General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:57 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Simple, ..............DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:20 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Son, all of the above is VERY good advice. It's an excellent way to ruin the rest of this year's good weather riding season when it finally arrives. Cabin fever is always rough for motorcyclists living in winter climates...best take up a distracting hobby (like tormenting or being tormented on various motorcycle internet forums).

This is, indeed, 'the read between the rides'....an excessively long read for many of us.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:27 AM
doghair
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only snow riding I did was when I was young and stupid back east. One year we put screws in the knobbys of our dirt bike tires and tore up and down the street. Fell down a lot.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:42 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the roads are clear but still snow on the edges, then maybe. BUT if there is ice or packed snow/cold temps, don't do it. In the spring (so called) around here we get our bikes out early when still snow on the ground, but not wise at all if any snow, or ice on the roads. Remember, in Hollywood they can do anything, but real life can hurt.

Last edited by oldncrzy; 02-09-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:49 AM
karlmdog
Tourer

Do not do it. I had to move my bike out of the garage to rearrange some stuff. Got on, rolled her back and when I went to put my foot down, it was like I stepped on a bananna peel. Saved the bike but my inner hamstring still hurts. Can't imagine taking it out onto the road!

Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 AM
o/d
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

i've been riding every weekend with the bike on the right. tires are set up for ice with gold screws. planning on making a rear tire to use on snow covered trails. it will have over 200 ea. 1/4"-20 x 1 1/2" long carriage bolts installed from the inside of the tire.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I ride year round here in Chicago, but NOT when the roads have ice or snow pack on them. Two wheels just doesn't work well without traction.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:42 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I can't be sure that this is a serious question. Two wheels on ice or snow is a guaranteed fall. Try it and report back so we all know for sure.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:37 AM
Pan Wilson
Intermediate

A big thanks for you all taking my inquiry serious. It felt like a foolish question but I sincerely wanted these answers. I am not a new rider but I have always succumbed to caution and was just wondering if I was being overly cautious. Glad to hear a few of you have given it a shot. ... plus seeing that guy with his side car almost pisses me off. I'm sure he'll be boasting all spring.
I can wait out the season but I have a long driveway which will probably set me back an extra week waiting for it to thaw out and getting past mud season as well just to reach the road.
But damn, I'm ready to roll.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Pan Wilson
I can wait out the season but I have a long driveway which will probably set me back an extra week waiting for it to thaw out and getting past mud season as well just to reach the road.
But damn, I'm ready to roll.
I ride all year, as long as the roads are dry. Last winter, we had snow pack and ice covering the roads in my subdivision, but all the roads past that were dry. I had considered calling a friend of mine to come over with a trailer so I could haul my bike out of the neighborhood, pull it off the trailer at a parking lot down the road, and get some riding time in.

Quick Reply: Snow riding