General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
I wear a vest with patches all the time.
19.36%
I have a vest with patches, but rarely wear it.
15.96%
It depends on my mood, and who I'm with.
14.26%
They make nice wall decorations.
17.66%
What's a patch?
32.77%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Patch, or no patch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 04:03 AM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Patch, or no patch?

ORIGINAL: d42s

Funny, when I bought my metric cruiser a few years ago, i did up a jean vest and wore it all the time. Picked up a few cool patches on ebay from roadratroberts.com, + got the loud pipes say lives (which I beleive, but slipons are loud enough for me) and a few others.
But now that i have bought a real bike I don't wear the vest as much, even thou it seems to be more the H-D thing to do to even thou there isn't any H-D advertising on it...........[sm=dontgetit.gif]

I don't know maybe because I got a real bike now i don't need to try and be a real biker?

A few grand on a quack and i might get an answer..[sm=huh.gif]
that is pretty funny. the most real "bikers" i know would be so regardless of what they rode, and regardless of what they wore while doing so. if you think you werent a "real biker", hey, dont blame the bike you were on...

as for patches, i can only see meaning in them if they represent something that you participated in. clubs, rides, military units, people, or such.

the ones that strangers send you along with a bill or an annual fee dont do much for me.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:14 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

God,I hope I never get drunk enough to worry about if anybody cares about whether or not I wear patches on my vest. Oh,hell guess I am.

Guess I'm out of luck,got lots of patches but no vest,and if i did have a vest, who would sew the patches on. Most of these sweathogs i drag home don't even know how to tie their shoes,let alone wield a needle. Guess I'll have to continue patchless.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 09-06-2006, 04:22 AM
Johnny B Good
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some H.D. Patches on jacket, None on my vest. The jacket is old and I wear it all through the winter. The vest, I paid $180.00 for that and for some reason although the jacket was +200.00 more, I don't want stuff sewn all over my vest. Patches remind me of bumper stickers. But 'ya know same old, same old, to each his own. If you own a Harley and want to advertise "Good for you" be proud of your bike.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: TOMMAY

God,I hope I never get drunk enough to worry about if anybody cares about whether or not I wear patches on my vest. Oh,hell guess I am.

Guess I'm out of luck,got lots of patches but no vest,and if i did have a vest, who would sew the patches on. Most of these sweathogs i drag home don't even know how to tie their shoes,let alone wield a needle. Guess I'll have to continue patchless.

Good Luck

Tom
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Especially the italicized statement.

And to stay on topic? I don't care what I look like when I ride. White longsleeve shirt (or something longsleeve), white doo rag (actually too cheap to buy one, cut up an old tee shirt. Works as a sweat holder and an immediate pipe wiper if something gets on them), HD gloves, HD 1/2 or full face depending, brown brama steeltoe boots, jeans and basic black goggles.

I have a jean jacket, but no patches. Not part of a club, association or anything that I know of. I just want to ride. No helmet stickers either *shrug* - to each their own. I like a lot of other peoples gear covered in patches and memorabelia - it tells a story. I do have an West Coast Choppers bottle opener I threw in my tacklebox but it was given to me and everyone can use a bottle popper.

I may be seen wearing a yellow safety vest if it's heavy traffic or dawn/dusk/night. Often seen spitting tobacco at stoplights, and may have a biggol mouth full of juice in between.
Going to buy a set of brown leathers from Jamin leathers just to be different I think. Should also be harder to see the road dirt on.

*in his best Forrest Gump impersonation* "That's all Ah have to sa-ay about thahat."

Old 09-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Hiram
Road Captain

Got a vest, Got a Jacket - No patches - I haven't found one yet that is worth poking holes in a couple hundred dollars worth of leather. I do have a couple of framed patches on the wall - the ones off my last FD uniform - along with the bugles and gold badge - like somebody else said - I earned them.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:17 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On my jacket I have a Patriot Guard Rider patch and an American Flag patch from one of my old uniforms. Other than that, it's plain. I just ordered a vest and will also have a flag and PGR patch sewn on. I like the pins and patches and will gladly add as many as I can on the vest. I have 4 PGR Mission pins standing by. On the other hand, I have pins that friends have given me from rides they have done - those won't go on because I didn't earn them.

I know plenty of guys that I would definitely not consider dorks and they have so much stuff on their vests, they must weight 50 lbs!

Old 09-06-2006, 04:23 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dgator66

I just wanted to type the word "dork".. dork dork dork dork dork. boy, that was fun.
<SNIP>
You are such a dork! Welcome to the club!

Old 09-06-2006, 04:59 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

$100+ for a vest?! I paid $9.99 for mine at a truck stop! Dont care how many holes I put in it. Kinda thin leather, though. I need patches and pins to make it a little thicker. Back in the day, {early 70's} I had this cut off jean jacket covered with 'flair' I rode a green 350 honda at the time. There wasn't ANYBODY, even HALF as cool as me! That vest actually got me laid! I am NOT kidding. Buuuutt....If I saw that 'me' driving down the street today I would laugh to the point of onconsiousness.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:56 PM
seikan1
Road Warrior

How do you keep the hat on your head while you are riding? I have worn ball caps (backwards) but even those want to fly off for me.

Seikan

Old 10-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have two vests. One with patches for PGR missions and one without patches for solo riding. The 42nd TEWS patch on the front of my PGR vest is 37 years old and saw combat (85 Missions/500 hours) in Vietnam (1970-71) when I was assigned to the 42nd Tactical Electronic Warfare Squadron (42nd TEWS), 388th Tactical Fighter Wing (388th TFW), Korat RTAFB, Thailand.

Quick Reply: Patch, or no patch?