General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
I wear a vest with patches all the time.
19.36%
I have a vest with patches, but rarely wear it.
15.96%
It depends on my mood, and who I'm with.
14.26%
They make nice wall decorations.
17.66%
What's a patch?
32.77%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Patch, or no patch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:33 PM
KenM
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Patch, or no patch?

Agreed [sm=deal.gif]- Man I can't watch those guys.
I have the HOG patch but don't own a vest and I prefer not to put it on my jacket.

ORIGINAL: haksaw

you're a dork if you have an occ patch on your vest or your one of the posers who bought those stupid vests with patches already sewn on. Those don't turn you into an instant biker, only an instant dork.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:37 PM
robp2006
Tourer

ORIGINAL: dgator66

No patches or pins. They just never were my thing. Now, t-shirts are another matter. I have been picking up a t-shirt at every dealer or motorcycle shop I stop at since the 80's. They remind me where I have been. I don't have any that I didn't buy myself. My best friend went to Hawaii and offered to buy me one, but at 55 bucks, I had to say, "Hell No". Needless to say, I have a buttload of t-shirts, but the funny thing is most of them shrank over the years. All short sleeved. Mostly black. I don't wear them every day, but it is cool seeing my kids walking around in a shirt that I bought before they were born. Some fashions never get old.
I personally get a pin from each dealer I visit. I then put them on my vest which stay in the closet. I have a t-shirt from each deal as well and I will take t-shirt that other buy for me but I use the pins to remember which dealer I have visited personally.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:35 PM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts

ORIGINAL: dhutchison

ORIGINAL: millzog

I have a vest with patches and I like wearing it. Shows that I enjoy the places and events that I have been to. I show it with the patches. Steve from Az. Oh, by the way I noticed you still have the Harley sticker on your tank ................... not to **** you off, but isn`t that kinda " advertising. " Derek, have a nice day and ride safe !
That's a far fetched "jab", and my post taken out of context. Maybe you can get a patch to protect the feelings you're wearing on your sleeve.
Thats why its" America ", we have the right to choose. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 07-26-2006, 01:09 AM
Pvt Joker
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Comfortably Numb

No vest, no patches, never will. If I wanted to look like a dork I'd become a Shriner.

That pretty much sums it up for me personally... although I think shriners are pretty cool.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:35 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have many pins or patches to worry about. I ride fairly clean in that respect. I do wear a doo rag for two reasons: 1) so the helmet doesn't smell like someones funky sweatsocks in a couple of months. 2) I'm bald. When I take my helmet off and it's sunny, the doo rag keeps my head from getting the crap burned out of it. This is good for two reasons also. 1) If you ever burn the top of your head and stand under the shower...'nuff said. 2) Go without head protection long enough with no head covering, and the cancer surgeon will be thanking you as he carves off the skin lesions that will be paying for his new cabin cruiser.
Personally, I refrain from making judgements about other people based on whether they wear pins or patches...or much anything else. I found in my youth that once I took the time to know someone, many times my impressions were often wrong. The benefit of getting older and more experienced maybe---took me long enough to figure out.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:41 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Suburban28

It's your vest, jacket, patch, or motorcycle so do with it what you like. I thought that was the point of being able to make your own choices and not just follow the crowd. If you like patches and pins, wear them. If you don't do as you please. Just my .02.
Exactly. I dont' wear patches, dont wear a vest..don't think people who do are dorks ..just not my style. If everybody dressed exactly alike life would be pretty boring.

Of course I see most harley riders in:

Black half helmet, Black t-shirt, blue jeans, black boots, dark googles, short hair.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:52 AM
d42s
Cruiser

Funny, when I bought my metric cruiser a few years ago, i did up a jean vest and wore it all the time. Picked up a few cool patches on ebay from roadratroberts.com, + got the loud pipes say lives (which I beleive, but slipons are loud enough for me) and a few others.
But now that i have bought a real bike I don't wear the vest as much, even thou it seems to be more the H-D thing to do to even thou there isn't any H-D advertising on it...........[sm=dontgetit.gif]

I don't know maybe because I got a real bike now i don't need to try and be a real biker?

A few grand on a quack and i might get an answer..[sm=huh.gif]

Old 07-26-2006, 09:00 AM
Steelhorsecowboy
Road Master

I have one vest with my American Legion Riders patch on the back and a regimental pin, rank and crossed cannons from my Army uniform and a few military oriented patches. I usually wear it when with that group. I also have a plain vest but with a lining and collar and a Harley emblem embossed by the manufacturer.

My usual riding clothes are jeans, work boots and a white long sleeved dress shirt tail out with the sleeves rolled to the elbows and cowboy hat. I roll a bandanna to a 2 inch width and then wrap it around my right wrist to use to wipe the sweat from my eyes and wrap a beer huggy around the other wrist so I am never without one. I don't like to be sun burnt so I am pretty covered up and the bandanna on the wrist makes sure I don't get sunblock in my eyes when I wipe them. Yeah, I know, dork or not that's me, a bit weird. I am a bit of a strange character.

Steel

Old 07-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

I also wear a doo rag when it is hot out. I used to think guys wore doo rags to look cool or that maybe they were trying to hide thier bald head. Wife convinced me to try one when it was hot out and it really makes a difference. My head dosen't itch from the sweat in helmet liner and I don't have "helmet hair".
I don't wear and patches, pins or a vest. I have a HD 100 year patch on my leather jacket, it came that way. So I guess I could be a DORK. Besides, I wear deck shoes sometimes when I ride and thats a dorky thing if there ever was one.[]

Old 07-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Barebackjack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm a dork since I wear cowboy boots and cowboy hats, but they are alligator and ostrich boots and the hats are 100X. Does this make me less a dork? Plus, I have horses that I paid way more than my harley's! I guess I am a real dork.

Quick Reply: Patch, or no patch?