General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
I wear a vest with patches all the time.
19.36%
I have a vest with patches, but rarely wear it.
15.96%
It depends on my mood, and who I'm with.
14.26%
They make nice wall decorations.
17.66%
What's a patch?
32.77%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Patch, or no patch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Tom Ricci
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Patch, or no patch?

I have an American Flag patch on most of my jackets and I wear the flag pin on the lapels of everything else. If I join the Patriot Guard Riders next year I will wear that patch with pride and respect. I'm hoping they won't need me though.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Protrucker
Tourer

ORIGINAL: whaap

I've been riding over 60 years and have never worn a patch or a pin. I do have cigar boxes full of them and it's neat on some evenings to go thru them and re-hash all the memories.

I do feel od when I buy new leather and can't wait for it to get aged properly!

I enjoy the "incognito" approach to this topic. If you want to know where I've been or what I've done, talk to me.

I'm pretty much the same. This year, when I bought my new H/D, I decided that it was also time for a new helmet & leather jacket. No patches, stickers or pins on my old or new stuff. One night I stopped in to a bar that I've been stopping at for years on my non-H/D's. I usually just blend into the woodwork, but this time I was on the new bike, wearing the new leather & helmet. This guy (H/D rider) that I've seen there many times but never talked to noticed me and started a conversation. The way that he acted & talked I could tell that he saw the newness of the bike & gear & thought that I was a RUB. He even asked me if I had just started riding.
I can't wait for the new stuff to get broken in/aged!

Old 09-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Sportshot
Cruiser

Not into patches myself but I don't make a judgement about anyone else because they do. t-Shirts, now that is a pet peeve of mine. The HD Stealers make more on their T-shirts than the bikes. Las Vegas Harley sells $27. shirts that would go for 5 or 6 bucks at Wal-Mart without the logo. I'd be embarassed to let anyone know that I bought anything from those over priced stealers.

Want a new bike in Vegas they will try to hit you up for at least an extra $2500.

Old 09-03-2006, 04:00 PM
jackhammer
Tourer

I'm not trying to **** anyone off, but what's up with patches? When I joined HOG, first thing I got was a damn patch. And I get one every year I'm a member. When I was an officer, the Blue Knights gave me some more patches. Same thing with the AMA. More patches! So now I have a drawer full of all theese patches that I will never use. One reason being, I don't like to wear a vest. Another being, I don't like to advertise. I've always been a pretty "covert" kinda guy. If I am wearing a Harley t-shirt, you can bet someone gave it to me. I ride a Harley because they are what I like, not just because of the "status". I am a member of HOG and AMA because I like certain benefits each have. That's no reason to advertise my membership though. I have nothing against patches, or anyone that wears them. Same goes for pins. Although I have found a use for them. They work really good for holding up calendars, and notes on a cork board. I'm just curious to see who all wears patches, and how you wear them. Like I said, I'm not cracking on anyone at all, just curious to see the results, and maybe a post as to why you do or don't wear them.
I keep the few that was sent to me for one reason or another in the house somewhere, they are not that important to me either. I have not patches on any of my leathers either. As for others I could care less and really never gave it any thought till now, so thanks to Dereck and Hacksaw and everyone else on this thread who expessed what they thought was a DORK, I think your all DOOOOOORRRRRRRRRKSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha he he he he he ha ha ha ha OH MY GOD!!! I'M COMMUNICATING WITH DORKS! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! DOES THAT MAKE ME A! A! A! DDDORK! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![

You dorks are funny.

Old 09-03-2006, 04:22 PM
E DOGG
Road Master

Personel Preference

No patches yet...

<<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<But STICKERS !!!!!![]

Old 09-03-2006, 05:09 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had always viewed the wearing of patches as being a proud representative of a specific organization. I think that's where it first started. There's really nothing wrong with wearing patches as long as you believe in what they represent. If not, then it really doesn't matter.

I still proudly wear a 25th Infantry Division and the Big Red One patches even though I'm no longer a member, I think I earned the right.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with motorcycles but if some of you that have never made the commitment and want to know what it's like to wear a bonified patch that mean something, go to your local Recruiting Office.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:00 AM
IVDesertRat
Banned

No patches, no pins, no leather vests,no black helmet, no harley shirts & no black boots. Never felt the need to belong to the group thing. I just like to ride.
I have three dirt bikes too and I don't own ANY Honda logo stuff either.
Been riding for 40 years and that's the way I like it.
To each his own.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:36 AM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Comfortably Numb

No vest, no patches, never will. If I wanted to look like a dork I'd become a Shriner.
HAHAHAHA

Old 09-06-2006, 03:39 AM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't need a patch. Most of the clothing and helmet already says HD on it. Club/chaprter patches are for those very involved. .02 Dave

Old 09-06-2006, 03:41 AM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior

I don't own a vest and am not into patches. If I were to collect a lot, I could see maybe framing them and hanging them on the wall somewhere.

As far as vest goes, I'd like to get a leather vest for next summer -- but jeans vests? I thought jeans vests and jeans jackets died in the '80s along with all that crappy music and fluffy hairstyles! [8D]

I do like Harley jackets and generally like the color black.

Quick Reply: Patch, or no patch?