General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob Operation Not Right

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,660 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Default Key Fob Operation Not Right

Most people that own a car know that the KEY always rules over the key fob . But H-D made the key fob rule over the key . There for if this thing shorts out in the rain , or the battery go's dead in it . When the bike is locked your key is useless. Most people keep there keys hanging on there fob,And one of the to will always work. I think the car company's got it right.

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 02-08-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:59 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

you got it wrong. if your key fob 'shorts out' or dies for whatever reason, you can still start your bike. you just have to know the security override code.

if you don't know it, then its your own damn fault if you get stuck. if there is some reason why the override code doesn't work (ie dead battery) then you aren't going anywhere anyway.

and you don't need the fob to unlock your bike. that is only for the key. the fob only does the security.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,660 Likes on 1,261 Posts

I bought my bike used and do not have a owner's manual. Where would I enter the security overide code?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:12 PM
fatvette
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
you got it wrong. if your key fob 'shorts out' or dies for whatever reason, you can still start your bike. you just have to know the security override code.

if you don't know it, then its your own damn fault if you get stuck. if there is some reason why the override code doesn't work (ie dead battery) then you aren't going anywhere anyway.

and you don't need the fob to unlock your bike. that is only for the key. the fob only does the security.

What skratch said, you need to know the override code. If you know the code there is a little card in the back of your owners manual that tells you how to use it.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:13 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
I bought my bike used and do not have a owner's manual. Where would I enter the security overide code?
A few months back there was an excellent thread that explained how to enter in a security code. I don't have it handy but do a search for "key fob code" and I bet you will find it easy enough.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:20 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

That's the beauty of not having a bike that you have to worry about all that B.S. stuff HD has added!

Old 02-08-2010, 09:46 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Damn keys for my truck have a security feature in them and copies are expensive. Sure plain copies will unlock the door but that's it.
Besides any Harley barrel key will open the gas cap. The tube from a ball point pen will work on some of the locks as well.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:47 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and just to add... don't forget to change the batteries. I rolled out of the driveway on Saturday for a ride and no go. Lucky my other fob was ok. But it was a gentle reminder to put in fresh batteries.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:59 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone know the battery # for the fob. Thanks

Old 02-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Kagan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fobs can use one of two batteries. Best way to tell is read the number off the back.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Operation Not Right