You have to move to the next lane - if possible.

Illinois also has a law that says you have to move out of the left lane to allow a faster vehicle by. As the law is written, if you are doing 90 mph and someone comes up behind you doing 110 mph, you can be ticketed for not moving over. I doubt anyone has ever been written up for it, unless they didn't move over for some congressman heading down to Springfield (the actual reason the law was written).

Old 02-10-2010, 02:42 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

dono if there's a law here in NY for it, but it's pretty common sense and i do it out of force of habit anyway.

i wanted to bring up another point related to the original topic, though.

i see A LOT of cops here on the highways pull over someone for speeding or what have you and they park their patrol car HALF IN THE RIGHT LANE.

i get the premise behind offsetting the cars and giving the PO a safety zone next to the car he's pulled over, but i find this **** as an invitation to a world of hurt by anyone not paying attention

dono if anyone else has seen this, maybe it's just me.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:42 PM
doghair
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was pulled over not too long ago on a city street, I signaled and went down the road a little to get into a parking lot. When he came up he asked why I didn't just pull right over. I told him I didn't want him to have to stand in the street, he looked at me weird and said 'thanks'. I got a warning.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Fister
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This law is a common sense, some states have them others do not. Might as well do it in every state, if it is the law or not.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:52 PM
SpoilSport
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been like that in Wisconsin for about 3 years now.

Quick Reply: Move over Law